Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I am just estimating based on the size of the tank and the fact that I have filled it up one time, ran it nearly empty and now I am down to somewhere close to a half of a tank and I have driven right at 100 miles. I have only filled it up twice since I got it. :)

That is why I was asking what mileage everyone else is getting, I don't have a way to check it for myself right now.

If everyone else is getting as low as my lowest estimate, I am going to go ahead and get a couple of rotopaks when I order my bilge fan from Amazon and have it ready to go for our first big ride which won't occur until sometime after my 100 mile service on next Tuesday. If I am estimating it way too low versus what everyone else is getting, I am just going to get the bilge fan and a 12V pigtail.

I noticed that it seemed to burn gas faster than I was expecting the first time I had it out. Close a full tank of gas in the first 60 or so miles, IIRC I had put around 6.5 gallons in it but I really wasn't paying that much attention. I didn't think to do the mileage until after I had already driven away from the pump and I haven't actually filled it back up again.
Fill it at home then just top it off at the pump it'll be accurate that way. "About" 3 gallons you could be 1/3 off. We get quite a bit better then that fully loaded doing stupid stuff. I'm sure like mentioned above you're going to get better later but that estimate seems very low

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Low range kills mileage definitely. In the heavy stuff we get 12-13 cruising is around 16-18 as long as speeds are mellow which is on par with the 700-4 and better then the Polaris or the can-am we had and even slightly better then our Polaris quad. I could see this get over 20.mileage will vary dramatically amongst different people. A pole on this thread here might be fun

Same here are little over 12 mpg on mountain trails primary riding under 15 mph.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I could buy that but if I am going to only get 8 MPG and a 8 gal tank that puts me on reserves/fumes at 64 miles.

That isn't unheard of in my riding. 30 or 40 miles is what we have been riding on just an afternoon on the farm. Riding at Turkey Bay, since it is really a bunch of up and down hills and such which would call for Low Range, it looks like it could be a good idea to carry some extra fuel and/or keep an eye on how much range I have left so as to not get stranded. I can't just swing into a fueling station out there. :)

Now when we go ride the river, which is mostly flat sand/dirt/gravel if everyone is getting close to 20 MPG it looks like I could get by without carrying any fuel with me or at most a single gallon of "oh crap" get me back to the truck backup fuel.
I don't own a 1000 but you ain't gonna have to worry at Turkey Bay. It's like a little over 2000 acres. I've put some miles on the 700 there. Be careful cause you might get some scrapes from rock there.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Mostly Lo Range?
Doesn't seem to matter, done about 250 miles each in H & L on the same trail system and usually hit reserve between 65 to 80 miles.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't own a 1000 but you ain't gonna have to worry at Turkey Bay. It's like a little over 2000 acres. I've put some miles on the 700 there. Be careful cause you might get some scrapes from rock there.

I've gone there before with ATVs and we did enough trails that we almost ran out of gas. I agree with you about the rocks. Our first trip though is likely to be down the road to the river trails and we can easily do 40 or 50 miles in a single trip.

At 12 MPG, shouldn't be a problem, a 8 MPG we may be pushing it if we get carried away (or lost :)) and get too far out.

However, a big portion of the river trails should be Hi Range so I think I will be okay.

I was just somewhat surprised that I used up so much fuel in our first 60 miles or so.

GumpAir

GumpAir

Jun 16, 2016
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I treat the side by side, my four wheelers, and airplanes all the same in regards to fuel.

How much TIME have I spent riding? Not miles.

The four wheeler (Honda Rubicon) consistently gives me five hours of solid riding. Doesn't matter if I'm rock crawling at 5 MPH, or wandering down the BLM roads at 30 MPH. Five hours and I'm switching to reserve on the fuel selector. The Pioneer is still too new for me to get a good test on fuel endurance (215 miles so far), but I'm betting five or six hours of motor noise before it gets quiet.

Gump

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I treat the side by side, my four wheelers, and airplanes all the same in regards to fuel.

The four wheeler (Honda Rubicon) consistently gives me five hours of solid riding. Doesn't matter if I'm rock crawling at 5 MPH, or wandering down the BLM roads at 30 MPH. Five hours and I'm switching to reserve on the fuel selector. The Pioneer is still too new for me to get a good test on fuel endurance (215 miles so far), but I'm betting five or six hours of motor noise before it gets quiet.

