• Start date
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is dumb, but have you smelled the oil in the crank case? If you smell gas in the oil you have a ring issue, stuck. I doubt you have a ring issue, but you do need to get oil on the rings before you do a compression test, I really think you have an electrical issue, bad wire and when you move it, it connects. Start it and start wiggling wires. Both of my injector wires went bad out of the blue. Keep us posted, Im really interested in the fix
Thanks for the help. The injector wires. Are those the ones on the top behind the iacv? Where the fuel
Dumps into the throttle body?

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is dumb, but have you smelled the oil in the crank case? If you smell gas in the oil you have a ring issue, stuck. I doubt you have a ring issue, but you do need to get oil on the rings before you do a compression test, I really think you have an electrical issue, bad wire and when you move it, it connects. Start it and start wiggling wires. Both of my injector wires went bad out of the blue. Keep us posted, Im really interested in the fix
I haven’t smelled the oil but that will be what I do tomorrow. I’m calling it tonight. Spend 20k so you don’t have problems for a long time and less than 340 miles you have an issue. Just crazy

• Sad
Reactions: CID
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Im not ruling that out yet. How long can the machine run with only one cylinder firing before it causes issues? It’s just blowing gas out of the exhaust because one cylinder is only working. I put heet in the clean fuel and got pretty damn close to all of the fuel out. I put about 3 gallons of fresh back in it.
That's my point, one cylinder likes water and the other one doesn't? Electrical?

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the compression test you said it will
Need oil on the rings. Just pour a half
A pop top down in the cylinder hole? 2 stroke oil?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the help. The injector wires. Are those the ones on the top behind the iacv? Where the fuel
Dumps into the throttle body?
This is a pic from my Talon manual but the Pioneer is 'about' the same. #2 (two of them) are pointing to the fuel injector connectors and where some wires were breaking inside the insulation - this is where you want to push the wires together, you're trying to make contact if the copper is broken inside. Can someone say if and when Honda fixed this problem, is it still happening? (We're trouble shooting a 2021 P1K with 300 miles) OP - they live between the throttle bodies and valve cover. #4 is the fuel injector assembly.

Thanks for letting us know you're quitting for the night.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
For the compression test you said it will
Need oil on the rings. Just pour a half
A pop top down in the cylinder hole? 2 stroke oil?
If you have an oil can 'squirter', two squirts aimed at the top of the piston (highest in the engine since they aimed straight up) so the oil will get 360* around the piston, should do it. I'd try it dry first, if it checks good, no oil is necessary (but won't hurt since the cylinder seems it was flooded with fuel). Any oil will work for this.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a pic from my Talon manual but the Pioneer is 'about' the same. #2 (two of them) are pointing to the fuel injector connectors and where some wires were breaking inside the insulation - this is where you want to push the wires together, you're trying to make contact if the copper is broken inside. Can someone say if and when Honda fixed this problem, is it still happening? (We're trouble shooting a 2021 P1K with 300 miles) OP - they live between the throttle bodies and valve cover. #4 is the fuel injector assembly.

Thanks for letting us know you're quitting for the night.

View attachment 367362
Thanks for all your help! I thought those were it. I’ll Check those tomorrow. I feel defeated tonight.

Reactions: Smitty335
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So today I’m going to check the compression and possibly oil depending on time. Is there a way I can blow out the injector line of possibly water? I would think with as much gas that’s blowing out the exhaust there wouldn’t be any in there by now if that was it.

For the injector wire harness. Shouldnt I be able to unplug the harness and check it with an electric meter in the prongs for 12 volt power as I’m turning over the key? I’m assuming that each injector has a harness and the harness has one side as a neutral and one side as a hot because it’s two wires and my assumption is the harness wires go directly to the fuel pump?
Also with searching last night, it looks like if you’re a member on here there may be a service manual to download. Is this true for the 2021 pioneer 1000-5 and what membership can I get that will allow me to download it?

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Also with searching last night, it looks like if you’re a member on here there may be a service manual to download. Is this true for the 2021 pioneer 1000-5 and what membership can I get that will allow me to download it?
Fordpickup - you can click on your account (upper right on my desktop monitor), click on Account Details, then Account Upgrades (in the left column). The rest is self explanatory. $15 will get you a yearly membership, money well spent.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Fuel - check
Spark - check
Compression - needs to be checked

That gasket being out of place unfortunately is no good. Did you take any pictures of the intake horns tubes going to each cylinder or wipe them out and see how much crud was on the rag? Your side note of sand granules down the intakes points you to do the dreaded compression test.

Reactions: GovtMule
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Fuel - check
Spark - check
Compression - needs to be checked

That gasket being out of place unfortunately is no good. Did you take any pictures of the intake horns tubes going to each cylinder or wipe them out and see how much crud was on the rag? Your side note of sand granules down the intakes points you to do the dreaded compression test.
I'm more of an optimist - he only has 300 miles, the displaced gasket is only going to allow a 'tiny bit' of very small dust to get past it and it ran fine before sitting 'too long'. Sand granules was worst case and unlikely.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I would not be happy with the airbox problem. Without a thorough inspection, you have no idea how much damage was done. If your dealer is competent, I would demand a rebuild.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not the same scenario, of course. I was on pavement most of the time, no intense dust.
More abrasion if you’re always taking the dirt road. At least, TWSS.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would not be happy with the airbox problem. Without a thorough inspection, you have no idea how much damage was done. If your dealer is competent, I would demand a rebuild.
And therein lies the problem - no way I'd want my engine rebuilt by the techs in my dealership.

This is how they snorkeled my replacement Talon, even though they had the stolen one right there to copy the hole location. :mad:

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m a carburetor guy too, but most everything nowadays is FI. I’ve learned to accept it…
Is it possible the offending injector is stuck “open”?
Could be. I’m going out now to try to see if I can diagnose it with an electrical meter.

advertisement