P1000 Gas mileage

t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought I'd bring this back to life so older rig members could perhaps chime back in... Real curious what these old posts and older rigs are doing now...

2019 P1K5 Basic @ 1724 Miles
- initially the basic 12" wheel/tire set up until @ 1134 miles
- switched to Method 409 14x7 + Tensor Regulators 28-10x14
- mostly hard rock/gravel 80% and pavement rest
- average 27 mph at pretty steady pace
- average trip is around 60 miles
- Turf mode + AUTO
- 220# driver, 100 dogs, tire carrier + spare, and tools

With Basic Set Up =26.6 MPG
With Tensors = Dropped to 24.7 MPG Overall Now

Fuel Fill Process

- I keep a log and note what mileage I get gas and gallons at every fill-up
- found that the amount filled could vary wildly if I did not pay attention to where I was filling the gas.
- I could "power" fill this thing and get another 1+ gallon in easy. There must be some sort of "void" in the tank that can get filled if you power gas in?
- I now slowly fill the tank and use a flashlight to verify gas is just at the "lower edge" of the fill tube
- Fill every morning before a ride

Fuel Type
- I've got a Sinclair gas station about 4 miles from my house
- PURE gas 91 octane with "detergents"

Thanks for all your information here folks. This has become my favorite site! People are really helpful...

Last edited:
J

Jason-2119

Jan 6, 2020
Central MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2019 pioneer 1000-3 with about 600 miles on it. 10-12 here sounds about right.

t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang. I know my slow boat/constant easy throttle of 3.5krpm and 27 mile per hour average adds to my benefit.

What is going on where ya'll are getting 10ish? I'd definitely imagine slow, low and rock crawling is going to eat gas, but that much?

R

rickoshea

2019 pioneer 1000-5 deluxe,stock wheels/tires,3500 kilometers and couldn't give a rats arse what mileage i'm getting.when the tracks are on i'm getting about 1/3 less than whatever i was getting with the tires.

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2019 pioneer 1000-5 deluxe,stock wheels/tires,3500 kilometers and couldn't give a rats arse what mileage i'm getting.when the tracks are on i'm getting about 1/3 less than whatever i was getting with the tires.
Agreed. IMHO... gas mileage on a SXS is about as important to me as gas mileage on a riding lawnmower. But, I respect their concerns.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang. I know my slow boat/constant easy throttle of 3.5krpm and 27 mile per hour average adds to my benefit.

What is going on where ya'll are getting 10ish? I'd definitely imagine slow, low and rock crawling is going to eat gas, but that much?
As a general rule, I do not use it for the highway. Maybe a very short trip on highway to get to another trail, but that is about it. Whether rock crawling or running over hunting land from 5-15mph average is about 10mpg.

t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed. IMHO... gas mileage on a SXS is about as important to me as gas mileage on a riding lawnmower. But, I respect their concerns.
To repectively disagree.

It does tell one a LOT about how the machine is running especially by keeping a log and being able to compare performance against an apple to apple situation.

One of the best things I have done with motorcycles, etc. And the P1k is a motorcycle engine afterall.

Valve specs, air filter situation, fuel typé, fuel pump, etc. I could go on. Fuel consumption history tells me a lot before an issue.

One of the best tools one has and it is free to head off major issues.

I can not count how many times my fuel mileage drop off was a symptom of something I had better be aware of... Allowed me to address it before an oh crap/break down.

ETA appreciate the info about slow crawling and big mpg drop off. That allows me to take that into consideration. Appreciate all the data.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0860silverado
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
To repectively disagree.

It does tell one a LOT about how the machine is running especially by keeping a log and being able to compare performance against an apple to apple situation.

One of the best things I have done with motorcycles, etc. And the P1k is a motorcycle engine afterall.

Valve specs, air filter situation, fuel typé, fuel pump, etc. I could go on. Fuel consumption history tells me a lot before an issue.

I can not count how many times my fuel mileage drop off was a symptom of something I had better be aware of... Allowed me to address it before an oh crap/break down.

ETA appreciate the info about slow crawling and big mpg drop off. That allows me to take that into consideration. Appreciate all the data.
As Barney Fife would say, He's a Nut! Sorry, i'm having a chuckle at your expense, there are several other things to look at before you start looking at MPG, like oil consumption and how it's running by the feel in your butt? Happy calculating!

