GPS

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know there are several threads regarding GPS hardware/software, but I either can't find what I need or I'm too stupid to realize that I did and I'm not tech savvy enough to realize it. Everyone talks about how plentiful the maps are. I really don't have much use for maps, unless I make them. For example, I'd like to follow someone who knows where they are going to a pond, hunting blind, etc., and have my GPS remember the exact route I took and let me drop a pin when I'm there and lable what it is. I travel a couple expansive properties, and it's often very important not just that you found something, but that you travel the right way to get there. And finding my way back to camp is pretty useful too :)

Is this a feature found on most/all GPS maps? Are any particular ones better than another? Thanks for helping an old, non-tech guy out.

Reactions: TxDoc
koma

koma

Dec 1, 2020
East Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Seems to me you can get as high tech as you want. I ended up getting, what I think, is a mid level garmin. I have a mount in the motor home and one in the P1000. It‘s an Overlander. I can switch for street maps when in the motor home and explore map when in the SXS. Not the smartest when using this but I have learned how to set up tracks so I can see where I’ve been and how to get back to where I started. Seems like the thing did alright for me and I think that about all I need. Pops right off the mount from one vehicle to the other. Shock proof and dust proof. Disappointed it isn’t more water proof. Didn’t read that much about it before buying. It can take a puddle splash or so but would be hesitant to have it out in the pouring rain like gps’s on my boat.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
for hunting i use the gamin rhino 6xx, with radio, that way i can talk to and know the location of my other hunters.
for my sxs i use a samsung galaxy tab A with gaia maps. i open gaia on my PC. and check out where i want to go.
if out exploring i can drop pins where i'm staging, where a tank is. where a tree to come back and cut down is. then i can tell it to guide me home. once home sync the tablet with the internet, and open the track logs on the PC. have a better aerial view of the track and pins.
the same can be done with a gamin. base camp is amazing software and the original mapping software was from gamin mapsource. that is what ALL the others in use today are derived from.
free maps for garmin can be had from gpsfiledepot.com high res topo.

Here is a computer screen shot of gaia. small map section with track logs and pin drops.

you can also use gaia on a smart phone. no need for extra device.
Screenshot from 2021 04 13 19 43 42

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!