Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You have me intrigued now. Enough to take the whole pump out and drain and dry out the whole tank. I just keep going back to why is one firing and the other isnt
Why don't you hold up a little, I tagged @HondaTech for some expert advice, he's very knowledgeable on Hondas.

H

HondaTech

@Smitty335 Must have passed over your tag

When we use to pull units in and out for display in front tof the building they would display these symptoms if driven like that for a good time.

The short trips would causes the engine to never come off the cold Starr enrichment cycle and they would blow fluid out if the exhaust when applying heavy throttle.

Your unit running on only one cylinder may have wiped a spark plug as well. They hate being ran on short trips over and over or with stale fuel. That's where I'd start first and then go ride it aggressively to get the engine up to temperature and clean out the exhaust.

Edit: Did not read the entire thread. Scratch the spark plug thing then. So it's still running on only 1 cylinder?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
here is what we know

-low miles - around 300ish
-started with a dead battery
-once running, sounded odd
-fuel residue on the floor coming out of exhaust
-fuel was replaced
-plugs were replaced
-air filter was found to be compromised and sand/dirt down the clean side of the airbag while checking stuff
-has spark on both plugs - verified visually
-has fuel to both cylinders
-same cylinder will not fire even with spark and fuel

-compression unknown

Last edited:
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why don't you hold up a little, I tagged @HondaTech for some expert advice, he's very knowledgeable on Hondas.
Will do. Thanks.

When we use to pull units in and out for display in front tof the building they would display these symptoms if driven like that for a good time.

The short trips would causes the engine to never come off the cold Starr enrichment cycle and they would blow fluid out if the exhaust when applying heavy throttle.

Your unit running on only one cylinder may have wiped a spark plug as well. They hate being ran on short trips over and over or with stale fuel. That's where I'd start first and then go ride it aggressively to get the engine up to temperature and clean out the exhaust.

Edit: Did not read the entire thread. Scratch the spark plug thing then. So it's still running on only 1 cylinder?
yes it’s only running on one cylinder. I only
Let it run for 2-3 min though because I’m scared of doing damage if it’s only running on one cylinder and I haven’t drove it around since it did this. Just let it run for a few min and then shut it off. Drained as much fuel as I could from the opening and put in a half bottle of heat and injector cleaner and a few gallons of fresh ethanol
Free gas. I can holder the inner header pipe continuously while the rear outer pipe instantly warms up where u can’t touch it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Yes and it's not my unit. This thread has been going on for a long time and I tried to just give you the synopsis of where he's at. I really think he just needs a check list of things to check.The guy that owns it is @Fordpickupjaybird2003 .Thanks

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
here is what we know

-started with a dead battery
-once running, sounded odd
-fuel residue on the floor coming out of exhaust
-fuel was replaced
-plugs were replaced
-filter was compromised and sand/dirt down the intake
-has spark on both plugs - verified visually
-has fuel to both cylinders
-same cylinder will not fire even with spark and fuel
-compression unknown
That’s correct.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think we should get too distracted with sand/dirt down the intake. Yes, not good and shame on Honda but it's not like he ran the Baja with no air cleaner. Only a compression check will tell us if debris killed that cylinder.

We know - 1. The fuel is good enough that it will run on one cylinder. 2. One cylinder definitely isn't firing, he can hold his hand on that exhaust when running. 3. Something is wrong with that injector or its wiring. I asked earlier if Honda fixed the breaking injector wiring at the plug end or if it's still happening to some recent models, 2021 in this case.

Are the two injectors identical, can he switch them to see if the problem follows the injector? The wire cannot be switched with it because of the 270* firing order, so the injector wiring for cylinder 1 has to stay on cylinder 1 and 2 stays with 2.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

The raw fuel should mean the injector is working, it's also not throwing a code so the wiring is most likely ok.

This seems to be a spark/Ignition issue. Maybe take a look at the coil wiring and see if a mouse has gotten in there. Or check the ECM wiring for possible rodent issues there as well.

Since it's firing the one cylinder ok, then the power side of the ignition system is working, atleast until it separates to hit both coils.

Can you check for key on power at the coil that is isnt running (I belive the wire color js black with red stripe). It should have battery voltage with the key in the run/on position.

Does it try to pick up that cylinder at all when applying throttle?

How much debris went down the intake?

H

HondaTech

Ok, went back and read some more post.

Way back when you pulled the old plugs the one with tape was the non firing cylinder correct?

That plug wasn't getting any fuel, or it's appears that way. If you pull the dead cylinder plug again, is it wet with fuel?

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The raw fuel should mean the injector is working, it's also not throwing a code so the wiring is most likely ok.

This seems to be a spark/Ignition issue. Maybe take a look at the coil wiring and see if a mouse has gotten in there. Or check the ECM wiring for possible rodent issues there as well.

Since it's firing the one cylinder ok, then the power side of the ignition system is working, atleast until it separates to hit both coils.

Can you check for key on power at the coil that is isnt running (I belive the wire color js black with red stripe). It should have battery voltage with the key in the run/on position.

Where is the ecm wiring? Under the seat drivers side or under the hood?

I would say the coil
Wiring is good because I can put a spark plug in that coil and hold it against the motor and throw a spark an inch away. No signs of mouse chew from the top or bottom side in that area.
Ok, went back and read some more post.

Way back when you pulled the old plugs the one with tape was the non firing cylinder correct?

That plug wasn't getting any fuel, or it's appears that way. If you pull the dead cylinder plug again, is it wet with fuel?
that was the non firing cylinder. It was washed from
All of the fuel going in and out the exhaust. I put the new plug in and ran it. Pulled it back out and it was wet with fuel and smelled of good gas.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I will check for key on power at the coil. I haven’t grabbed it with running more throttle because I was scared of ruining the motor more. Can I hurt it by applying throttle with only one cylinder working?
As far as debris I couldn’t tell you. I just no there was probably 20 loose grains of sand in the lid when I took it apart because honda didn’t get the gasket in right when they closed the lid and it was sucking air above the second filter into the housing

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Will do. Thanks.

yes it’s only running on one cylinder. I only
Let it run for 2-3 min though because I’m scared of doing damage if it’s only running on one cylinder and I haven’t drove it around since it did this. Just let it run for a few min and then shut it off. Drained as much fuel as I could from the opening and put in a half bottle of heat and injector cleaner and a few gallons of fresh ethanol
Free gas. I can holder the inner header pipe continuously while the rear outer pipe instantly warms up where u can’t touch it.
Go to the last post on this thread from HondaTec, he's headed towards wiring.

Reactions: CID
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

also we put a one of those timing light guns on the coil wires and it flashed the same pattern for both coil packed heading to the spark plug

Last edited:
Reactions: CID and Smitty335
advertisement