• Thread starter Fordpickupjaybird2003
  • Start date
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
OK so it's not the injector, if it were, the cylinder would be dry not too wet.

No backfiring tells me it's not trying to fire with one of the valves open, so not a valve timing issue.

It has to be bad gas or no spark, there are no other options.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
300 miles? I guess it's not out of the possibility.
341 miles

4C7DE5BE 8C2C 46F5 A410 2F2A3F26F694

Reactions: Smitty335
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK so it's not the injector, if it were, the cylinder would be dry not too wet.

No backfiring tells me it's not trying to fire with one of the valves open, so not a valve timing issue.

It has to be bad gas or no spark, there are no other options.
That’s what I want to be able to say but I don’t know mechanical stuff like that. It sounds like you’re well versed with it.
It’s not spark because when I put the wires up against the motor it sparks like a lightning bolt. That leaves bad gas but why would cylinder continue to fire and never skip a beat and the other won’t fire at all?

Reactions: CID
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That’s what I want to be able to say but I don’t know mechanical stuff like that. It sounds like you’re well versed with it.
It’s not spark because when I put the wires up against the motor it sparks like a lightning bolt. That leaves bad gas but why would cylinder continue to fire and never skip a beat and the other won’t fire at all?
Maybe they are both firing but not well. But if you have good fuel, spark and compression, you have a running engine.

I would say you have to get all the fuel out of that machine and start with known fresh fuel.

Fresh gasoline should not leave a yellow stain anywhere.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe they are both firing but not well. But if you have good fuel, spark and compression, you have a running engine.

I would say you have to get all the fuel out of that machine and start with known fresh fuel.

I don’t know about the compression part. The gas is fresh non ethanol. It’s a yellowish/ green in the snow only. Could be because it has carbon from the exhaust. I don’t know.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The non firing one I can hold the header pipe the entire time and it doesn’t burn me and doesn’t feel like it’s warming up at all.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I don’t know about the compression part. The gas is fresh non ethanol. It’s a yellowish/ green in the snow only. Could be because it has carbon from the exhaust. I don’t know.
If you were lacking compression that extensively, there would be other signs. If you were lacking compression through the valves there would be backfiring. If you were lacking that much compression from the piston somehow, you would hear some clanking.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you were lacking compression that extensively, there would be other signs. If you were lacking compression through the valves there would be backfiring. If you were lacking that much compression from the piston somehow, you would hear some clanking.
I guess I’m pulling the fuel pump lid off and gonna suck every ounce out of the tank. Then dry it with a paper towel. How do I get what’s in the lines out? Disconnect at the injectors and blow it out?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I guess I’m pulling the fuel pump lid off and gonna suck every ounce out of the tank. Then dry it with a paper towel. How do I get what’s in the lines out? Disconnect at the injectors and blow it out?
That's a good question. I don't know your exact model well enough to give detail.

Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

But I think that is the right direction if you tried new spark plugs.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a good question. I don't know your exact model well enough to give detail.

Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

But I think that is the right direction if you tried new spark plugs.
Yep new spark plugs. I checked the old plugs and they sparked great and the gaps were perfect. Plugs weren’t the issue. It has a new set in it now though.

advertisement
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yep new spark plugs. I checked the old plugs and they sparked great and the gaps were perfect. Plugs weren’t the issue. It has a new set in it now though.
You may want to check your spark arrester make sure it's not clogged. Maybe even run it for a little bit without it.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
And once it's running make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You may want to check your spark arrester make sure it's not clogged. Maybe even run it for a little bit without it.
What would a clogged spark arrest or do? Would it cause one cylinder not to work?

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I doubt it would run at all with a clogged exhaust, but you never know.

But understand, you may have a bunch of unburned fuel in the exhaust, be careful when it gets hot for the first time.
Yea with as much fuel that was blowing through it and the blackness on that back I think that cleaned itself. I also think that’s why the spark plug on that not burning cylinder was white when the running side was black. As in the pics below.

3F666BC2 1975 44E9 A25F 77353B2B98CE 3795E5DE DDDE 4F85 9D02 BF09BD2A54B0

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yea with as much fuel that was blowing through it and the blackness on that back I think that cleaned itself. I also think that’s why the spark plug on that not burning cylinder was white when the running side was black. As in the pics below.

View attachment 367463 View attachment 367464
One plug looks fouled the other looks like it was washed by fuel. The white is just the porcelain.

If the ground side of the electrode were white, then it would indicate a lean fuel condition.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One plug looks fouled the other looks like it was washed by fuel. The white is just the porcelain.

If the ground side of the electrode were white, then it would indicate a lean fuel condition.
Yes exactly. The white is the one washed by fuel with not ignition. That spark plug will knock u on your but from the spark it puts out. I switched them anyways to try it. Knowing that it had spark and the plugs good and the correct gap.

Reactions: Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes exactly. The white is the one washed by fuel with not ignition. That spark plug will knock u on your but from the spark it puts out. I switched them anyways to try it. Knowing that it had spark and the plugs good and the correct gap.
So I guess we have concluded that, with a nice big hot spark, the fuel washed the plug clean?

The only way that happens is if the fuel is inflammable.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I guess we have concluded that, with a nice big hot spark, the fuel washed the plug clean?

You have me intrigued now. Enough to take the whole pump out and drain and dry out the whole tank. I just keep going back to why is one firing and the other isnt

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

@HondaTech do you have any in-site on a P1 with 341 miles on it, one cylinder isn't firing, raw gas coming out of the muffler, sat for 1.5 months without being started, he has new plugs installed and I'm afraid we are sending him down a rabbit hole. Thanks

Reactions: JenElio and CID
advertisement