P1000 GMRS Antenna Mount

RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was out this past weekend riding around, and a few low branches hit my antenna and bent my GMRS Antenna Mount.

I am looking for anyone who have suggestions about what kind of GMRS antenna mount might work well with my 1000-5. I took a Ham antenna mount and drilled out the hole to fit the GMRS antenna base - and it worked for the first few rides. But this one was branchier then normal.

I see many CB and Ham mounts out there, but not much for GMRS antennas for SxS or UTV applications.

Nerd Stuff:
I am using a BTECH 50X1 with a Browning BR-450 antenna.
I think I want to try out a Ghost antenna - or anything that might have a lower profile, or springier base.

BentAntenna

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rb3offroad.com has some flag mounts that might work

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the RB3 which is a similar mount (might be what you have?) to your post, for a ham antenna on my rig. I left the tilt bolt a little loose, so that if I hit something that wants to break my antenna, it simply pushes it down. Just push it back up when I'm done.

I also use a diamond fold-over antenna. Folds over just below the roof line when I'm not using it - or to get the rig into the garage.

Reactions: Lady01
DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was out this past weekend riding around, and a few low branches hit my antenna and bent my GMRS Antenna Mount.

I am looking for anyone who have suggestions about what kind of GMRS antenna mount might work well with my 1000-5. I took a Ham antenna mount and drilled out the hole to fit the GMRS antenna base - and it worked for the first few rides. But this one was branchier then normal.

I see many CB and Ham mounts out there, but not much for GMRS antennas for SxS or UTV applications.

Nerd Stuff:
I am using a BTECH 50X1 with a Browning BR-450 antenna.
I think I want to try out a Ghost antenna - or anything that might have a lower profile, or springier base.

View attachment 339840
Ask @elkaholic he got me all my stuff. Here is his website.

J

JimB1055

Nov 20, 2018
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I could not find one to buy so, I made my own. Here are some photos. I hope it helps. I have driven through some very thick stuff and have had no problems. The roof tends to shield the base.

IMG 3289 IMG 3290 IMG 4440

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is what I’m using. Laird BB4502N antenna with scrap piece of 16-18 gauge stainless bent attached to a Tusk clamp. When first installed, I managed to rip the top of the antenna off going through some low branches as it was sticking out in back of the roof. After purchasing another antenna, I lowered it and turned the clamp so the tip of the antenna is inside the roof and just barely touching the roof. Haven’t had any problems since.
01B05F46 52AA 41E4 A63A A8AA9A9B88F1
01B05F46 52AA 41E4 A63A A8AA9A9B88F1
A2182BB3 7E10 4252 A16F 9C0E3E251FE8

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up making my mount out of various bits.
This antenna works best for me for reception and transmission of all I've tried(many-all).

I drag it in and out of the garage daily and through trees weekly. It always holds up. It's very reasonably priced, so if I bust it off, it's reasonable to replace.
JMO

20220620 172336

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up making my mount out of various bits.
This antenna works best for me for reception and transmission of all I've tried(many-all).

I drag it in and out of the garage daily and through trees weekly. It always holds up. It's very reasonably priced, so if I bust it off, it's reasonable to replace.
JMO

View attachment 339992
Mine looks very similar to this but has a spring base on it

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A spring base is good. Most monopole antennas should also have a ground plane and the radiating element should not be parallel to and close to other metal, as this can cause an impedance miss match, SWR, and a null or shadowing in the radiation pattern. So optimally, you'd have a metal ground plane with the antenna up on the roof. Since in most cases that ain't happening, I guess it's do what works.

Reactions: Smitty335
RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So here's what I ended up doing. We'll see how well it works the next time I take it out on a trial ride.

I pounded the antenna mount back straight, so it could be used as a base.
I purchased a Midland Ghost Antenna, and the Midland Universal Hood Mount.
It seems pretty secure - and is below the roof line, so I think I should be safe from any roof scrapers.

The Ghost Antenna is 3db gain, and the SWR is a little worse at 1.8, whereas the original Browning was 1.4, but I think it will work for trail rides. I will also be shortening the coax in the future so as not to have a coil of Coax near the radio.

Ant1 Ant2

advertisement
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So here's what I ended up doing. We'll see how well it works the next time I take it out on a trial ride.

I pounded the antenna mount back straight, so it could be used as a base.
I purchased a Midland Ghost Antenna, and the Midland Universal Hood Mount.
It seems pretty secure - and is below the roof line, so I think I should be safe from any roof scrapers.

The Ghost Antenna is 3db gain, and the SWR is a little worse at 1.8, whereas the original Browning was 1.4, but I think it will work for trail rides. I will also be shortening the coax in the future so as not to have a coil of Coax near the radio.

View attachment 341036 View attachment 341037
Getting rid of the coil of antenna wire may help a lot.

Reactions: Scoop
W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go with a 1/4 wave whip antenna. I am using a TRAM 1126B. It's small, flexible and cheap. It's mounted on the roof with an NMO Mount and some sheet mental under it for a ground plane.

It's worked amazing well. All these "high gain" antennas dont do much, if anything around here.

I beat the snot out of this antenna with brush and branches and everything. By mounting it where it is the roof guides branches over about 1/2 way up it. It just flexes out of the way and bounces back.

Simple, cheap, low profile, durable. Done.

I need to repaint the sheet metal black, that "crud" around the bottom of the antenna is just primer I put on after I drilled the hole.

This is connected to a Motorola CM300 for GMRS use. Don't discount a 1/4 wave whip, they perform VERY well.

20220627 202901 20220627 202921

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!