P1000 Gas peddle very jerky

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe you can ball up those rubber bands and put the heel of your foot on them so you don't have to hold your knee up in the air to work your gas pedal.

It can be an official Honda Product Information Bulletin.

No need, I got me a Fah-wottle Maxx

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Shortly after getting my P1K-5, I experienced difficulty in maintaining steady throttle when on rougher ground, OR after driving for more than 15-20 minutes I would get cramps and ache from my throttle foot/leg.

Before I found this site, I tried a couple of things, before I discovered that adding a piece of 2x6 under my accelerator foot area, made a WORLD of difference. To keep it in place, I cleaned the floor, and added velcro to both the piece of wood, and to the floor, so I can remove it if necessary for cleaning, maintenance, etc. It's been in the SxS for nearly 5 years with no issues.

The piece I used, just happened to be one of the stack of similar boards I use for our camper for leveling purposes, thus the orange paint I added, to make them visible when picking up and departing campsites.

Cheap ands works great.

IMG 4124

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthernJoe
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Shortly after getting my P1K-5, I experienced difficulty in maintaining steady throttle when on rougher ground, OR after driving for more truant 15-20 minutes I would get cramps and ache from my throttle foot/leg.

Before I found this site, I tried a couple of things, before I discovered that adding a piece of 2x6 under my accelerator foot area, made a WORLD of difference. To keep it in place, I cleaned the floor, and added velcro to both the piece of wood, and to the floor, so I can remove it if necessary for cleaning, maintenance, etc. It's been in the SxS for nearly 5 years with no issues.

The piece I used, just happened to be one of the stack of similar boards I use for our camper for leveling purposes, thus the orange paint I added, to make them visible when picking up and departing campsites.

Cheap ands works great.

View attachment 401002
if u paint it red - will add 15HP - don't need to spend any more money that that to fix the problem

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Shortly after getting my P1K-5, I experienced difficulty in maintaining steady throttle when on rougher ground, OR after driving for more truant 15-20 minutes I would get cramps and ache from my throttle foot/leg.

Cheap ands works great.

View attachment 401002
I see why that fix is too complicated for Honda.

IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Jan 6, 2024
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My simple fix that's cheep, easy and very effective; a 2"X 2" screwed into place when foot is level while at most common position. Many vintage cars had a foot support like this to rock the foot sideways for effortless throttle control.

IMG 5564

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My simple fix that's cheep, easy and very effective; a 2"X 2" screwed into place when foot is level while at most common position. Many vintage cars had a foot support like this to rock the foot sideways for effortless throttle control.

View attachment 414659
That is way too complicated for Honda to do something about, after 10 years of production.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Some would call it jerky, I call it responsive. Like automobiles now days have been dumbed down with a less responsive throttle, I appreciate that Honda hasn't done that on these machines. I tried the ThrottleMax when it came out, well just bc it was the new thing, and I thought it sucked. It just added another mechanical part to the mix and made it too unpredictable IMO. It was okay for the leg fatigue thing on long cruises but when you get into the technical stuff...

Reactions: ChadD and Mudder
R

RobertCarstens

Aug 11, 2016
Dune Acres, IN
duneacres.org
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone else seems to think the throttle is very jerky at low speed or when trying to take off slow. If so any suggestions on a fix. I have been able to adjust better than my wife when she is driving it around the yard. I ask the dealer and he said that's just the way they are and I should try driving it in low and see if that makes it any better. Any suggestions or is it something that takes practice. Thanks
I bought mine in 2016 and its always been jerky - just take some time - new drivers also get a little alarmed....seems normal operation to me

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Especially when you get older, the stock throttle becomes a pain in the leg - - big time! Pushing 8 decades, I don't need that. The throttle max solves that problem completely.

Hint on installation. Attach washer to nut with a spot of Super Glue so they stay aligned so you can push them up into position with one finger.

advertisement
S

Stumper

Dec 30, 2023
Bandana, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah I was thinking of trying one of those throttle max, but I wanted to see if anyone else may be having the same problem and that helped before I spent $80 on something that didn't help that particular issue. Yes I agree More practice always helps. I have over 35 years of practice with 3 wheelers, four wheelers, dirt bikes and motorcycles but this sxs is my first one I've ever owned.
I just bought a 1000-3 and it is definitely more difficult to ”inch” forward than any of the belt drives I’ve had over the years. Pretty dangerous actually! I’ll be following your thread for tips myself!

Reactions: Mudder and Jerryg
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just bought a 1000-3 and it is definitely more difficult to ”inch” forward than any of the belt drives I’ve had over the years. Pretty dangerous actually! I’ll be following your thread for tips myself!
Just push it down farther and never left off. Just kidding. Anyone that drives one of these for the first time says the samething. Just drive it, you'll learn how to control it after a while and you'll smooth out.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Oh for Pete’s sake. Just put a piece of thick rubber backed carpet on the floor. Keeps your foot in place and helps deaden the noise.

Doesn’t hurt to keep your foot against the center housing as well.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yamaha has a well designed, ergonomic and comfortable gas pedal...............................................................JAH

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Maybe, but it’s attached to a piece of s*** Yamaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did I mention that Yamaha also has throttle mapping to make the most of the comfortable, ergonomic gas pedal? JAH