P1000 Getting a Reverse Light and Rear Work Light Wired Together

J

jhall2242

Jun 6, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wanted to help those out that have wanted to have both a rocker switch activated rear light AND a reverse gear activated rear light (and you did not want to buy some sort of wiring harness if you already have part of it wired). If you ever tried to just wire this up using the backup alarm wire you will realize you can't just splice in a positive wire to a rocker switch on the dash and run it to the light. If you try that it will not let your engine start when because it thinks it is in gear. You can change the rocker switch to a negative wire setup and then splice it into the transmission ground and run that back to the light. However if you do this it will allow you to use the rocker switch only if the engine is not running. If you turn on the rocker switch for the lights it will try to kill the engine. Soooooo…. here is what I finally figure out.

Run a negative wire from your Blue Sea fuse panel to your rocker switch on the dash. Then run the negative out of it to the relay. Run the positive from the Blue Sea fuse panel to the rear light.

Run a negative wire out of the transmission backup alarm wire to the relay. Positive is not used from the transmission. To find the transmission backup alarm wire see this thread: https://hondasxs.com/threads/accessory-power-from-backup-alarm.8865/page-2#post-162955 If you do not want to run that wire up to the fuse panel area you can just hide it up in the roll bar area and keep the relay there if it is waterproof. You just need to decide where you want to keep the relay.

Buy a 4 Pin Relay like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SupportTM-Truck-Motor-Socket-Waterproof/dp/B01DEY0ZLM/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=waterproof+4+pin+relay&qid=1558466502&s=gateway&sr=8-8
A 5 Pin Relay will work but you will just not use one wire.

When the Pioneer is switched to Reverse it will activate the Transmission backup alarm ground which will travel up to terminal 85. Once that terminal is latched in the relay it will then tell Terminal 30 to latch to Terminal 87 and complete the circuit to the light making it light up. When out of reverse the relay will unlatch. Also at any time you can use the rocker switch and turn on the lights when parked or driving without the engine thinking it is in reverse because the relay has broken the latch to the transmission.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. Do this at your own risk. Use dual wall heat shrink to prevent corrosion. Use appropriate fuses on any light or load. Zip tie wires so they do not rub and short out. This worked on my 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and I don't know if it will work on anything else.

4 or 5 pin Relay:
86 Positive from Blue Sea fuse panel or battery
85 Negative from transmission
30 Ground to nearby screw or you can run a ground back to the Blue Sea fuse panel or battery
87 Negative to light
87a Not used

Rocker:
Negative in from Blue Sea fuse panel or battery
Negative out to 87

Transmission Backup Alarm Switch:
Negative to 85
Positive not used (make sure you double the end over and heat shrink it)

IMG 9138

Reactions: Lorraine and BigOL3
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wanted to help those out that have wanted to have both a rocker switch activated rear light AND a reverse gear activated rear light (and you did not want to buy some sort of wiring harness if you already have part of it wired). If you ever tried to just wire this up using the backup alarm wire you will realize you can't just splice in a positive wire to a rocker switch on the dash and run it to the light. If you try that it will not let your engine start when because it thinks it is in gear. You can change the rocker switch to a negative wire setup and then splice it into the transmission ground and run that back to the light. However if you do this it will allow you to use the rocker switch only if the engine is not running. If you turn on the rocker switch for the lights it will try to kill the engine. Soooooo…. here is what I finally figure out.

Run a negative wire from your Blue Sea fuse panel to your rocker switch on the dash. Then run the negative out of it to the relay. Run the positive from the Blue Sea fuse panel to the rear light.

Run a negative wire out of the transmission backup alarm wire to the relay. Positive is not used from the transmission. To find the transmission backup alarm wire see this thread: https://hondasxs.com/threads/accessory-power-from-backup-alarm.8865/page-2#post-162955 If you do not want to run that wire up to the fuse panel area you can just hide it up in the roll bar area and keep the relay there if it is waterproof. You just need to decide where you want to keep the relay.

Buy a 4 Pin Relay like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SupportTM-Truck-Motor-Socket-Waterproof/dp/B01DEY0ZLM/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=waterproof+4+pin+relay&qid=1558466502&s=gateway&sr=8-8
A 5 Pin Relay will work but you will just not use one wire.

When the Pioneer is switched to Reverse it will activate the Transmission backup alarm ground which will travel up to terminal 85. Once that terminal is latched in the relay it will then tell Terminal 30 to latch to Terminal 87 and complete the circuit to the light making it light up. When out of reverse the relay will unlatch. Also at any time you can use the rocker switch and turn on the lights when parked or driving without the engine thinking it is in reverse because the relay has broken the latch to the transmission.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. Do this at your own risk. Use dual wall heat shrink to prevent corrosion. Use appropriate fuses on any light or load. Zip tie wires so they do not rub and short out. This worked on my 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and I don't know if it will work on anything else.

4 or 5 pin Relay:
86 Positive from Blue Sea fuse panel or battery
85 Negative from transmission
30 Ground to nearby screw or you can run a ground back to the Blue Sea fuse panel or battery
87 Negative to light
87a Not used

Rocker:
Negative in from Blue Sea fuse panel or battery
Negative out to 87

Transmission Backup Alarm Switch:
Negative to 85
Positive not used (make sure you double the end over and heat shrink it)

View attachment 130884
Looks like you had a lot of time on your hands ...... lol ...... good job.

Reactions: JTW and jhall2242
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That looks correct.

You could also just install a diode on the (-) wire at the backup alarm.
Or, run the (-) from the backup alarm socket to a DP switch.
Then, Up would be light on, Down would be auto backup engaged, the middle would be off for when you don't need auto backup like around camp at midnight.

Ok. Let us know how it worked out.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!