R

rickoshea

i'm completely different on the throttle depending on where i'm riding.i can't see how it's possible to calculate mileage.that makes it pointless.average mileage is even more pointless

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To repectively disagree.

Ahhh...I see your point now. I can see where a running average drop off in mpg could indicate a problem. I wasn't thinking in that regard. I guess I subconsciously do monitor my machine but I do it with hours instead of miles. (A mix of high speed highway riding and starting /stopping nets me pretty close to one gallon per hour, but I couldn't even guess how many miles I've traveled in that hour.)

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm breaking in a 2021 P1K5 LE. Slugged around in a foot of snow for an afternoon last weekend and burned half a tank. I haven't measured, but my mpg seemed very low even accounting for the tough sledding. Appreciate the comments about the low mileage while new. I'll follow up.

For me, I do need to know the mpg for the long, backcountry rides. I often have to calculate what I'll need in case I get more than half way to the destination and reach a washout or impassable section of road and have to turn back. I'm specifically thinking of a beautiful but bad trip from the Hole in the Rock road, up Left Hand Collett, down Croton road and a plan to get back around to Left Hand Collett on the Smokey Mountain Road. Didn't work, had to turn back. If I hadn't planned for a long, backtrack return, I'd have had to cliff dive into Lake Powell and swim to Page, AZ to get gas.

Also, + 1 on what T-Bear said about using a flashlight when filling up. You really can get a lot more in the tank watching the level with a flashlight.

StewB

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
R

rickoshea

I'm breaking in a 2021 P1K5 LE. Slugged around in a foot of snow for an afternoon last weekend and burned half a tank. I haven't measured, but my mpg seemed very low even accounting for the tough sledding. Appreciate the comments about the low mileage while new. I'll follow up.

For me, I do need to know the mpg for the long, backcountry rides. I often have to calculate what I'll need in case I get more than half way to the destination and reach a washout or impassable section of road and have to turn back. I'm specifically thinking of a beautiful but bad trip from the Hole in the Rock road, up Left Hand Collett, down Croton road and a plan to get back around to Left Hand Collett on the Smokey Mountain Road. Didn't work, had to turn back. If I hadn't planned for a long, backtrack return, I'd have had to cliff dive into Lake Powell and swim to Page, AZ to get gas.

Also, + 1 on what T-Bear said about using a flashlight when filling up. You really can get a lot more in the tank watching the level with a flashlight.

StewB
i guess the lesson here is to carry more spare gas than you think or calculated you thought you'll need. i know i do.or carry cash and hope you find a generous rancher/farmer.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5

StewB
I have checked mine numerous times and always end up shaking my head. Hard to believe what TERRIBLE mpg I get. Mine only averages about 10 mpg which SUCKS on long rides.

JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have been enjoying exploring the Arizona Strip country. Need to keep track of gas cause each trip I get further away.
Up to 95 mile round trip. Put 5 1/2 gal in for about 17MPH. I drive easy, mostly high range, some low on the steep hills, and engine breaking, and a marathon rock trail low range, 1st gear for a hour. (Not going that way again). I carry a 2gal. can of gas now cause each trip is longer.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have checked mine numerous times and always end up shaking my head. Hard to believe what TERRIBLE mpg I get. Mine only averages about 10 mpg which SUCKS on long rides.
The accessories make a huge difference in how the machine acts. My windshield and cab sucked a little out of it and the larger heavier tires make a big difference. Lisa and I noticed a drastic change in fuel use changing to the outback max tire from the normal regulators we run. My brothers nearly stock 5 seat will most times read a full tank after riding and I'll have used at least a couple of bars. I also wear brake pads twice as fast than his.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The accessories make a huge difference in how the machine acts. My windshield and cab sucked a little out of it and the larger heavier tires make a big difference. Lisa and I noticed a drastic change in fuel use changing to the outback max tire from the normal regulators we run. My brothers nearly stock 5 seat will most times read a full tank after riding and I'll have used at least a couple of bars. I also wear brake pads twice as fast than his.
I guess the windshield, roof, and back would make a difference, just never consider it would make THAT much of a difference. I put all that on when nearly new, so never really checked it for MPG before installation, but could be.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trail riding up north on 28" tires I can do as well as 25 mpg. I've done as poorly as 16mpg. My worst terrain by far is 4x4 driving in deep snow on our local lakes. I've had tanks of fuel last less than 30 miles before I got to 2 bars and mileage around 5.5mpg.

I'm curious how 30" tires knock it down a notch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!