BOX1

Firearm of choice for deer season?

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Ive heard complaints of lost deer because they will still be able to stumble off after a 6.5CM unless you use the single blunt nose Hornady round.

These complaints are coming from guys who I KNOW don’t miss and have had no issues out of their 30-06,270,243 guns.

To me the CM is a long range target and varmit caliber. Is it accurate YES VERY, is it great for large game? It will kill something if you put a hole in it, but I think there are much better rounds and calibers for large game.
6.5 CM will not struggle taking down large game. 30-30 Win by itself nearly wiped out large game in the US. My 243 is more deadly/capable than the 30-30, so naturally I take down elk with my 243, no problem. For years my family has eaten exclusively red meat harvested with my Tikka 243 - elk. Ballistics are not voodoo, the 6.5 CM makes a bigger hole and hits about 30% harder than my 243. 30-30, 243, 6.5...are all enough with proper shot placement*. If I miss the lungs and hit the gut, it might wander off. If a 300 Win Mag misses the lungs and hits the gut, it might wander off.
*By "proper shot placement" I refer to the known/ethical kills zones on an animal. I'm not making the ridiculous "yeah but you could shoot an elephant in the eye with a 22 and it will kill it" argument.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Yup a 22 will kill a deer, some rounds are just more efficient than others.

I'd rather have a quick clean takedown, no point in making the animal suffer. Also I am fat and out of shape so searching for one in the brush and thickets we have around here is not enjoyable. Im in it for the meat not the sport.
That's a statement I can agree with - quick/clean takedown; don't make the animal suffer unnecessarily; some round are more efficient than others.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
6.5 CM will not struggle taking down large game. 30-30 Win by itself nearly wiped out large game in the US. My 243 is more deadly/capable than the 30-30, so naturally I take down elk with my 243, no problem. For years my family has eaten exclusively red meat harvested with my Tikka 243 - elk. Ballistics are not voodoo, the 6.5 CM makes a bigger hole and hits about 30% harder than my 243. 30-30, 243, 6.5...are all enough with proper shot placement*. If I miss the lungs and hit the gut, it might wander off. If a 300 Win Mag misses the lungs and hits the gut, it might wander off.
*By "proper shot placement" I refer to the known/ethical kills zones on an animal. I'm not making the ridiculous "yeah but you could shoot an elephant in the eye with a 22 and it will kill it" argument.
I don't have a .243 but it is underated or people don't think it is a sexy caliber.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I don't have a .243 but it is underated or people don't think it is a sexy caliber.
A lot of folks call it a girl caliber, or youth caliber. Sure it's good for both of those things too, all the more reason to love it. I love the 243 for several reasons:
1. Inherently accurate cartridge (has a decorated distance/accuracy/competition history)
2. Low-recoil
3. Short action
4. Main stream - lots of options for loads/cartridges, affordable to shoot, lots of knowledge
5. VERSATILE! - with the lightest varmint loads it matches the 22-250 for flat trajectory, but hits with more authority; yet with 100gr soft points I can take the largest game I will ever want to hunt.
Vid 1:
Vid 2:

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I don't understand the "stumble off". Most deer run if shot in the body unless it is a spinal shot. I have only killed 5 deer with my 6.5 CM. 3 were spine shots and went straight down. One a body shot ran about 30 yards, the other about 60.
The only problem I have heard was a person that used target rounds. They are made to punch paper and are not recommended for any type of hunting. The bullet is not constructed the same the same. I have killed deer with 30-06, 270, 243, 6.5 swe., 8mm06, 45-70, 7 mm Mauser, 6.5CM, 12 and 20 gage shotgun and have had them run. So I don't understand "stumble off" statement.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ill probably use my Mathews Halon with 2 blade rage during firearm season as well. If I take a rifle it will be a .224 valkyrie shooting 90 gr federal fusion bullets. Ive got a Remington 783 in .270 but I dont have near the confidence in its accuracy as I do the valkyrie.

