P1000 For you electrical geniuses ....

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd like to keep my buggy on a battery tender/trickle charger. I'll soon be installing a second battery system(still waiting on parts), and I'm wondering if there's such a thing as a single tender that will take care of both batteries. Something more "elegant" than attaching a different tender to each battery. In a perfect world, I'd wire both batteries to a receptacle on the dash and just plug the tender into that dash receptacle when in storage. I'm probably just dreaming too big ...

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are installing a isolator between the batteries, theoretically the tender should charge both batteries when hooked up to either battery.
^^^^This^^^^

Reactions: Mopower58
B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've go the isolator kit sold in the store here. So one tender on the main battery will keep the second battery topped off when the main is topped off?

Reactions: Tramguage1
J

JTW

What they said.. hook the battery tender up to the stock battery and you’re good.

J

JTW

If you are installing a isolator between the batteries, theoretically the tender should charge both batteries when hooked up to either battery.
How does it work if you hook it up to that second battery? I would think it would only charge the auxiliary battery.. how would it allow you to charge but not allow voltage drop?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How does it work if you hook it up to that second battery? I would think it would only charge the auxiliary battery.. how would it allow you to charge but not allow voltage drop?
The way I've got mine wired, the secondary battery isn't maintained unless the primary battery is satisfied and the primary battery won't feed the secondary battery, if the secondary battery goes dead, if properly installed? But I'm no electrical genius, but it works!

Reactions: Trapper5885
advertisement
J

JTW

The way I've got mine wired, the secondary battery isn't maintained unless the primary battery is satisfied and the primary battery won't feed the secondary battery, if the secondary battery goes dead, if properly installed? But I'm no electrical genius, but it works!
That’s not what I asked...

Reactions: TxDoc
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That’s not what I asked...
Inspector Klueso impersonation, I kneeeew what i saeeed! ( PINK PANTHER - Peter Sellers )

J

JTW

The TrueAm isolator is ambidextrous.

When one [either] battery reaches 12.8v the isolator will close bridging them together. .
Got ya... Have they always been that way? Seems mine had to go a certain way? Also, how can it allow charge but not drain and be an ambidextrous type setup? In my mind i think of it working like a check valve.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Got ya... Have they always been that way? Seems mine had to go a certain way? Also, how can it allow charge but not drain and be an ambidextrous type setup? In my mind i think of it working like a check valve.
You got it! If there is a drain on the primary battery and it not up to full charge, the secondary battery will receive a charge, pretty cleaver design. I run voltage meters for both batteries, just to keep up with what's going on.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I dont think they have always been like that tho. I know from v15 on has. We are on v18 now.

A battery is considered "charging" above 12.7 volts. As long as one (not both) is above this threahhold they should remain connected.... i think!

Once one drops to 12.7, it pulls opposite direction until both are at 12.7 for [x] seconds. Then the isolator opens and stops the bridge. Thus isolating the 2 batteries from each other.

This is what TrueAm has said about it anyways.

Reactions: JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You guys are awesome. Thanks!

Get a SAE plug from blue sea systems and put it in the dash or somewhere you prefer. I got the idea from @ohanacreek, he put his in the front fender I think... Then you can plug your battery tender straight to that. I use mine all winter and it sure is handy.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!