P1000 Heat Issue Input

H

HondaTech

Most of you guys have had some sort of heat issue with your P1K. I work for a Honda dealer in Ky and would like to gather some info on your issues/fixes/idea, etc.
Feel free to post any information you have including pictures, but I'm really looking for the following:
1. How bad would you rate the P1k based on your sxs experience? 1-10, 10 being the hottest
2. What have you tried to remedy the issue? Results?
3. What are you currently using to remedy the issue? Results?
4. Have you or your dealer contacted Honda about the issue? Results?

Of the ones I've sold, only 3 have complained ( to us anyway) about the issue and we've had varying results with fixes.
Be sure to include what model you have, as well as any accessories you have installed that may pertain to the issue (cab, roof, windshield, skidplates, etc) Also did any of these accessories help or worsen the problem at hand.
Thanks for you input, we're just trying to help out fellow owners and our dealership better understand the problems you guys are experiencing. Have a great day and thanks for choosing Honda.

T

tsummerl

Mar 31, 2016
Broaddus Texas
Come to texas or anywhere in the deep south in the summer and we can show you heat. I have installed a foil backed windshield shade (Cut to fit) as explained in many posts on this forum. At least my wife will ride with me now. I have called Honda and was told I would be hearing back from my dealer within 2 weeks. That was over 3 Weeks ago and I have yet to hear back from Ross Motorsports in Lufkin Texas. There are lots of threads in this forum explaining the issue and DIY solutions with a variety of results.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Windshield shade? How do you drive and see through the foil backing?

R

RANGER1

Jul 18, 2016
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
done the windshield shade mod I saw on this forum. wow what a resource, really helped with heat from under seat.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Most of you guys have had some sort of heat issue with your P1K. I work for a Honda dealer in Ky and would like to gather some info on your issues/fixes/idea, etc.
Feel free to post any information you have including pictures, but I'm really looking for the following:
1. How bad would you rate the P1k based on your sxs experience? 1-10, 10 being the hottest

Of the ones I've sold, only 3 have complained ( to us anyway) about the issue and we've had varying results with fixes.
Be sure to include what model you have, as well as any accessories you have installed that may pertain to the issue (cab, roof, windshield, skidplates, etc) Also did any of these accessories help or worsen the problem at hand.
Thanks for you input, we're just trying to help out fellow owners and our dealership better understand the problems you guys are experiencing. Have a great day and thanks for choosing Honda.

2016 P1000-5D
Hard roof
I have windshield but don't use in summer
Full UHMW skid plates

I installed the BYB heat shield under the seat and takes the seat belt holes. This helped quite a bit

I put some adhesive backed reflective insulation on all plastic parts in the front and rear passenger areas. This also helped quite a bit.

I installed one 4" bilge fan aimed directly at the header and that worked the best. After these three mods, I don't have a heat problem. In the winter, I'll pull the heat shield from under the seat and not use the fan because he heat will be welcomed.

Now to your questions:

1: I don't know how to answer this question. I do not have much experience in other side-by-side's. I will tell you that it is upsetting that I have this heat issue considering the amount of money that was spent on the vehicle. I'll say. 7-8 on your scale.

2&3: I did three things listed above

4: I did not contact my dealer. I figured I could cure the problem quicker and better for not a lot of money. After seeing the "kit" that was released, i'm glad that I didn't wait on that.

Don't forget about the steam issue that rises up under the seat!

I will add this comment, the plastic between the seat back and seat cushion Will get so hot that you cannot hold your hand on it. It has turned my son's rear end red from sitting on it. Once it gets too hot, it's unbearable and he won't sit there anymore. He then sits in my lap, so we will end our ride short since that is a safety concern.

Thank you for bringing this up and organizing everyone's thoughts in one location.

Joe

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1 with the windshield and roof on I would rate about a 9

2 I cut and fit heat reflecting material under the seat. It reduced the rating down to about a 7

3 I'm am currently using the heat shield, and also took off the windshield. Now I would rate the heat around a 3, I don't think any sxs can go lower than a 3 without using a air conditioner.

4 I talked to my dealer yesterday, he knows about the issue but only about three people have complained to him out of all the ones they have sold ( Honda of cool springs ) I also asked him if the had the rubber heat shield, he said no but they did send them some kind of sticky back heat reflecting material. He said they have only added it to one.

I have a P1k3 I hope this helps.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I bought my P1k 5 seater deluxe in the winter and installed the Honda roof and split windshield. Also installed full skids. The heat felt great in the winter and spring time. Around the first of June, when temps started creeping up to 90 here in Chattanooga, I noticed the heat was not so pleasant, so I installed reflective heat material under the seat and the plastic piece between the upper and lower seat cushions. This helped a little, but not much. My buddies (2 tough guys, a Marine and a carpenter) both said they were not going to ride with me anymore and that the heat shielding didn't help at all. This was on a night ride when outside temps were around 87degrees. I then installed 2 bilge blowers (a 3" and a 4"), which did solve the problem to my buddies' satisfaction (and mine).
1. I've never ridden in another SxS, but the heat in my P1k was completely ridiculous and not tolerable... it was a 10
2. heat shielding didn't help (knocked the heat down to a 9). bilge blowers did (knocked the heat down to a 4 or 5).
3. I have both installed right now (shielding and blowers).
4. No. It was easier for me to just fix it than to try and tote it back and forth to the dealer.

