P500 First Servicing Conflicting Information

M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Greetings from Middle Tennessee. I bought a leftover but brand new 2018 P500 this spring. I love this thing, it's used for work around my property and also for play in the hills and trails through it. The wrench icon just lit up on the display telling me it's time for it's first servicing. I called the dealer I bought it from and with my discount it will cost $380 plus tax. They said that covers oil change, checking and topping off fluids, parts, and valve adjustment. Said it's 3.5 hours of work. I Called another nearby Honda dealer and they said $150 plus parts and that essentially covers an oil change and checking and topping off fluids. They said it would be silly to do a valve adjustment with only a little over 20 hours or 100 miles or so and I tend to agree. I asked them if not doing do the valve adjustment would void my warranty and they said no. Now, for $150 plus parts I can do that servicing myself. I can not do the valve adjustment. What would you do in this case? My main concern is I don't want to void the warranty I have, it just seems likeone plan is too basic and one is overkill.
IMG 20200421 172918

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Id take it to them the 150$ dealer and let them at it. Thats really not bad you could pretty much do it all yourself for around 70 bucks. And later if valves start clattering there are plenty of writeups and info on this forum for adjusting valves.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I would recommend you buy the Honda OEM oil filter and recommended Honda oil from the dealer and do it yourself. Also there are a couple of O-rings that you may or may not need, depending on whether you loose or pinch one. Get them just in case. Keep all the recipts and you will be OK warranty wise.

There is some helpful information on the forum on P500 oil change. You might want to pick up some plastic rivits, just in case you mess one up. It's no big deal even if you do.

It's not that hard to do. A little bit of a PITA the first time, just like a lot of things, but no big deal after that.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Id take it to them the 150$ dealer and let them at it. Thats really not bad you could pretty much do it all yourself for around 70 bucks. And later if valves start clattering there are plenty of writeups and info on this forum for adjusting valves.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I agree that $150 is fair, if you don't want to mess with it. I also agree that a valve adjustment should not be necessary.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I did my own service including the valve check. If you are comfortable doing your own fluid change then I wouldn’t pay to have it done. You are not required to have the dealer do any service to maintain your warranty. If you decide to do it yourself just keep records and save your receipts. I like Honda fluids but you are also not required to use Honda fluids or filters as long as the fluids you choose meet Honda’s requirements.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Greetings from Middle Tennessee. I bought a leftover but brand new 2018 P500 this spring. I love this thing, it's used for work around my property and also for play in the hills and trails through it. The wrench icon just lit up on the display telling me it's time for it's first servicing. I called the dealer I bought it from and with my discount it will cost $380 plus tax. They said that covers oil change, checking and topping off fluids, parts, and valve adjustment. Said it's 3.5 hours of work. I Called another nearby Honda dealer and they said $150 plus parts and that essentially covers an oil change and checking and topping off fluids. They said it would be silly to do a valve adjustment with only a little over 20 hours or 100 miles or so and I tend to agree. I asked them if not doing do the valve adjustment would void my warranty and they said no. Now, for $150 plus parts I can do that servicing myself. I can not do the valve adjustment. What would you do in this case? My main concern is I don't want to void the warranty I have, it just seems likeone plan is too basic and one is overkill.View attachment 214044
Just do it yourself . It's super easy . Don't mess with the valves .

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I Do my own service too but Make sure you do it correct .use the correct oil use crush washers do not over tighten things and it will go great and you will save money Have fun and good luck.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I did the initial service at 100mi, and the valve adjustment at 500mi. I use to be the parts and service manager at the dealership where I bought my 500, and we never did advise a valve adjustment on a new machine unless there was some type of issue before 500mi.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Do it yourself to get familiar with the machine. Much how-to info here, including cutting an access hole under the seat for all the future oil changes. I have never checked the valves in 3 yrs.

M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the excellent input! I'm going to do the servicing myself including the oil change, changing oil in front and rear differentials to drain out any possible metal shavings from manufacture and break-in and anything else on the Honda checklist other than the valve adjustment.

Meyers

Meyers

Jul 22, 2020
Madison ohio
Ownership

1. 500
A little frustrated now. Attempted my first oil change today. Oil drain plug extremely tight all the way out. Crush washer crushed. Removed crush washer. Oil drain plug starts but binds while tightening with my fingers. Don’t want to force it. Anybody else have this issue. Calling dealer in am.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
A little frustrated now. Attempted my first oil change today. Oil drain plug extremely tight all the way out. Crush washer crushed. Removed crush washer. Oil drain plug starts but binds while tightening with my fingers. Don’t want to force it. Anybody else have this issue. Calling dealer in am.
Calling the Dealer is the best option in my feeble mind. You could get a bottom tap and chase the threads and a new bolt, be very careful if you take this upon yourself with aluminum.

Reactions: Mudwing
Meyers

Meyers

Jul 22, 2020
Madison ohio
Ownership

1. 500

Meyers

Meyers

Jul 22, 2020
Madison ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Took machine to the dealer today. He said he will take pics and send to Honda to see if it’s covered under warranty. If covered he said probably a couple months to repair. If it’s not covered I will fix it myself. Dealer said first 2 threads bad and others pushed in. Have to wait and see I guess.

• Sad
Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well that sucks, Meyers. :( It's a rather important bolt. :oops: At least you know about it, if the dealer had done the first service they may have just looked the other way. :(

I had my Talon's first service done by the dealer to cover my butt on the warranty but they bent me right over ($$$) for doing it. :(

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does anyone know the oil drain plug bolt size? I found it for the 1000 but not the 500.
RMATV lists 12mm for a 2017 500 (didn't know your year).
Take the drain bolt and match it to a tap. Pack the flutes of the tap with grease to catch any shavings and chase the threads. Maybe even pour a quart through it afterwards.
I doubt your dealership will go to the effort of replacing a crankcase just for this issue. There are also self tapping oversized drain plugs out there that might work.

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!