Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What he said! A Gooseneck adaptor applies tremendous force in components that were not designed for it. (think cheater bar!)
Still perplexed as to why RV dealers are selling the gooseneck version????

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
But am I understanding that you’re counseling against the gooseneck version. The reason I’ve always liked the gooseneck style is the independence. The trailer rocks on dips and such without moving the truck around because of just a ball.

No doubt. I like my gooseneck trailers too!

The problem is the Fiver frame is lacking the gussets that give a traditional gooseneck it’s strength against the rotational forces.

The Reese goose box has a air bag in the nose that helps to dampen the forces. This is why it is the only gooseneck adapter allowed by Lippert (also worth nothing that Reese is owned by Lippert).

Reese Goose Box 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Air Ride Coupler Adapter - Lippert 1621 and 0719 - 20,000 lbs

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
RV dealers will sell anything that will make them a buck.
Lol, isn’t that any salesman. Anyway, my dad always pulled his 5th wheels with a gooseneck, and when I bought mine, they asked me which I preferred, not sure that it helped their sale. Anyway, I know I do not want a slider, seen horrors with them. I’ve got to research what y’all are posting here. Any of you had experience with the system I posted in the second post?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The problem is the Fiver frame is lacking the gussets that give a traditional gooseneck it’s strength against the rotational forces.
Ok, got it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No doubt. I like my gooseneck trailers too!

The Reese goose box has a air bag in the nose that helps to dampen the forces. This is why it is the only gooseneck adapter allowed by Lippert (also worth nothing that Reese is owned by Lippert).

Reese Goose Box 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Air Ride Coupler Adapter - Lippert 1621 and 0719 - 20,000 lbs
Ok, so are you recommending this gooseneck type?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In the pic below the camper is resting on the steel AUH with the 5” offset to the rear.

This rig is a 325pack13.

View attachment 126230

Here is the hitch installed with out my 5” offset. I’m still working on the right setup. You can see the dirt shadow of where the hitch sits with the offset.

View attachment 126231
Is this your preferred recommendation?

Reactions: BWAF
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hay @Montecresto sorry that happened to you. One of the reasons I only buy an 8’ bed when I’m pulling my 5er. The other reason is the short bed bucking, better with bags in the back but still did it. I always had 8’ Bed trucks and one time I let my wife pick out the truck and it was a short bed. Delt with it for about 3 years and I’ll never do it again. I know you can’t change that now.

I had the drop in Reese slider for my short bed superduty. Heavy but took some worry away. I transferred it to my 15’ (8’ bed) it’s a nice hutch and I just keep the slider locked in. I use a chain hoist in my barn to get it in and out of the truck. Easy in and out. For what it’s worth, my buddy has horses and has horse trailers. He did the goose neck with an expensive adapter with his 5er for a while He liked it but complained about no forgiveness unlike the horse trailer and sometime later you could see in the bed where it was tearing some of the bed apart. I hope all goes well with your repair.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have run both the Anderson and Reese goosebox. I really liked the Anderson but very early on discovered it’s one weakness get a 2017 and on Ford super duty. I had to make an emergency stop and the forces acting on the hitch crushed the ridges in the bed slightly. This in turn allowed the Anderson to rock a little front to rear and bowed the hitch badly. The hitch had 3/4 “ of bow in it.

Anderson stood tall and replaced the hitch under warranty but the only way to run the new one was to repair the bed. I now have
A goosebox and a 4” offset ball on the B&W turnover

Pulling a Grand Design Momentum with an 2017 SB Super Duty. The Anderson delivered a slightly smoother tow but the goosebox is a great unit as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Montecresto when I bought my camper they told me it had to have a 7 foot bed, or it could hit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Remington
advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I have run both the Anderson and Reese goosebox. I really liked the Anderson but very early on discovered it’s one weakness get a 2017 and on Ford super duty. I had to make an emergency stop and the forces acting on the hitch crushed the ridges in the bed to slightly crush. This in turn allowed the Anderson to rock a little front to rear and bowed the hitch badly. The hitch had 3/4 “ of bow in it.

Anderson stood tall and replaced the hitch under warranty but the only way to run the new one was to repair the bed. I now have
A goosebox and a 4” offset ball on the B&W turnover

Pulling a Grand Design Momentum with an 2017 SB Super Duty. The Anderson delivered a slightly smoother tow but the goosebox is a great unit as well

How do you like your Momentum?

I seriously looked at one but just couldn’t get there with the check book intact. That and gvwr was beyond my 350.

Did you have the steel AUH or the Aluminum?

Reactions: Remington
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Is this your preferred recommendation?

Yes or the Reese goose box.

The other thing I hated about my old Ranch Hitch is that since the storage was under the nose I was always backing into the hitch even more while on my knees.

I’m betting your Wolfpack is like mine in that there is a generator up front and the trips under the nose are now minimal.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No hitch can eliminate a contact between truck and trailer. You can jackknife anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
True is some since. But if you have a short box, your greatly closer with your 5er to your cab and in most,not all cases you can’t even get close to jackknifing even with some of the curved 5er noses. You have to extra carful.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
True is some since. But if you have a short box, your greatly closer with your 5er to your cab and in most,not all cases you can’t even get close to jackknifing even with some of the curved 5er noses. You have to extra carful.

Short boxes are really not the best choice for a fifth wheel or gooseneck hauler. Better to do a little more research and buy the right rig for the job. If your stuck wanting to stay with the short box. Maybe should be sticking with a bumper pull.

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
I just got a 5th wheel and I'm currently using it with a gooseneck adapter untill I buy a hitch, my issue is with my long bed truck, I have a transfer tank and a toolbox in it, that I'm going going to remove, can I buy a manual slider hitch and leave it in the back position all the time? I really don't want to deal with moving it, and to cheap to buy a auto slider. I have a 1ton dually and my camper is only 15k loaded. I think it will be fine but want some experience

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wonder if I could find a used one???? Really prefer the gooseneck......?

I have a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter, had it on my Toyhauler for 5 years, new owners of Toyhauler wanted 5th wheel so took it off. Locks right onto 5th wheel kingpin and drops onto a 2 5/16" gooseneck ball. Adapter rated for 32K , should be heavy enough. $200 all yours, paid $450 for it new.

Reactions: sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No hitch can eliminate a contact between truck and trailer. You can jackknife anything.

Sure, backing up. But IMO, moving forward, you should be able to make any turn....

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter, had it on my Toyhauler for 5 years, new owners of Toyhauler wanted 5th wheel so took it off. Locks right onto 5th wheel kingpin and drops onto a 2 5/16" gooseneck ball. Adapter rated for 32K , should be heavy enough. $200 all yours, paid $450 for it new.
Tell me more Jackal, I want it if it will work for me!!!! Sounds like what I already have though, does it move things back some????

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!