Gump
Hi Gump. Welcome to the forum.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Gump

I would disagree with 5-6 hours. We have gone 60 miles in 6 hours twice and used less than 4 gallons each time. Double your time and I bet you are getting close to getting quiet.

Interesting point is that my 2004 Sportsman 700 makes the same trip and uses more fuel.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I would disagree with 5-6 hours. We have gone 60 miles in 6 hours twice and used less than 4 gallons each time. Double your time and I bet you are getting close to getting quiet.

Interesting point is that my 2004 Sportsman 700 makes the same trip and uses more fuel.

Waylan
So does my sportsman. :)

GumpAir

GumpAir

Jun 16, 2016
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hope mine does the same. I'm at 18 hours/215 miles so too soon to get usable mileage numbers, but so far it seems pretty miserly on gas!

Gump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Tomy

Feb 12, 2018
Needles
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's exactly how i do it. i will be full at first light go all day long about 100 to 130 miles trip and get home at dusk. i will fill from a 5 gallon can i know is exactly 5 gallons and never drain the can completely. good average for my bike is 25 mpg . travel average 20-40 mph gravel roades and elevation 8200 to 11000. Central Utah mountains. View attachment 18597
20 plus

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
currently at around 3500 miles on my machine and all recalls done. never had issues with original product. my fuel mileage is still 25mpg and better. 1 tested it on a long haul 182 mile in a day trip and had an extra 5 gallons with me just in case . i averaged that day 27mpg . i use lucas fuel additive and premium fuel 87 octane or higher . i can assure you that i burn less fuel in this pioneer 1000 than my 2005 honda rincon 650. and i am not beat to death after long rides . drivin happy !!

Reactions: Plumber32
oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put over 100 miles on mine over last weekend with 5 adults only one of us under 200 pounds. It was about half pavement the rest was mountain roads. It is just under half tank. When I run it till the guage is blinking I can barely get 6 gal in it. Last time I checked it was getting 27 MPG. We have nearly 8000 miles on it with no problems and all the improvement campaigns have been done. We are very happy with this machine.

Reactions: DTAGG and Plumber32
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Crow_Hunter
Turkey Bay in LBL? If so I've spent many hours there on three wheelers and four wheelers years ago, in fact broke my ankle on a three wheeler and had to ride out. The last time I was there was several years ago with a buddy of mine in his chain drive buggy. That thing is amazing, there isn't much there it wont climb and with air bag suspension it rides better than most trucks on the road.

Where are you located? I'm about 10 miles from the north entrance of LBL.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm with the "hours" ridden instead of "miles" ridden. If your tank is topped off before you hit the trails, it's virtually impossible to run dry in 8 hours of consistent use, no matter the riding style.

Reactions: DTAGG
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
How are you guys doing on your gas mileage?

I have noticed that I don't get as good of mileage as I would have thought, however, I am also running around in Low Range most of the time since most of my usage is on or around hills.

I haven't actually directly measured it yet, but indirectly I have used roughly a tank and a half of fuel and I have hit 103 miles. I was actually a little surprised that I used that much fuel. That is somewhere between 8-12 MPG. I was expecting it to get better mileage than that.

I am now looking into getting some rotopax or some other onboard fuel storage before we go on an extended ride at Turkey Bay or down by the river just to be on the safe side.

I will try and remember to actually check my mileage on my next trip but I wanted to see what everyone else was getting and what I should be planning around on range and how big/many rotopax carriers to get.
I noticed the same poor economy during break in but the mpg increased on my 1000-3 after several hundred miles. I’m breaking in a 1000-5 right now and the same poor mileage.

CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I noticed the same poor economy during break in but the mpg increased on my 1000-3 after several hundred miles. I’m breaking in a 1000-5 right now and the same poor mileage.
Just did 70 miles and used something between 3.75 and four gallons. Have less than 500 on the machine so far so it puts me at 17.5ish. Half was 25mph rolling Az forest roads and half slow rolling on cattle roads/trails scouting for elk.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!