ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I added 1.5” of silver showing (to the jam nut) on the front and 3/4” to the rear. I’m goig to try this for a bit and may need a little more. But with my High Lifter lift and 28” terrabites I have an even 14” of ground clearlace across the belly.
So why did you add so much spring preload? I currently backed mine off to 3/4" above the jam nut front and 1" rear with the compression damping set at firm. My static sag is about 25% unloaded and 30% with the wife and I. I previously was at 1" preload front and 1-3/8" rear but the rebound was harsh in med front and firm rear. I'm hoping to have more spring travel now but more roll stability with the compression set higher.

The big difference in preload may be loaded weight. I carry no cargo just wife, kiddo and myself. Nothing in the bed and my tools are under the hood.

R

Rodney960

Mar 11, 2017
South
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
just ordered the fox shocks front and rear. Any takers on my stock ones the back are self leveling.700 miles on them
Would they work for the PK1-3

J

JTW

So why did you add so much spring preload? I currently backed mine off to 3/4" above the jam nut front and 1" rear with the compression damping set at firm. My static sag is about 25% unloaded and 30% with the wife and I. I previously was at 1" preload front and 1-3/8" rear but the rebound was harsh in med front and firm rear. I'm hoping to have more spring travel now but more roll stability with the compression set higher.

The big difference in preload may be loaded weight. I carry no cargo just wife, kiddo and myself. Nothing in the bed and my tools are under the hood.
Weight and body roll.. I’ve got a lot of crap on mine so it’s heavy to begin with.. whenever I ride I’ve always got it loaded heavy.. not to mention it also adds clearance. I have the HL lift on as well and I immediately noticed a loose feeling to the machine after installing the foxes over the factory shocks. At the overland ride I had a hard time staying on all 4 due to all the weight and the body roll I was getting. Hence my need to maybe add more preload. The foxes come setup for a stock machine, so it only makes sense that adding some preload would be necessary. Now I’m still playing with it. And I really don't need to run as heavy, but those that had more preload than I did with very similar setups didn’t have as much issue as I did. I felt more like I was driving my old p500 than I did a PK5.

J

JTW

there like 699,00 on the Honda site. Rear load leveling I would do better than that pm me if interested
Fox rears are $650...

I sold my rears $250 shipped. Shipping will run you about $50.

M

markc

May 31, 2017
eastern kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
after a few rides under my belt with the fox on.im pretty happy over all ride is much better only thing a little concern with is the rear seems to be a little loose maybe to soft. the shocks are as removed them from the box have not adjusted nothing.im thanking maybe either put the rear on firm or crank the preload down some. Any help would be great

J

JTW

after a few rides under my belt with the fox on.im pretty happy over all ride is much better only thing a little concern with is the rear seems to be a little loose maybe to soft. the shocks are as removed them from the box have not adjusted nothing.im thanking maybe either put the rear on firm or crank the preload down some.Any help would be great
Add preload... you’re not getting the benefits of the shock if you’re just maxing them out to get the ride you want.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Add preload... you’re not getting the benefits of the shock if you’re just maxing them out to get the ride you want.

I did the opposite, my rear was too soft in the medium compression setting so I removed a bit preload and switched to firm. My goal was to maintain the low speed ride quality but utilize more shock and spring travel at high speed

J

JTW

I did the opposite, my rear was too soft in the medium compression setting so I removed a bit preload and switched to firm. My goal was to maintain the low speed ride quality but utilize more shock and spring travel at high speed
That’s great until you haul a heavy load.. that’s the issue I ran into at the overland ride. I’m trying to get mine adjusted where I mostly leave them on medium but can adjust up or down as needed.

Reactions: swsebek
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s great until you haul a heavy load.. that’s the issue I ran into at the overland ride. I’m trying to get mine adjusted where I mostly leave them on medium but can adjust up or down as needed.

If I specifically had to haul a heavy load I would probably reduce speed or if I was making a weekend of it I'd load up and adjust the preload.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hell and yes.. i just got back from a 3 days ride at Hidden Falls ( rocky trails ) on the new fronts. My wife and I could not believe a much difference just the fronts made.. Best money I've spent in a while..it's like a whole different machine.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thats where the Elka Stage 5 are different you can adjust both high and low speed shaft travel, vie of two different compression knobs and have a third adjustment for rebound.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Thats where the Elka Stage 5 are different you can adjust both high and low speed shaft travel, vie of two different compression knobs and have a third adjustment for rebound.

Like Smitty said, two knobs are better then one :)

I haven't install my rear shocks yet :( but I am happy with my fronts I do not know if they are worth the money but I shore do like the way the front ones perform, I know this is wrong but I adjusted my high and low speed as soft as I could and cranked up the high speed nob to control the bottoming out resistance.

My butt meter is telling me there is a difference, I think they suck up more bumps with out bottoming out as much as the Fox's, who knows maybe my views is jaded because I drank the cool-aide.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
just ordered the fox shocks front and rear. Any takers on my stock ones the back are self leveling.700 miles on them
Do you still have these?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!