Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Well damn it...... had a catastrophe pulling my toy hauler.....

I didn’t know you could make contact between the cab of the truck and the RV. But I do now.

4CD85DF4 13D7 4D6F A5A8 6EFDA3287963
11D80BCB 1038 485E 95CB 61964337B5A1

D

DDDonkey

Yep I never liked sliders so I was always hyper aware when in a tight turn. Too bad about that, hope they can fix it fast.

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Yep I never liked sliders so I was always hyper aware when in a tight turn. Too bad about that, hope they can fix it fast.
Yeah, I think from what I’ve seen sliders are cheesy.

I just did this to it and headed out on my trip to Talladega anyway. It has protected everything fine and I’m back now and will be dropping it off in the morning for the glass. Body guy says based upon the photo, he thinks they will be able to put the glass in before the body work is done...fingers crossed on that. :rolleyes:

87A77C6E 86DD 4C0F 97C0 CA0FB597AADE

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
White shower curtain and white duct tape so it didn’t look too s***ty for the week...:eek:

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dude, sorry to hear about your problems!

Yeah it’s definitely possible to make contact with the cab if you aren’t paying attention.

I have a steel Anderson Ultimate hitch on my fiver. I really like it. It is no longer made in the gooseneck version but the aluminum version is pretty good too.

Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection | Gooseneck Hitch for 5th Wheel Trailer

I was running a 5” offset gooseneck adapter with the Andersen king pin adapter in the rear position on my 2017 Crossroads 5th wheel and could make full 90 turns on flat ground with my 16’ F350 short box.

With my 2019 Wolfpack camper I believe the corners are rounded enough to have my AUH in a normal position.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Dude, sorry to hear about your problems!

Yeah it’s definitely possible to make contact with the cab if you aren’t paying attention.

I have a steel Anderson Ultimate hitch on my fiver. I really like it. It is no longer made in the gooseneck version but the aluminum version is pretty good too.

Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection | Gooseneck Hitch for 5th Wheel Trailer

I was running a 5” offset gooseneck adapter with the Andersen king pin adapter in the rear position on my 2017 Crossroads 5th wheel and could make full 90 turns on flat ground with my 16’ F350 short box.

With my 2019 Wolfpack camper I believe the corners are rounded enough to have my AUH in a normal position.

Thank you Vikes, much appreciated. I prefer the gooseneck to fifth wheel and 2019 WolfPack is what I’m pulling. I’ll give your options a look. :cool:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Wonder if I could find a used one???? Really prefer the gooseneck......?

Reactions: BWAF
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you Vikes, much appreciated. I prefer the gooseneck to fifth wheel and 2019 WolfPack is what I’m pulling. I’ll give your options a look. :cool:

In the pic below the camper is resting on the steel AUH with the 5” offset to the rear.

This rig is a 325pack13.

93F66DEA 5E4E 49C8 9A23 C2C793AABC5C

Here is the hitch installed with out my 5” offset. I’m still working on the right setup. You can see the dirt shadow of where the hitch sits with the offset.

093A10FD C8D5 4649 B483 BA71C810339F

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The ONLY gooseneck adapter allowed by Lippert is the Reesegoose box.

All the others have been well documented to tear up fifth wheel trailers and should be avoided at all costs.

Been there done that. Plz learn from my experience. 5th wheels are not constructed like traditional gooseneck trailers. The pin box cannot handle the moment placed on it by these adapters and will crack the frame without serious modifications and reinforcement of the pin box mounting flanges and frame.

A simple google search for Ranch Hitch Failures will yield many pages of pictures of the destruction.

I had a Ranch Hitch on a 2008 Fleetwood fiver. It was the most chucking worthless pos ever made. You could see the flex in the camper as you went down the road.

Never ever again.

Reactions: Remington and sharp
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5

All the others have been well documented to tear up fifth wheel trailers and should be avoided at all costs.

Been there done that. Plz learn from my experience. 5th wheels are not constructed like traditional gooseneck trailers. The pin box cannot handle the moment placed on it and will crack the frame without serious modifications and reinforcement of the pin box mounting flanges and frame.

I'v never had a problem but I will say I have read a few people saying this and the Andersen you posted is a great choice.

Had to look Lippert up never heard of them.

Reactions: Remington and sharp
W

WhiskeyTee

Apr 25, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Been there done that. Plz learn from my experience. 5th wheels are not constructed like traditional gooseneck trailers. The pin box cannot handle the moment placed on it by these adapters and will crack the frame without serious modifications and reinforcement of the pin box mounting flanges and frame.

A simple google search for Ranch Hitch Failures will yield many pages of pictures of the destruction.

I had a Ranch Hitch on a 2008 Fleetwood fiver. It was the most chucking worthless pos ever made. You could see the flex in the camper as you went down the road.

Never ever again.

What he said! A Gooseneck adaptor applies tremendous force in components that were not designed for it. (think cheater bar!)

Your only options are a slider, long bed truck or being very careful and hoping for the best.

This did not last very long without similar results to OP. Then I got the B&W slider. Then I got a long bed!

74BC6CB2 B709 4E03 9F34 34AA47E2236E

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Possibly maybe craigslist?

I imagine that in your area has to an absolute abundance of used camper hitches for sale.
But am I understanding that you’re counseling against the gooseneck version. The reason I’ve always liked the gooseneck style is the independence. The trailer rocks on dips and such without moving the truck around because of just a ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and Remington
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh no sir, we’re not going to do that. Wonder why RV dealers sell the gooseneck versions if they’re not designed for it....:eek:

RV dealers will sell anything that will make them a buck. Same reason auto stores sell repairs in a can, or other items of similar interest.

Lippert / Heartland will flat out deny your warranty work if an adapter is on your rig and you show up for front cap work, windows out of alignment, wall separating, cracked frame, etc.

Fifth wheels are designed to be pulled in a straight line, not at the bottom of a stick that places rotational forces on the pinbox.

Google away if you doubt me. Years of reading and pics on any of the big RV forums.

A new AUH can be had on eBay for $600 delivered.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!