• Thread starter Fordpickupjaybird2003
  • Start date
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
@Fordpickupjaybird2003 - what voltage you have when the machine is running- you back above 14V? For the air filter thing, you do much running in dust, mud, etc........ and what did you wipe from the intake runners?

@HondaTech - about 350 miles on it with a bad air filter seal from day 1

Reactions: Smitty335
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Fordpickupjaybird2003 - what voltage you have when the machine is running- you back above 14V? For the air filter thing, you do much running in dust, mud, etc........ and what did you wipe from the intake runners?

Yes 14.2. I’m on a back dirt road so there is dust but this machine has never seen a trail ride. Most rides are between 5 and 15 miles at a time. This thing only gets ran on back roads though. No mud bogs. I basically bought it for a business write off and to plow my driveway. I wiped down the intake hoses off the black box and not much came out of it. The lid however had about 20 grains of sand in it when I took the lid off.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

just playing devils advocate I would think of the sand was into one throttle body and cylinder it would have done the same to the other side about the same rate because both hoses are in the same spot. One end

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
im with ya - the compression test rules that out as a problem, what is interesting is you have spark and fuel as far as we know and fuel is blowing out of exhaust

stick finger in spark plug hole - have someone crank it, see if it pops finger out........lol

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
im with ya - the compression test rules that out as a problem, what is interesting is you have spark and fuel as far as we know and fuel is blowing out of exhaust

stick finger in spark plug hole - have someone crank it, see if it pops finger out........lol
Yep. Plug is wet on that non firing cylinder when I pull it out. That’s why that plug look clean from it being washed with gas and no spark. Even though that coil pack sparks it great grounded out on the outside of the motor for me to see.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

That is actually the technical way to check compression on an old Briggs & Stratton engine.

H

HondaTech

So ignore the coil power thing, of the plug is firing then the power is there.

With fuel and spark on the dead hole I would think the issue would have to be engine related.

Reving it up for a short time to see if the 2nd cylinder comes back into play wont hurt it.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So ignore the coil power thing, of the plug is firing then the power is there.

With fuel and spark on the dead hole I would think the issue would have to be engine related.

Reving it up for a short time to see if the 2nd cylinder comes back into play wont hurt it.
Ok. I will start it back up and rev it for a few min and let it run for 10-15 min and see if it comes back. I was worried that trying it so many times that’s the in brunt fuel would strip that cylinder wall of all oil and cause friction issues. I would have to imagine at this point the oil pan has a mixture of gas and oil by now. Trying to start it and run for probably a total of 20 mins over a dozen times

advertisement
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He says the gas is yellowish coming out of the exhaust, it may not be gas.
That could be from cleaning the spark arrestor and exhaust pipe though. Carbon tinting it. This is fresh gas within the month and it’s recreation fuel too. I think I will drain the whole system again tomorrow and put in gas I just got today and try that but I really don’t think its it because the other cylinder wouldn’t be firing on it either. It’s definitely not varnish.

Reactions: CID
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That could be from cleaning the spark arrestor and exhaust pipe though. Carbon tinting it. This is fresh gas within the month and it’s recreation fuel too. I think I will drain the whole system again tomorrow and put in gas I just got today and try that but I really don’t think its it because the other cylinder wouldn’t be firing on it either. It’s definitely not varnish.
It couldn't hurt, and check that spark arrrest.

H

HondaTech

Ok. I will start it back up and rev it for a few min and let it run for 10-15 min and see if it comes back. I was worried that trying it so many times that’s the in brunt fuel would strip that cylinder wall of all oil and cause friction issues. I would have to imagine at this point the oil pan has a mixture of gas and oil by now. Trying to start it and run for probably a total of 20 mins over a dozen times

I just wanna see if the other cylinder trys to come in when the revs climb.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just wanna see if the other cylinder trys to come in when the revs climb.
I will check it tomorrow. I’ll throttle it up and see if it comes in after I do that. I did throttle it up for probably 1-2 min the day I jumped it but that was also with the original fuel in it. Not with this fresh fuel and the heet in it.

Reactions: CID
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It couldn't hurt, and check that spark arrrest.
Yea I’m going to check it too but I’m sure it’s clean. It’s laying all over that box that I put under the exhaust to catch the liquid spraying out. Plus I would think that would cause back pressure issue and it wouldn’t idle or run.

Reactions: Jerryg
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im Gonna look at that too but with the fuel being pumped in and the coil sparking I don’t know what else it could be electrical
Wise unless of an injector faults in the open position from no power which I would think would be stupid and not highly likely. Plus it sounded like that if there’s an electrical
Fault it would throw a code

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Im Gonna look at that too but with the fuel being pumped in and the coil sparking I don’t know what else it could be electrical
Wise unless of an injector faults in the open position from no power which I would think would be stupid and not highly likely. Plus it sounded like that if there’s an electrical
Fault it would throw a code
Slow down, you have a professional Honda Tec helping you. Im just a plumber most of the mistakes I've made in a diagnosis was listening to the customers diagnosis, set back relax and let him run down his check list.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Slow down, you have a professional Honda Tec helping you. Im just a plumber most of the mistakes I've made in a diagnosis was listening to the customers diagnosis, set back relax and let him run down his check list.
What? I’m listening. I’ve already said I know enough to be dangerous. I’m just pointing out the obvious stuff. Im a farmer that can fix carburetors and such not fuel injected toys.

advertisement