BOX1

P1000 Has anyone had they're brakes fail?

J

JTW

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine did it and I found a leak on the back driver side the bolt that holds the brake line on was leaking I had to tighten it then bleed the bakes.
You guys use brakes? Is that what the pedal left of the gas pedal is? HA! I really don't use the brake much, probable air though.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You guys use brakes? Is that what the pedal left of the gas pedal is? HA! I really don't use the brake much, probable air though.

Haha, only as a last resort should you touch the left pedal.

Reactions: JTW
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I was wondering about that.. why?
I would use manual vs electronic also. I have installed an electric & manual one on F350 superduty's with manual trans. The manual one will hold after a week were the electronic one bleeds off over nite.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Don't fool yourself into thinking the manual line locks can't or don't fail!!
Everything has failures, the manual doesn't require 12V to work. You pump the brakes and twist, push, pull or flip a lever and there it is. Electronic one, wire rubs against the bulk head and pops a fuse or a stick, a foot, what ever gets hung up on a loose wire and rips it out of the solenoid or switch. Now your SOL unless you manage to repair it or have spare fuses.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Everything has failures, the manual doesn't require 12V to work. You pump the brakes and twist, push, pull or flip a lever and there it is. Electronic one, wire rubs against the bulk head and pops a fuse or a stick, a foot, what ever gets hung up on a loose wire and rips it out of the solenoid or switch. Now your SOL unless you manage to repair it or have spare fuses.
I don't disagree.. that's why I went with the manual lock. I'm just saying... watch them! All of his is beside the point... they damn things need a freak'n mechanical emergency brake!

E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
I have changed the fluid to racing fluid with a higher boiling point hopefully it will help. I will be going back to Colorado in about a week. I just hope the brakes work this time. It's not good when they fail in them passes.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have changed the fluid to racing fluid with a higher boiling point hopefully it will help. I will be going back to Colorado in about a week. I just hope the brakes work this time. It's not good when they fail in them passes.
Did you notfind any loose fittings? Just gonna change the fluid?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
Did you notfind any loose fittings? Just gonna change the fluid?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
No there were no loose fittings. I just changed the fluid and will try it out in a few weeks. I only have problem at high altitude. I checked with some friends that race at high altitude and they suggested the high boiling point fluid. Honda told me they don't test these things over 10000 feet. So they were no help. I just hope it don't happen agin.

I

Ice

Oct 7, 2017
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was on Mt Antero last weekend at about 12000 ft coming down when my brakes went to the floor. Had to pump brake pedal four times before pedal came back. This happened twice in a short time then they worked good again. It was not a good time for this to happen. If it would have happened a few minutes earlier we would not be here. I'm going to talk to Honda about this in the morning. This is not a good thing since these do not have a emergency brake to fall back on. When this happened we had no brakes at all on a real steep grade and hairpin switchbacks with several thousand ft drop off. I'm just reporting this so hopefully everyone can be prepared if you have this happen. Will report back on this issue after I talk to Honda. Hopefully they replace master cylinder. I checked for leaks but all looked good.
Mine fail once in a while to I have 625 miles on now and when rideing high speed trails go to grab the brakes they get real mushy till you pump it twice then ok but doesn't do it all the time been watching the fluid level and all is good.

J

JTW

Mine did this in April at the Takeover after I broke an axle. Hasn’t done it sense.. not sure what to make of it now.

M

mcho

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2016
NW Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Manual or 12V makes no difference if you have no pressure to start with when it comes to line locks. What we need is an emergency break. Thank you. mcho

T

timl1641

Aug 26, 2018
Linden
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was on Mt Antero last weekend at about 12000 ft coming down when my brakes went to the floor. Had to pump brake pedal four times before pedal came back. This happened twice in a short time then they worked good again. It was not a good time for this to happen. If it would have happened a few minutes earlier we would not be here. I'm going to talk to Honda about this in the morning. This is not a good thing since these do not have a emergency brake to fall back on. When this happened we had no brakes at all on a real steep grade and hairpin switchbacks with several thousand ft drop off. I'm just reporting this so hopefully everyone can be prepared if you have this happen. Will report back on this issue after I talk to Honda. Hopefully they replace master cylinder. I checked for leaks but all looked good.

What you experienced was brake fade caused by the fluid boiling. Your changing the fluid to a high temp will definitely help. make sure you are not riding the pedal which is easy to do on steep downs, also make sure you don't a caliper dragging causing heat. if you have larger tires, they require more brake to stop equating to more heat. myself I you the trans to engine brake as much as possible, there are a few hills which brakes are a must but I don't attempt to run down them with too much speed, start heading down slow and don't let your speed get to fast, requires more brake to bleed the speed off creating too much heat.

Reactions: JTW and Plumber32
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Heat would be my guess for the failure.
When I was getting towed off Flag Mountain by my buddies Ranger I got them hot from trying to keep the tow strap tight to the point there was little brakes at all it went from good brakes to no brakes so fast I did not even notice it happening until they where gone.

That was high altitude which would have lowered the boiling point also, I let them cool down and they are as good as they ever where.