Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Buy one from this Sites' Supporting Vendors or

Look for a Multi Craft Plastics Co. Facility,
close to you. They sell bulk or one off's and will custom cut for very little. If you can score a template and then order would be ideal. Prices will vary based on thickness, qty and account status. Some box stores carry it too.
I'd also suggest using UHMW(skids), rather than HDPE(roof).
Difference between HDPE and UHMW

Good luck

Last edited:
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

close to you. They sell bulk or one off's and will custom cut for very little. If you can score a template and then order would be ideal. Prices will vary based on thickness, qty and account status. Some box stores carry it too.

Good luck
I don't see how that sight can claim "low cost". I've had to buy it for some jobs and it was always expensive.

rubyred16

rubyred16

Aug 24, 2018
troy mo
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Good luck
big help thank you!

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't see how that sight can claim "low cost". I've had to buy it for some jobs and it was always expensive.
Agree, everything is out of control expensive, now.
I just bought some UHMW 4'x10' for my Pioneer project through Multi Craft plastics and was only affordable only being able to run through my company account.

Heinecke2

Heinecke2

Nov 15, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a couple sheets of 4'x8' hdpe at 3/8" thick for $95 per sheet in spring from Menards. Had to wait 6wks for it to ship to local store.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought .100 ($19.99/ 2x3' sheet) and .25" HDPE ($83/ 4x8 sheet) for my wife's roof and doors at Menards. The roof and doors aren't prone to impacts so HDPE was a good choice. For skid plates I'd recommend UHMW. I made my own Pioneer skid plate from 3/8" UHMW that I bought from Ideal plastic ($350 4x8 sheet with 1 cut 32"x8' and 16"x8')

Wildcat doors and roof
PXL 20211219 211324727

Wildcat build

Skid plate build for Pioneer

Actual build thread

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree with hdpe for top and umhw for bottom. Don't know where you live but some big suppliers I have used are SABIC Polymer shapes, Cope Plastics, Regal Plastics and Laird. I'm in the St Louis area and all of the places mentioned have facilities there. I'd also look at McMaster Carr. I have a file for the skid plate if you need it. Send to any one of these places (except McMaster) and they can cut it on a cnc router.

rubyred16

rubyred16

Aug 24, 2018
troy mo
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Agree with hdpe for top and umhw for bottom. Don't know where you live but some big suppliers I have used are SABIC Polymer shapes, Cope Plastics, Regal Plastics and Laird. I'm in the St Louis area and all of the places mentioned have facilities there. I'd also look at McMaster Carr. I have a file for the skid plate if you need it. Send to any one of these places (except McMaster) and they can cut it on a cnc router.
I'm near stl and thanks for the tips. I did look at menards thanks to the suggestions from others and my local store does have in stock the hdpe for the roof! I will look at those places for the skid plates thank you.

rubyred16

rubyred16

Aug 24, 2018
troy mo
Ownership

1. 1000-3
oh and yeah if you wanna send the file for the skid I will gladly take it.

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
Heinecke2

Heinecke2

Nov 15, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this isn't a popular opinion but I made 2 sets of full belly skid plates (one for me, one for brother) from the 3/8" HDPE I mentioned above. Both sets holding up well (no damage I could discern last time I dropped my skid). We mostly drag over down trees and clay creek edges. Not rock crawling.

rubyred16

rubyred16

Aug 24, 2018
troy mo
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know this isn't a popular opinion but I made 2 sets of full belly skid plates (one for me, one for brother) from the 3/8" HDPE I mentioned above. Both sets holding up well (no damage I could discern last time I dropped my skid). We mostly drag over down trees and clay creek edges. Not rock crawling.
That is what I do with mine light trail and land work good to know thank you.

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
A tip...just for a minute..... HDPE expands and contracts with temperature so be sure to use oversize fastening holes so that it can move freely without warping.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I bought .100 ($19.99/ 2x3' sheet) and .25" HDPE ($83/ 4x8 sheet) for my wife's roof and doors at Menards. The roof and doors aren't prone to impacts so HDPE was a good choice. For skid plates I'd recommend UHMW. I made my own Pioneer skid plate from 3/8" UHMW that I bought from Ideal plastic ($350 4x8 sheet with 1 cut 32"x8' and 16"x8')

Wildcat doors and roof
View attachment 309862
Wildcat build

Skid plate build for Pioneer

Actual build thread
Todd, how did you bend the HDPE and the UHMW?

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I also used 3/8" HDPE for a full skid plate for my P500. I laid the 2 front parts of the stock 3 part skid plate on a 4' x 8' piece of HDPE that I bought at Menards and created a one piece skid plate that goes under the stock front 2 pieces (between the stock skid plates and bottom of the P500). The HDPE skid plate was extended to the outside of the side tubes and zip tied onto the side tubes. The original bolts were replaces with a 3/8" longer bolt and the original skid plate (plastic up front and metal in the middle) holds the HDPE skid plate in place. The rear section was just doubled up. I rode the 320 mile Rim Rocker trail with this configuration and did slide over a few rock selves and have numerous rocks shoot from the tires into the skid plate with no damage except a few shallow scrapes. One thing I did find out is that I need to create a couple inner fender well protectors pieces because the front tires did shot several rocks into the firewall and between the skid plate and floor. One other note, putting on the skid plate(s) takes a bit longer and requires me to start in the front and work my way back with the help of a floor jack. I used a solder iron to score a notch for the bend around the fuel tank, then a heat gun to make the bend. So far it has worked good and cost less than $100.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've done a fair amount of UHMW bending with a heat gun. You almost can't damage it, as when it "melts" it doesn't flow like most other plastics. At about 265 F it starts to turn clear (at least the white stuff does, I haven't worked with black or the non-virgin stuff). When it does that it's fairly easy to bend, but you have to hold it in the desired position until it cools, as plastic memory has it wanting to go back. You can use compressed air or a light water spray to speed the cooling process up. If it's thick, it'll cool on the outside first and still want to spring back, so maintaining position is important.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!