Huntnbuddy2

Huntnbuddy2

Lifetime Member
Apr 23, 2017
Sand Mtn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Matthews switchback is my hunting method of choice but if i use a rifle it is either of my Browning BARs. One is a 300 WM and the other is a 270 both with Leopold scopes. I also have a savage in 270 with synthetic stock for when i am not worried if it gets dinged up. I retired my favorite gun a few years ago a Winchester Model 70 in 300 WM.

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
C3BE7285 6AF0 4ED9 B046 F29C5BDC0CF0
2B7F0F54 FD42 473E A9AC 857D9F099F2C

E46DF1A0 2498 4BDC 8044 FC7DBE568FDA

Just finished (mule) deer season here, it was a Tikka T3 year. First deer was taken by my 19 year old by himself with the (youth and wimmen) 243 that the kids learned on and all took their first deer with. That gun has killed more deer than anything in my safe, and all 8 or so went down quickly. He had a choice of anything I own and took the 243 because he is so confident in it. Barnes 80 grain TTSX factory load shoots .7 MOA in this gun. (That's a copper bullet).

Second deer was taken by my 21 year old son with a 6.5 CM, 304 yards. He didn't "stumble off". Bounded twice and piled up dead.

Last one was taken by the old guy (yours truly) with the same 6.5 CM. Anchored him at 120 yd.

Sure glad we got lucky and made that target round work. Hornady 143 ELDX factory ammo which shoots .5 MOA out of the Tikka.

Let's face it guys. They're deer. Mule deer are larger and tougher than whitetails but still not that hard to kill. Run the centerfire gun you have confidence in with a good bullet, put it in the boiler room, and they're going down.

Edit to add: I am a HUGE Tikka T3 fan. I have Dakota and Cooper and customs etc but these Tikkas shoot as well as any for 6 Benjamins or less. Have a YoDave spring in the 6.5 and also a 7mm Rem Mag, the 243 didn't need it. Also have one in 308 that I put a Bell and Carlson stock on. Every one is solidly under MOA with factory ammo, and with a little load development can do .5 MOA. If you're in the market, buy yourself a Tikka and put any savings toward a better scope.

Last edited:
Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
Went to set my blind up for opening day of rifle season tomorrow here in wv. Ran into some folks sighting there rifles in they had two ruger m77 markIII compacts and man I fell in love. Defiantly the next rifle I will purchase what a tack driver!!!!

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 167396 View attachment 167397

View attachment 167399

Just finished (mule) deer season here, it was a Tikka T3 year. First deer was taken by my 19 year old by himself with the (youth and wimmen) 243 that the kids learned on and all took their first deer with. That gun has killed more deer than anything in my safe, and all 8 or so went down quickly. He had a choice of anything I own and took the 243 because he is so confident in it. Barnes 80 grain TTSX factory load shoots .7 MOA in this gun. (That's a copper bullet).

Second deer was taken by my 21 year old son with a 6.5 CM, 304 yards. He didn't "stumble off". Bounded twice and piled up dead.

Last one was taken by the old guy (yours truly) with the same 6.5 CM. Anchored him at 120 yd.

Sure glad we got lucky and made that target round work. Hornady 143 ELDX factory ammo which shoots .5 MOA out of the Tikka.

Let's face it guys. They're deer. Mule deer are larger and tougher than whitetails but still not that hard to kill. Run the centerfire gun you have confidence in with a good bullet, put it in the boiler room, and they're going down.

Edit to add: I am a HUGE Tikka T3 fan. I have Dakota and Cooper and customs etc but these Tikkas shoot as well as any for 6 Benjamins or less. Have a YoDave spring in the 6.5 and also a 7mm Rem Mag, the 243 didn't need it. Also have one in 308 that I put a Bell and Carlson stock on. Every one is solidly under MOA with factory ammo, and with a little load development can do .5 MOA. If you're in the market, buy yourself a Tikka and put any savings toward a better scope.
Great mule deer.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 167396 View attachment 167397

View attachment 167399

If it works it works. Who am I to argue with success.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!