P500 First round of mods complete, planning phase 2.. come on in!

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Had my P5 almost 3 months now and have done what I consider to be a pretty good amount of mods/accessories already.. pretty much got most of the ‘immediate essentials’ done to get me through some good riding this season. Time for planning out & researching Phase 2:

1) LED light bar for front/ backup LED pod for back. Any recommendations? Example pics? Brands to stay away from? How do you wire these up?

2) Lift Kit- What are the options here that won’t put too much stress on the joints? How much actual gain in ground clearance should I expect?

3) Shocks adjustment- I have a 2017 so the shocks are adjustable. I’d like the ride to be a tad smoother when slow cruising around 10-15 mph. What’s the procedure for this adjustment? Pics would help.

4) winch- what do you guys recommend for this?

5) Reverse override mod- I’ve tried this twice now and can’t get it to work. Turning the nuts one direction just loosens the lever and going the other way makes the lever super tight- neither allows it to override the feature. Here’s a pic.. which way should the nuts be going??
F3250bf363538ea454cbb52141ba26d4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
The rev mod looks right to me. Force it to the last thread and try again.

Ok so I did go the right way with it? (both nuts go TOWARDS the cab/dashboard). It started feeling really tight so I guess I was a little worried I’d break something.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500

Yep, that was the video I used when I first tried it.. it’s like the simplest thing to do but when I attempt it, it requires way more force than what it appears in this video.. that’s why I stopped and decided to ask you guys as I didn’t want something to all of a sudden just snap and then be stuck having to replace the cable. Just wondering why mine seems to be the only one that requires more force to get the nuts all the back towards the dashboard side of the threads.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Well hopefully I’ll have the reverse mod working this weekend. As for the rest of the stuff.. any suggestions on stuff like a winch, lift, light bar?

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
So what’s recommended for a winch.. What poundage? What accessories are needed with it? Preferable some affordable options

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
So what’s recommended for a winch.. What poundage? What accessories are needed with it? Preferable some affordable options

Brand is up to you, several good ones out there, I have a KFI, some are steadfast about Warn and Terra has good reviews. I wouldn't go any less than a 3500 lb.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is just one man's opinion. :)

Start out with
3500 lb winch with synthetic line (doesn't hurt to go bigger if you want, but I wouldn't go smaller)
A tree saver/tow strap
A shackle (make sure it fits your tree saver strap and your winch hook)
A pair of gloves
Recovery bag (double use as a line damper in case something doesn't go as planned)

You can add additional recovery gear as funds permit (in no particular order).
Wireless remote
Shackles - 4
Snatch blocks - 2
Tree savers - 3
Line dampers - 2 (using the bag as a third)
Extra/spare winch line

Personally, I don't have it all yet, but this my current plan for the P500. Of course a lot depends on where you ride, how much of that is alone (meaning single machine) and how often you will use it. I've not had the pleasure of getting stuck with the P500 yet. Our ATV's were always light enough that we never had winches on them. We just used a solid tow strap when we got one stuck.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have been stuck with mine... tree saver, shackles, extra strap because you may not reach and a snatch block are about mandatory. After getting stuck I also picked up a folding shovel. Trying to move mud with a stick just sucked. :rolleyes:

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Awesome guys, really helpful stuff. Got a nice folding shovel in my box already so I guess I’ve made a start!

As for wiring.. does it connect straight to the battery terminals with a switch in between that can be mounted? Like someone said in a response, growing up all my 4wheelers were light enough to either get off and maneuver out of trouble with a buddy’s help or be pulled out with another 4-wheeler.. so I have zero experience using a winch. My wife and I ride muddy/rutted wooded trails from time to time (mostly by ourselves, no group) so I just feel if I had a winch I wouldn’t be as hesitant to try out some of the difficult spots we encounter.

Reactions: trigger
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome guys, really helpful stuff. Got a nice folding shovel in my box already so I guess I’ve made a start!

As for wiring.. does it connect straight to the battery terminals with a switch in between that can be mounted? Like someone said in a response, growing up all my 4wheelers were light enough to either get off and maneuver out of trouble with a buddy’s help or be pulled out with another 4-wheeler.. so I have zero experience using a winch. My wife and I ride muddy/rutted wooded trails from time to time (mostly by ourselves, no group) so I just feel if I had a winch I wouldn’t be as hesitant to try out some of the difficult spots we encounter.

Probably depends on the manufacturer, but my winch came with a solenoid. Hot from it (red) to battery. Ground from it (black) to frame near battery box (or to battery depending on preference). Other two main leads from it go to the winch (yellow & blue). Then it had a small gauge wire lead to a plug for the wired in/out rocker switch and a line to tap into a key on power source which I got from where the Honda accessory harness plugs into. It was all color coded with clear directions for me.

I am right there with you. I put the winch on the P500 because I knew the wife and I couldn't move it without a lot of help and we tend to ride it by ourselves more than any of the other off road toys I've ever owned.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Smart move, when I got mine stuck it was just me and the wife out in the middle of nowhere. Went through a series of rutted mud holes and no way to turn around. Got stuck in the last one, about 15 more feet and I would've made it through. Took a bit to hook up, shovel mud and winch out. Then, wouldn't you know, a couple of other machines came along. :rolleyes:

Stuck 1

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Smart move, when I got mine stuck it was just me and the wife out in the middle of nowhere. Went through a series of rutted mud holes and no way to turn around. Got stuck in the last one, about 15 more feet and I would've made it through. Took a bit to hook up, shovel mud and winch out. Then, wouldn't you know, a couple of other machines came along. :rolleyes:

View attachment 75213

Hahaaaa figures! That’s some THICK mud right there. I can see it piling up there in front of the a-arms.

On a slightly different note, but still with the topic of the thread.. what brand/watt light bar do you have mounted there? That looks exactly like what I’m wanting to mount in the exact place on the roof. Does it help out a lot? Easy to install/wire?

Reactions: trigger
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Lights it up pretty good for being a 22". Takes a beating up there, but if you do the @jak9922 threaded rod mod, it'll take it.

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Off-Road-Light-Harness-Switch/dp/B00N48RB70?tag=sxsweb24-20

View attachment 75230

Thanks. This one seams to be of pretty good quality compared to some of the ones I was seeing in the $30-$40 range. Would definitely pay in the $80 range to not have Quality issues right out the box.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!