Reactions: dotman1
Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great post!!! I have p1kd I've had it about 6 wks I have 850 mi. On it now, no problems other than the heat, I traded in a CanAm maverick 1000 that I thought was hot to ride in warm weather 80 plus until now!!! In my opinion a lot of people don't ride the miles that I do, seems like the first 10 to 15 miles the heat is not bad, but from then on it gets unbearable especially if you hit a mud puddle to spray water up on the headers, I would rate this a 10!! I have talked to the dealer, I was the first to complain, I called Honda three weeks ago, same lingo you will hear from your dealer in two weeks, well I didn't so I called them, yes they had heard from Honda and are waiting for parts that was over a week ago, so yesterday I called Honda again, they said the parts will be sent out next week, that's over a month of being jacked around!! Of all the warning stickers on this machine I have yet to find one warning of heat stroke!!!

Reactions: Luv4Chaos1
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm gonna avoid all the typing by saying I had same results as Joey and PioneerPete since we live so close together. Our rigs are similarly equipped. The foil heat shield did help but not enough. I installed 2 3" bilge blowers facing head and manifold. I no longer have a heat problem. It still gets warm, but it is the south in summertime and I am sitting on top of an engine. The steam from crossing streams is bearable now.

advertisement
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hell it gets hot but its an ATV so I don't mind it. I too have to heat shield mod on mine and it helped quite a bit.

1. My RZR 1000 wasn't as bad, but the engine was mounted more towards the rear. Any central-mounted engine SXS is gunna get hot somewhat.
2. Heat shield from Bayou
3. Seems to help quite a bit, but I don't do much long trail riding in the summer.
4. Haven't contacted dealer.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
S

saswanny

Aug 3, 2016
Wyoming
2016 P1000-5D
Hard roof
I have windshield but don't use in summer
Full UHMW skid plates

I installed the BYB heat shield under the seat and takes the seat belt holes. This helped quite a bit

I put some adhesive backed reflective insulation on all plastic parts in the front and rear passenger areas. This also helped quite a bit.

I installed one 4" bilge fan aimed directly at the header and that worked the best. After these three mods, I don't have a heat problem. In the winter, I'll pull the heat shield from under the seat and not use the fan because he heat will be welcomed.

Now to your questions:

1: I don't know how to answer this question. I do not have much experience in other side-by-side's. I will tell you that it is upsetting that I have this heat issue considering the amount of money that was spent on the vehicle. I'll say. 7-8 on your scale.

2&3: I did three things listed above

4: I did not contact my dealer. I figured I could cure the problem quicker and better for not a lot of money. After seeing the "kit" that was released, i'm glad that I didn't wait on that.

Don't forget about the steam issue that rises up under the seat!

I will add this comment, the plastic between the seat back and seat cushion Will get so hot that you cannot hold your hand on it. It has turned my son's rear end red from sitting on it. Once it gets too hot, it's unbearable and he won't sit there anymore. He then sits in my lap, so we will end our ride short since that is a safety concern.

Thank you for bringing this up and organizing everyone's thoughts in one location.

Joe
Where did you mount the bilge fan I'm very interested in the mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Where did you mount the bilge fan I'm very interested in the mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for a Private message. I'll keep this thread clean.

B

Brennon

Oct 17, 2015
Fort Myers, FL
I have always been a big fan of Honda machines. I was looking to buy a new SXS and waited a few months for the Honda 1000 to hit the market. I bought the first one in the State of Florida. If I had waited and rode on one before I purchased, I can tell you that I would not have bought the Honda. The heat from the machine in South Florida is almost unbearable. Not only is the heat an issue, hitting a small puddle will produce scalding hot steam the comes up your back and on the back of your legs. I have owned mine since last October, it is a well made machine that runs great. So I don't want to sound like I am totally negative here, but man a few small engineering changes at the factory could have prevented this whole issue.

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
1. I would say about an 7 but the wife says 10
2. I've got the heat shield that I bought off facebook, the wife says its no help
3. All that I've tried , wife just won't ride in it anymore she rides with my 12yr old on his P500 (its gets hot but nothing like the 1000)
4. My local dealer is a joke, I drove 3hrs to get mine so I didn't call them just called Honda they said no longer had their heat shield

I live down in Louisiana where the heat is horrible , I've got roof and 2 piece windshield with top part off right now because of heat .

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Heat discomfort is 9 out of 10! Steam discomfort is 10 out of 10!
1. I added under seat silver bubble barrier. Helped heat about 10% and steam about 50% .
2. I added "cool it" thermal barrier to plastic seat mid-panel. Helped heat about 20% and steam about 20%.
3. Honda installed prototype "heat shield". It consisted of a rubber mat under seat and weather stripping for the top of the plastic seat mid-panel. It helped the heat about 10% and steam 80%.
4. I re-installed my silver bubble barrier under seat on top of the Honda barrier.
5. I installed 4" bilge fan under seat on passenger side blowing across headers toward rear. It is a huge help! The heat is 90% gone. It is easy to realize you forgot to turn it on after a stop. When you turn it on, the ambient heat is pulled out. The steam is all but gone. I only notice the steam smell now, not the actual burning on my rear!
6. In the future, I am going to add "cool it" material to the plastic panel behind my calves. I think it will help with the general ambient heat in the cab.

H

HondaTech

Appreciate all the input you guys have made. Anyone with a fan modification care to post pictures or PM me them instead.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Blower mod 2

Blower mod

I installed a 4" blowing across the exhaust manifold and a 3" blowing at the valve covers. I'm pretty sure that only the one across the exhaust is needed. The other one was just because... It really is a simple, inexpensive mod that everyone should have. I believe I will try to reverse the polarity in winter and cut a hole in the plastic behind my leg so that I get heat from it too.

advertisement