P1000 Has anyone had they're brakes fail?

E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
I was on Mt Antero last weekend at about 12000 ft coming down when my brakes went to the floor. Had to pump brake pedal four times before pedal came back. This happened twice in a short time then they worked good again. It was not a good time for this to happen. If it would have happened a few minutes earlier we would not be here. I'm going to talk to Honda about this in the morning. This is not a good thing since these do not have a emergency brake to fall back on. When this happened we had no brakes at all on a real steep grade and hairpin switchbacks with several thousand ft drop off. I'm just reporting this so hopefully everyone can be prepared if you have this happen. Will report back on this issue after I talk to Honda. Hopefully they replace master cylinder. I checked for leaks but all looked good.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was on Mt Antero last weekend at about 12000 ft coming down when my brakes went to the floor. Had to pump brake pedal four times before pedal came back. This happened twice in a short time then they worked good again. It was not a good time for this to happen. If it would have happened a few minutes earlier we would not be here. I'm going to talk to Honda about this in the morning. This is not a good thing since these do not have a emergency brake to fall back on. When this happened we had no brakes at all on a real steep grade and hairpin switchbacks with several thousand ft drop off. I'm just reporting this so hopefully everyone can be prepared if you have this happen. Will report back on this issue after I talk to Honda. Hopefully they replace master cylinder. I checked for leaks but all looked good.

That happened to be several times in the first month or so of owning my pioneer. I have no idea what caused it. I thought about contacting Honda but I couldn't reproduce the problem so I never did. I've got 1000 additional miles since then and it's never happened again.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting, my p1kd brakes sometimes will go all the way to the floor, have to pump them 2 or 3 times and they come back, but sometimes very scary like coming up on a corner of a busy road. Please post what Honda has to say.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Mine did it and I found a leak on the back driver side the bolt that holds the brake line on was leaking I had to tighten it then bleed the bakes.

E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to clean it up and check all lines and connections when I get home this weekend. I called customer support but they were no help.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sounds like cause for a good brake bleeding. I recently installed a line lock on my front brake system and bled the brakes afterwards... they worked better than before, so I'm guessing I may have had some air from the factory.

E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
Yes I plan to bleed the system after I check lines and fittings for leaks.

Reactions: dotman1
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Everett,
- Do you have any a-arm guards?
- What wheels and tires are you running?

Asking because someone.... I thought it was @joeymt33 but guess not since he did not mention it.
Well, they had a-arm guards and were running wider than factory tires. If they did not use the brakes for a while and this same thing would happen. At some point, they noticed the arm guard was rubbing. After they trimmed it up it stopped loosing pressure. Discussing it, the guards were also pressing against the caliper making the piston push back in just enough.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Everett,
- Do you have any a-arm guards?
- What wheels and tires are you running?

Asking because someone.... I thought it was @joeymt33 but guess not since he did not mention it.
Well, they had a-arm guards and were running wider than factory tires. If they did not use the brakes for a while and this same thing would happen. At some point, they noticed the arm guard was rubbing. After they trimmed it up it stopped loosing pressure. Discussing it, the guards were also pressing against the caliper making the piston push back in just enough.

My problem could have been related to the banjo bolt hitting the A-arm after the arched arms were installed. Even though I never saw a wet spot that would indicate a leak.

499ff46ab237f134ce444c33ccd040ca

B8db8c6526d665de9980246090bd3ba1

I never mentioned it because it was isolated to early in my ownership and only several short times. I thought it may have been because of air in the lines. Guess I'll never know.

Signature:

QUOTE by Tflynn, "The aftermarket doesn't build what you want? Show them your favorite finger and build it yourself!"

E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
I have not had time to check lines and connections yet. Been too busy. Hope to have time over the weekend. Yes I have A-arm guards (Honda) and stock tires and wheels.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
sounds like cause for a good brake bleeding. I recently installed a line lock on my front brake system and bled the brakes afterwards... they worked better than before, so I'm guessing I may have had some air from the factory.

Same with me I installed a line loc and bled them seemed to work better than before.

Reactions: PioneerPete
J

JTW

How does this line lock work and where are you mounting it? Anyone have a build link?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How does this line lock work and where are you mounting it? Anyone have a build link?
There are some installed pics in my garage photos. It taps into the front lines at the master cylinder.

Reactions: JTW
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I would use a manual one like his vs the electric one like mine fyi

Reactions: JTW
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks.. I shouldn't have looked thru all those garage pics! That's exactly the direction I plan on going with everything!
If you are interested in the brake line stop, I can get you some more pics of the tubing that needs to be made up and where to connect it. It's very simple and effective.

Reactions: JTW and AKRider
J

JTW

If you are interested in the brake line stop, I can get you some more pics of the tubing that needs to be made up and where to connect it. It's very simple and effective.
Whenever you have time.. I'm out of town all week. So no hurry.. but this is most certainly something I'm interested in doing.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whenever you have time.. I'm out of town all week. So no hurry.. but this is most certainly something I'm interested in doing.
sorry @JTW I don't recall getting a notification for this post, so just now seeing it. I'll try to get some pics for you this evening.