Gps mounting

J

Jeromey

Mar 21, 2021
Frostburg Maryland
Ownership

1. 700-4
New to the forum but been all Honda for years. Currently have 2020. 700-4 deluxe. Was wondering if anyone had any pics of gps mounts or locations of mounts. Curious if some found out the hard way what is a good or bad location. I tend to find my self in a lot of mud and water if that helps. Heading to H&M in few weeks and was gonna try to down load maps on car type Garmin Nuvi. ( getting older close up vision getting worse). Hard to see my small garmin etrex while bouncing on the move. By the way From what I have read on some various posts this seems like a real good forum. Lots of good input and info. Thanks

Reactions: JenElio
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run an 8" Android tablet on a RAM bar mount.

RAM has a lot of options to mount wherever you want.

0821201918 0821201918a HDR

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan! I use a RAM mount for my Garmin GPS Overland, but its built into it. you can buy ram mount for your specific application.

BTW this is your first post!
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Reactions: CID and JenElio
J

Jeromey

Mar 21, 2021
Frostburg Maryland
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like both set ups. I was thinking about mounting on roll bar under roof but I will probably end up with a sore neck by the end of weekend. Around the dash would definitely b e easy to follow while riding

4C662827 B35D 4D74 8351 3BD1DD5B0BA8

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Like @Remington suggested, RAM mounts are the way to go. I use a Nuvi 65 in my Talon, I mounted a 1" ball/diamond base on the dash, got the RAM cradle for the Nuvi and used a 3" arm. Works great, doesn't move and it gives you adjustability to put it where you can see it easily. I bought everything on Amazon.

J

Jeromey

Mar 21, 2021
Frostburg Maryland
Ownership

1. 700-4
Like @Remington suggested, RAM mounts are the way to go. I use a Nuvi 65 in my Talon, I mounted a 1" ball/diamond base on the dash, got the RAM cradle for the Nuvi and used a 3" arm. Works great, doesn't move and it gives you adjustability to put it where you can see it easily. I bought everything on Amazon.
U got me thinking. I have a ram ball mount for garmin etrex Has the pivot ball at each end. I will have to dig it out n see if i can make it work. Did u have any problems downloading maps on ur nuvi ? Or did u do the SD card ? Nuvi is what I plan to use so I can see the screen better.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
U got me thinking. I have a ram ball mount for garmin etrex Has the pivot ball at each end. I will have to dig it out n see if i can make it work. Did u have any problems downloading maps on ur nuvi ? Or did u do the SD card ? Nuvi is what I plan to use so I can see the screen better.
No issues, you can download Garmin Basecamp HERE for free. It's pretty easy to use. It works with the etrex, I've got one of those also.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No issues, you can download Garmin Basecamp HERE for free. It's pretty easy to use. It works with the etrex, I've got one of those also.
Yeah that basecamp software is nice.
have u ever used vvmaping? I have that on an sd card and use it in my overlander works well.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yeah that basecamp software is nice.
have u ever used vvmaping? I have that on an sd card and use it in my overlander works well.
That's all I use, have his maps for snowmobile, ORV & Appalachia 👍

Reactions: Scoop and Remington
J

Jeromey

Mar 21, 2021
Frostburg Maryland
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do I need garmin basecamp downloaded on the Nuvi so that I can download HMT maps or is garmin base camp a map program. I found a map download ( I think called Bob T’s ? Or something). Had all the HMT and I think outlaw trails. Not trying to sound dumb but been a while since playing with gps and not really any time messing with computers anymore. I found out bout some of this mapping stuff on here just browsing around. Figured I would dig a little deeper. All the help is greatly appreciated thanks

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Do I need garmin basecamp downloaded on the Nuvi so that I can download HMT maps or is garmin base camp a map program. I found a map download ( I think called Bob T’s ? Or something). Had all the HMT and I think outlaw trails. Not trying to sound dumb but been a while since playing with gps and not really any time messing with computers anymore. I found out bout some of this mapping stuff on here just browsing around. Figured I would dig a little deeper. All the help is greatly appreciated thanks
Base camp goes on your laptop then you can load maps yourself. There are other options, VVMapping will load everything on a SD card so you can just put it in your GPS

Reactions: Remington
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does that catch much of the elements where u have it
I just realized that pic was from before I got my windshield...

The tablet is in a case that isn't watertight or anything, it mostly provides a screen cover. Just a few times I've had issues with my tablet warning me of moisture at the usb plug while charging. It hasn't been enough of a problem for me to upgrade my case.

Good cases that mount are hard to find.

J

Jeromey

Mar 21, 2021
Frostburg Maryland
Ownership

1. 700-4
Can I Have 1 program downloaded and 1 on and SD card on 1 device and use the program I want by either inserting or removing Sd card ?

J

Jeromey

Mar 21, 2021
Frostburg Maryland
Ownership

1. 700-4
I couldn’t find a ram mount that fit my Nuvi on amazon. Maybe mine is too old but I made a mount to mate up with my ram ball mount. I have a little vibration at idle which I expected but smooths out with a little throttle. Seams to b ok while riding. I downloaded garmin basecamp to the computer last night just waiting on my usb cord from amazon to load on gps.

R

riverjetter

May 10, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most of the riders in our area use their cell phones with ram mount and the onX app. Here is the link for the app if you're interested onX: GPS Map Apps for Hunting, Hiking & Off-Roading . You will have to do research for the ram mount that best fits your phone. There is a small charge for the app but it's worth it in my opinion. You can tailor the app to your particular needs and download maps to your phone for when you are truly off grid. Check it out.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
New to the forum but been all Honda for years. Currently have 2020. 700-4 deluxe. Was wondering if anyone had any pics of gps mounts or locations of mounts. Curious if some found out the hard way what is a good or bad location. I tend to find my self in a lot of mud and water if that helps. Heading to H&M in few weeks and was gonna try to down load maps on car type Garmin Nuvi. ( getting older close up vision getting worse). Hard to see my small garmin etrex while bouncing on the move. By the way From what I have read on some various posts this seems like a real good forum. Lots of good input and info. Thanks
I like Gaia because it works for wheeling n over-landing both! Labor day sale for 50% off worked today wed 9/8!!! $20 for a year.
WB

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I also us Gaia for my offroad adventures. Doesn't matter if I'm hiking, mountain biking, snowshoeing, or riding the SXS, it works well.

Rob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!