P1000 Heat

F

fusonkurtis

Dec 31, 2015
Has anyone else had trouble with excessive heat form the seat it's still cool and it gets way to hot summer will be crazy

Yeldarb

Yeldarb

Sep 23, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone else had trouble with excessive heat form the seat it's still cool and it gets way to hot summer will be crazy
I have excessive heat as well. I ride with another P1000 who does not. The only difference between the two, I have the Honda 1/4 windscreen and full Trail Armor skids, hmmm

Reactions: Stauvo
Tabascojunkie

Tabascojunkie

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 25, 2016
SE Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had lower half of 2 PC windshield in this weekend and got steamed a couple times goin through water.
I have the stock skids and it was in the mid 70s in Louisiana. Don't want that happening in 90 degree heat of summer.
Wife jumped out the seat the first time and laid a jacket along the back to block reoccurrence then I got got scolded and avoided water till I put a covering.
Today-
Covered holes where tabs on seat mount with tape and cut to fit snug to hopefully stop steam rising there and fabricating a heat shield to cover subtrans. If this doesn't stop it I will look to make a snorkel/duct for steam to escape compartment.

Image Image Image Image

Reactions: CumminsPusher
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had lower half of 2 PC windshield in this weekend and got steamed a couple times goin through water.
I have the stock skids and it was in the mid 70s in Louisiana. Don't want that happening in 90 degree heat of summer.
Wife jumped out the seat the first time and laid a jacket along the back to block reoccurrence then I got got scolded and avoided water till I put a covering.
Today-
Covered holes where tabs on seat mount with tape and cut to fit snug to hopefully stop steam rising there and fabricating a heat shield to cover subtrans. If this doesn't stop it I will look to make a snorkel/duct for steam to escape compartment.

View attachment 13021 View attachment 13022 View attachment 13023 View attachment 13024
Now glad i didn't get the heater. Sounds like will get enough heat while hunting in fall from heated seat?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Now glad i didn't get the heater. Sounds like will get enough heat while hunting in fall from heated seat?
We went lots of times this winter in the snow not to far from you @franzw we had full windshield upper doors roof mid panel and had our coats off. If you're not doing at least 20 it fogs a bit but squeegee works wonders. Warm as hell. I'm positive it will stay warm in back with our panels up but we haven't tried. My mind heater over kill. It takes 10 min till nice and warm. I do agree though stay the hell away from water unless totally open!!!! Feels like Satan is crawling up your butt

Reactions: franzw and nbomar
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Today-

View attachment 13021 View attachment 13022 View attachment 13023 View attachment 13024
Did the tape help

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Curious myself

Sparkyknowsbest

Sparkyknowsbest

Apr 20, 2016
Henderson NV
I have excessive heat as well. I ride with another P1000 who does not. The only difference between the two, I have the Honda 1/4 windscreen and full Trail Armor skids, hmmm
I have the same equipment and machine it looks like from your pic, and mine heats up like crazy! I think the skid plate may hold or redirect the heat towards the front seat, we need to get something to block it or it will be a miserable ride this summer. PS we are in Henderson NV and in the summer, a 100 degree day is balmy.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I get the hot air coming up around the seat only when I have my half windshield on, a little bit of dust too, only the stock skid plates on mine. Kind of a bummer as I was hoping the half windshield would eliminate that but if I use it without the windshield, there is no hot air and no dust. My conclusion is that if you run a windshield of any sort, you will get a vacume in the cab area which is why the warm air is pulled from around the seat. I tried raising my half windshield up a few inches to let air in under it and it seemed to help quite a bit with the warm air being pulled in. I believe it is warm air pulling in, not radiant heat so to speak. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased any windshield.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I get the hot air coming up around the seat only when I have my half windshield on, a little bit of dust too, only the stock skid plates on mine. Kind of a bummer as I was hoping the half windshield would eliminate that but if I use it without the windshield, there is no hot air and no dust. My conclusion is that if you run a windshield of any sort, you will get a vacume in the cab area which is why the warm air is pulled from around the seat. I tried raising my half windshield up a few inches to let air in under it and it seemed to help quite a bit with the warm air being pulled in. I believe it is warm air pulling in, not radiant heat so to speak. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased any windshield.
This is why I designed all my accessories around the windshield and roof even hid the wires so they don't get snagged...so those items can be taken off in the summer without losing all the cool stuff. It's nice to pop out the glass and go to half window or none in 5min. The 700 was like that and the windshield sucks over 70degrees I learned my lesson.

tradhunter

tradhunter

Feb 24, 2016
wyo
I finally figured out where most of the heat and dust is coming from. Check the seat back, the part your back goes against and you will find a gap under the bottom edge that goes thru to the engine compartment. It about 1/2 to 3/4 inch and if you raise the box and look from the back it is visible from the back. It is behind the air box cover and on both sides. I took foam rubber strips and stuffed them in the space under the seat back and made a big difference. Stopped most of the dust and heat coming in that way. I also packed the back edges of the seat bottom and across the seat top. I have a 1000-3 with 2 piece windshield and hard roof and hard back.

D

Dasmoeturhead

The heat is the 1 real complaint I have. I'm wondering if I cut one of those silver reflective automotive windshield covers, and put the reflective part towards the engine compartment, if that would help. You'd have to cut it pretty exact, but it might work. IDK.

Sparkyknowsbest

Sparkyknowsbest

Apr 20, 2016
Henderson NV
Thanks for the great suggestions, but call me a cynical newbie, but it seems terribly cheesy on the part of Honda to not be working on a fix for this. Just went for another short ride, and our bottoms feel like we are the main course at the weekend BBQ!.. Now don't get me wrong, I agree that duct tape is the handy mans best friend for every application, - I get that, but come on Honda, you should not be "OK" with literally branding your brand into your customers flanks with the excessive heat coming from these expensive machines!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I haven't tried it yet but do you think taking the doors off in the summer would help any?
May
I haven't tried it yet but do you think taking the doors off in the summer would help any?
a little for sure. I actually can't wait to get them off I'm tired of always smacking my face on either the window trying to find tire placement or the door frame getting in or out. Plus it makes me feel confined and that's not why we do this. However they easily gave us two more months of comfortable riding.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I finally figured out where most of the heat and dust is coming from. Check the seat back, the part your back goes against and you will find a gap under the bottom edge that goes thru to the engine compartment. It about 1/2 to 3/4 inch and if you raise the box and look from the back it is visible from the back. It is behind the air box cover and on both sides. I took foam rubber strips and stuffed them in the space under the seat back and made a big difference. Stopped most of the dust and heat coming in that way. I also packed the back edges of the seat bottom and across the seat top. I have a 1000-3 with 2 piece windshield and hard roof and hard back.
Would like to see a picture if you got one. Thanks

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!