P1000 Finally

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
OK. Finally I think I'm going to get to pick up our p1k5 Friday. Is there any must asks or checks of the machine? It's a 2018 so I shouldn't have to ask about the clutches or heat fix but is there anything I should check before we pay for it or leave with it as far as things with set up? Buddy said his steering wheel alignment wasn't right. I have read where the steering linkage wasn't tight and rops wasn't tight. Things like this. Figure if we are paying there high set up fees they should be set up correctly when we buy them. Thanks in advance.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Alignment, all the hose clamps for water and air intake. Probably have to adjust the door and bed latches after a few miles. The 4wd light indicator cable adjustment is another that might need adjustment now or after a little driving. A few people has had air in the coolant system that needed burped.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Alignment, all the hose clamps for water and air intake. Probably have to adjust the door and bed latches after a few miles. The 4wd light indicator cable adjustment is another that might need adjustment now or after a little driving. A few people has had air in the coolant system that needed burped.
Is this something to check before I bring it home or after a few miles?

Reactions: BWAF
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Other than driving it in their yard and doing a go over to check for anything obvious, you're really going to have to get it home and drive it a bit before you're going to know what isn't right. My dealer is a great dealer, (I drive over two hours to get to his place, past two other Honda dealers!) and mine was set up great. After a couple hundred miles, the doors started to rattle so I bought the replacement shims and cured that. I didn't have issues with the radiator not being filled correctly so that wasn't an issue for me but you should be aware of it.

Really just get out there and enjoy your new ride.
But most importantly........

"WE NEED PICTURES!"

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Got to get it home first. Hopefully Friday morning. Then you get pics.
That’s awesome! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it! Just get it and drive it. Don’t sweat the small stuff the rest of the things you’ll take care of in time. Everything that @elkguide said above really sums it up. Hope you enjoy your new machine.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Things I found on mine: door & bed latches needed adjustment to stop rattles, steering wheel crooked, brake light switch way out of adjustment, 4x4 selector needed adjustment, and after 3 trips to the dealership my drive mode indicator never got fixed right before my warranty ran out.

advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My most expensive repair was (or is...as I'm not finished buying replacement parts for it), the exhaust system. From the overtightened and bent header flanges/studs at the heads to the broken welds at the muffler (denied even under Honda extended warranty). Second was my alignment being so far out of spec that I literally destroyed my tires on my very first afternoon of use (denied even under Honda extended warranty). Third is a required brake job at every oil change (denied even under Honda extended warranty). Meh...there's too much about this machine that is substandard to keep posting. I just hope you didn't waste your money on an extended warranty. They got that figured out!!! Good luck sir!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK. Finally I think I'm going to get to pick up our p1k5 Friday. Is there any must asks or checks of the machine? It's a 2018 so I shouldn't have to ask about the clutches or heat fix but is there anything I should check before we pay for it or leave with it as far as things with set up? Buddy said his steering wheel alignment wasn't right. I have read where the steering linkage wasn't tight and rops wasn't tight. Things like this. Figure if we are paying there high set up fees they should be set up correctly when we buy them. Thanks in advance.
Oh Jeez...where do we start!!!
Front wheel alignment.
Check/ tighten every single bolt, nut, screw, wire, harness, electrical connection. Bleed and top off fluid levels, lubricants, etc. Basically pretend as if your machine was sent to you in a kit and you had to assemble it yourself. Trust me... I wish someone had given me that advice when I bought mine.

Reactions: O2bsmitty

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Things I found on mine: door & bed latches needed adjustment to stop rattles, steering wheel crooked, brake light switch way out of adjustment, 4x4 selector needed adjustment, and after 3 trips to the dealership my drive mode indicator never got fixed right before my warranty ran out.
Yup...4WD on many of these including mine is just a sticker package. Use caution when going into areas that may require 4WD. It probably doesn't work at all or will make you regret ever selecting that mode!!! (Violent gnashing of gears and metal that will render your warranty useless under the guise of "abuse".) Ok...I'm done with my suggestions. Time to go work on my Honda!!!

Reactions: O2bsmitty
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yup...4WD on many of these including mine is just a sticker package. Use caution when going into areas that may require 4WD. It probably doesn't work at all or will make you regret ever selecting that mode!!! (Violent gnashing of gears and metal that will render your warranty useless under the guise of "abuse".) Ok...I'm done with my suggestions. Time to go work on my Honda!!!

If your rig is as bad as you say. SELL IT.

Take your losses and go somewhere that you can be happy!!!!!!

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The 4x4 hasn’t given me any problems at all. Had the cables adjusted at the first service because it wouldn’t shift into turf mode. Ever since then it’s worked fine, but the indicator on the dash doesn’t work at all.

Reactions: 0860silverado
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fact he somehow RUSTED out a STAINLESS steel muffler brings into question his claims. I ignore his comments now because I just can’t believe that much has gone that badly on one single machine.

I have personally watched people ride (abuse) these machines FAR harder than I would assume they are intended to be ridden and only had a few issues that they themselves admit to causing. (Clutch update aside)

I am not saying they can’t have a problem(s) but, with SO MANY MAJOR ISSUES on one machine, he either got one that before a factory worker quit; coated most surfaces with acid, didn’t use gaskets, ignored all tolerances, put diesel in the motor and oil in the gas tank, forgot to lube the sealed bearings in the transmission, didn’t chamfer the valves, then peppered the the thing with a shot gun for good measure or he’s damaged it by lack of maintenance or riding incapability.

There is no way one persons machine can be so poorly assembled and it make it off the production line.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!