P500 fuel mileage

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

We went on a 60-ish mile ride today with some Can-Am and Polaris 1000s and such. We ran the Pioneer hard. It seemed like the pedal was to the floor almost all the time except when slowing for some of the turns. We were hitting the rev limiter in 5th gear regularly, etc etc. It was the hardest I ever pushed it. On the last leg of the trip the low fuel light came on. We rode another 20 minutes at 40 mph and had three medium sized water crossings coming up. I nervously made it through the water, nursing the pedal, and caught back up to the group where I was able to borrow a 1/2 gallon of gas to make it back. Basically, I went 60 miles on 4 gallons of fuel. 15 mpg... Is that what the rest of you are seeing when you run your P5 hard on sandy trails with a good amount of hills?

Reactions: 100Acre
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We went on a 60-ish mile ride today with some Can-Am and Polaris 1000s and such. We ran the Pioneer hard. It seemed like the pedal was to the floor almost all the time except when slowing for some of the turns. We were hitting the rev limiter in 5th gear regularly, etc etc. It was the hardest I ever pushed it. On the last leg of the trip the low fuel light came on. We rode another 20 minutes at 40 mph and had three medium sized water crossings coming up. I nervously made it through the water, nursing the pedal, and caught back up to the group where I was able to borrow a 1/2 gallon of gas to make it back. Basically, I went 60 miles on 4 gallons of fuel. 15 mpg... Is that what the rest of you are seeing when you run your P5 hard on sandy trails with a good amount of hills?
The problem isn't so much the mileage ,but rather the size of tank,I went on a ride with a Canam 4 wheeler,a JD gater ,a Polaris Ranger,Rzr 800 and 900 and Yamaha defender,we were on sandy trails averaging about 35 mph ,we stopped at a gas station to fill up,we all put in 3 gallons of gas, give or take less than 1/2 gallon,the issue was I was close to empty the rest of them were only 1/2 empty or less,I always carry an extra gallon of gas with me for that reason,I've already averaged up to 40 mpg on hard packed trails down to less than 20 mpg in deep sandy trails

D

Deleted member 3748

The problem isn't so much the mileage ,but rather the size of tank,I went on a ride with a Canam 4 wheeler,a JD gater ,a Polaris Ranger,Rzr 800 and 900 and Yamaha defender,we were on sandy trails averaging about 35 mph ,we stopped at a gas station to fill up,we all put in 3 gallons of gas, give or take less than 1/2 gallon,the issue was I was close to empty the rest of them were only 1/2 empty or less,I always carry an extra gallon of gas with me for that reason,I've already averaged up to 40 mpg on hard packed trails down to less than 20 mpg in deep sandy trails
Yes, I could use a few extra gallons of capacity. We don't carry extra fuel on these rides because of a rollover accident a few years back where the gas can leaked and ignited. Thanks for the input @iowaguy . I had an opportunity to get gas at the 30 mile mark but didn't think I needed it. Learned my lesson.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about an aux fuel cell ? Since you don't want a can.

My surecans slid all over the bed of my truck on their side and didn't leak. I forgot to tie them down....

Reactions: Dp5hunter
D

Deleted member 3748

What about an aux fuel cell ? Since you don't want a can.

My surecans slid all over the bed of my truck on their side and didn't leak. I forgot to tie them down....

the gas can rule is from the group, not me. I've ridden with them before but we usually break into two ride groups. Fast and slow. just one group for this ride because it was only 60 miles. I've run all day on a tank of gas with the slow group.

I'm interested in the aux fuel cell. I'll see what on can find on the internet. Thanks @ohanacreek !

Reactions: Dp5hunter
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
the gas can rule is from the group, not me. I've ridden with them before but we usually break into two ride groups. Fast and slow. just one group for this ride because it was only 60 miles. I've run all day on a tank of gas with the slow group.

I'm interested in the aux fuel cell. I'll see what on can find on the internet. Thanks @ohanacreek !

I considered adding this under my drivers seat with the battery but removing the seat seems like an inconvenience considering I already have a gas can and the cost of this.

Amazon.com: 3-Gallon/11.35 Liter Aluminum Racing Bottom Feed Fuel Cell Gas Tank w/Level Sender & Cap: Automotive

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

Something like this could work out nicely. I could use an electric fuel pump with a manual switch to fill the main tank when needed. This add-on will depend on whether or not my wife ever lets us go on another ride like this one. She wasn't entirely comfortable riding that hard in the P5. :eek:

H

highpocks

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2016
prescott mi
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, I could use a few extra gallons of capacity. We don't carry extra fuel on these rides because of a rollover accident a few years back where the gas can leaked and ignited. Thanks for the input @iowaguy . I had an opportunity to get gas at the 30 mile mark but didn't think I needed it. Learned my lesson.
i got a 5 gal. fuel tank off a honda generator and put it on the back rack behind the passenger seat and it gravity feeds to the main tank that gives me 9 gals of fuel i have not tried distance yet

R

Rustell

New tires 26x11x12 Kenda Bearclaw radials
I have a rotopax 7.5 litre fuel can, that you can drive a truck over apparently.
Al
I have a 1.25 gal Rotopax .... I've used it once.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Great minds think alike eh

View attachment 42926
Al

Or belong to the same forum? I didn't even know what a Rotopax was until I joined this site. I first saw it on Jackal's machine and had to have one. Makes sense to have, looks cool as hell but priced way too high. I've used mine once, I guess that makes it worth it. ;)

Rear Brake Light

D

Deleted member 3748

I didn't want to bum everyone out with this story, but I guess I should for everyone's safety. The reason fuel cans aren't allowed on the rides is because a guy rolled his Polaris and his fuel can leaked and sprayed fuel all over him then his machine caught on fire. He didn't survive. I know about the fire issues with Polaris but it still makes me think twice about carrying a fuel can out in the open.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I didn't want to bum everyone out with this story, but I guess I should for everyone's safety. The reason fuel cans aren't allowed on the rides is because a guy rolled his Polaris and his fuel can leaked and sprayed fuel all over him then his machine caught on fire. He didn't survive. I know about the fire issues with Polaris but it still makes me think twice about carrying a fuel can out in the open.

I wanna be cremated but not involuntarily! Rotopax are supposed to be robust and should take a good beating.
Al

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Sorry to hear that...scary. :( I was a little concerned about carrying fuel right behind me too. You notice I went with the smallest one they make? It does seem to be the toughest little can out there though and the mount system is genius. I tucked it into the bed to best protect it from a direct hit.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I've been on two mixed terrain rides in the last month, with a pretty good amount of WOT riding for several miles. Both trips were around 70 miles each and I was on the low fuel light with some concern on the second one. Started flashing lo fuel at 59 miles on the trip meter, with the remainder that day being a long straight corridor to get back to the trucks. Rode 12 miles like that, running at about 30mph and made it back. I was quite concerned I'd be waiting for my group to bring me fuel just shy of the trucks. Got home and filled up with my 3.25 gal fuel pack thinking it would certainly all go in, to my surprise it splashed out the top with at least half a gallon left in the can still. Clearly the lo fuel is pretty conservative as far as hurry up you're gonna be stranded goes. But I don't think I'll be trying to stretch it like that again if I don't absolutely have to.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!