BOX1

P500 Hard start cold

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
New. 2018 I bought at a discount because it was last years model. Engine turns over but I think if I kept cranking it might never start. Cycle key a couple of times thinking maybe fuel wasn't ready. Not sure it helps but it will eventually go. Pretty much every time I hear a little backfire just before she lights. When it finally starts it seems to run a bit rough for a few seconds, smoothes out and everything is fine. Only happens when it's been sitting a day or two or once when it was really cold outside and it only set for about three hours. Any ideas?

happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Change your spark plug, make sure battery is fully charged and fresh gas.

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Your letting the red light start flashing before you turn it over right?
Actually, I'm not sure what you mean. I let all the lights go through their cycle. No red light flashes.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
When you just turn the key on and not turn it over, wait a few seconds and you'll see a red light start blinking on the display in the upper right hand corner. That tells you that the fuel pump has fired up and it's ready. I only asked about being covered because some have reported an issue when it's been left out in the rain, water somehow getting into the fuel tank. Pop your plastics and give the wiring a look see, wiggle sh** around, might just be a bad connection somewhere. Sometimes critters get in there and do some nibbling too.

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I'm leaning towards valve's needing adjusted. I also own a 660 Grizzly I bought new in '08. It got really hard to start when it was cold. Valve adjustment made a huge difference. Thing is. It didn't have any problems until about 3k miles. And it has 5 valves. It's carbuerated and starts much easier than this Honda when cold. I thought that was one of the benefits of fuel injection

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
When you just turn the key on and not turn it over, wait a few seconds and you'll see a red light start blinking on the display in the upper right hand corner. That tells you that the fuel pump has fired up and it's ready. I only asked about being covered because some have reported an issue when it's been left out in the rain, water somehow getting into the fuel tank. Pop your plastics and give the wiring a look see, wiggle sh** around, might just be a bad connection somewhere. Sometimes critters get in there and do some nibbling too.
After light cycle there is no red light blinking. Waited 20 seconds just to make sure. Does it have an emblem or is it just a light?

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Once it starts there is no problems. Runs great. No problem restarting. Unless it is allowed to get cold.

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Also, when I said backfire I meant it sounds like an intake backfire, not loud or out muffler.

happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Once it starts there is no problems. Runs great. No problem restarting. Unless it is allowed to get cold.

battery. is the battery fully charged and holds a full charge. Fuel injection requires fully charged batteries. I recently replaced the battery on my polaris that had your symptoms. problem fixed.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Other thing you might want to try is gas line antifreeze might of got some moisture in the tank..
Or maybe you should take it for a good drive since it only has 87 miles..

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
battery. is the battery fully charged and holds a full charge. Fuel injection requires fully charged batteries. I recently replaced the battery on my polaris that had your symptoms. problem fixed.
That is a possibility. I've checked and charged the battery. Didn't make any difference. It does, however, sound like the engine is turning over kinda slow, in my opinion, especially when cold. It cranks for quite a while though. Wonder if it was at dealership, starting and running only long enough to take out for display and at end of day back inside. As I said, it's last year model. Probably been there at least a year. That would definitely take a toll on battery. Thing is, after quite a long crank It does fire.

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Other thing you might want to try is gas line antifreeze might of got some moisture in the tank..
Or maybe you should take it for a good drive since it only has 87 miles..
Hasn't got cold enough here, especially stored inside, to need gas line antifreeze.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
That is a possibility. I've checked and charged the battery. Didn't make any difference. It does, however, sound like the engine is turning over kinda slow, in my opinion, especially when cold. It cranks for quite a while though. Wonder if it was at dealership, starting and running only long enough to take out for display and at end of day back inside. As I said, it's last year model. Probably been there at least a year. That would definitely take a toll on battery. Thing is, after quite a long crank It does fire.
So once it warms up is it easy to start ok after that..I google your problem just for fun,and they say thick oil cause it's cold or battery.
I had kind of the same problem once at the gas when filling up kept turn over and over, nothing,so i turn it back off and started right up first crank.Does it bog out at high speed..again thinking it might gas light antifreeze or a good run...can't be to big of a problem plus no codes pop up yet..good Luck man

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
So once it warms up is it easy to start ok after that..I google your problem just for fun,and they say thick oil cause it's cold or battery.
I had kind of the same problem once at the gas when filling up kept turn over and over, nothing,so i turn it back off and started right up first crank.Does it bog out at high speed..again thinking it might gas light antifreeze or a good run...can't be to big of a problem plus no codes pop up yet..good Luck man
Yeah, once it starts once it fires immediately all day long as long as it doesn't get too cold. Doesn't bog. Actually runs extremely well once it's started. Heavy oil and questionable battery are what I'm thinking

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!