P1000 For you electrical geniuses ....

J

JTW

I dont think they have always been like that tho. I know from v15 on has. We are on v18 now.

A battery is considered "charging" above 12.7 volts. As long as one (not both) is above this threahhold they should remain connected.... i think!

Once one drops to 12.7, it pulls opposite direction until both are at 12.7 for [x] seconds. Then the isolator opens and stops the bridge. Thus isolating the 2 batteries from each other.

This is what TrueAm has said about it anyways.
Got ya... that makes sense. But it seems to me you’re basically just wiring them in parallel then with the new isolators.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Got ya... that makes sense. But it seems to me you’re basically just wiring them in parallel then with the new isolators.
Yes. Thats the general purpose of all isolators. With a auto disconnect.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes.. It just seems that there’s less isolation between them with the newer isolators
But its not.
Battery resting voltage is generally 12.7 or less so it disconnects once both voltages reach this point. +- few seconds.

If you are drawing off a battery. The second will support the other in either direcrion ONLY IF it is receiving a charge or currently is overcharged [12.8v+].

All automatically.

So in other words.
Just hook it up and dont leave your key on.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So … you don't know me very well. ;)
There is NO solution for leaving the key on.
You can only hope
1 - you don't have your relays(stinger) set to key-on, or currently turned on.
2 - you catch it before both batteries go dead.
3 - you have a jump wire so you can pull from the second battery if its not dead.

Got that @Pilot2016

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
There is NO solution for leaving the key on.
You can only hope
1 - you don't have your relays(stinger) set to key-on, or currently turned on.
2 - you catch it before both batteries go dead.
3 - you have a jump wire so you can pull from the second battery if its not dead.

Got that @Pilot2016
I resemble that remark!!!!!😅😅👍👍
Leaving the key on is an unforgiving situation ... been there done that. Glad it happened in my garage🤪🤪

P

pukemon

Apr 25, 2020
tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
But its not.
Battery resting voltage is generally 12.7 or less so it disconnects once both voltages reach this point. +- few seconds.

If you are drawing off a battery. The second will support the other in either direcrion ONLY IF it is receiving a charge or currently is overcharged [12.8v+].

All automatically.

So in other words.
Just hook it up and dont leave your key on.

did you just say battery resting voltage is generally 12.7v? if that is the case it's almost time to get a new battery. a fresh 12v battery will usually weigh in at 14v+.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
did you just say battery resting voltage is generally 12.7v? if that is the case it's almost time to get a new battery. a fresh 12v battery will usually weigh in at 14v+.
He’s saying when the machine isn’t running, your engine has to be running to get 14+ volts.

Last edited:
advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
He saying when the machine isn’t running, your engine has to be running to get 14+ volts.
Correct.

The resting/holding voltage of a lead acid battery is normally around 12.7v.
Meaning the battery in your utv after sitting overnight will be 12.7 normally. This does vary by manufacture and battery type.

A charging battery in your machine should be around 14v with no addational draw.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My '20 Talon (actual battery age unknown). Engine off for several days, key off, the VM has it's own switch.

I v2gT84s M

Reactions: Hondasxs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!