P500 Honda Pioneer 500 fuel mileage?

K

kirk

Jun 1, 2016
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Hello, I just got my 2016 Honda Pioneer 500 on Tuesday July 12th 2016. Love the little guy, I was wondering what is everyone getting for fuel mileage? I plan on a trip to northern Michigan in August and am concerned with the fuel mileage. Tank was filled up from dealer when picked up and only 34.3 miles on a tank full, well I filled it up when the low fuel flashed. so I figure about 10 miles per gallon on the trail? is this about right?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello, I just got my 2016 Honda Pioneer 500 on Tuesday July 12th 2016. Love the little guy, I was wondering what is everyone getting for fuel mileage? I plan on a trip to northern Michigan in August and am concerned with the fuel mileage. Tank was filled up from dealer when picked up and only 34.3 miles on a tank full, well I filled it up when the low fuel flashed. so I figure about 10 miles per gallon on the trail? is this about right?

This topic is subjective to many different scenarios. I know for me, my fuel mileage would be poor because I spend too much time playing in the mud or trying to go through Deepwater or climbing big rocks.

Some guys like @rocmar runs trails that are a little more open and add a much quicker pace so his fuel mileage would be very different. Also with the 500, it depends on when you shift gears. I've heard some of the guys say that they get over 100 miles per tank.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I doubt it. You should do far better than that, I average 30 or so mpg.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
It really depends on how you drive it. I do alot of short runs where the motor barely gets warmed up and that will kill mpg. If you are trail riding and keep it moving you will get much better. It also sounds like it is new, the motor is still breaking in. I would put a few hundred miles on it and check again.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
You got 34.3 miles
on a full tank?

Reactions: Rpoore
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome kirk! What part of northern Michigan are you planning to ride?
St. Helen and Oscoda have awesome trails. Gladwin sucks.
Once you get on any of these trails, you can go clear to the bridge.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I am working on some spare fuel ideas. Don't like the rotopax containers and they take up some room. Trying to figure out how to incorporate some tankage into the bits we need for the vehicle. I have attached a picture of a bumper I started making last night. It holds 1.4 gallons. 20160719 223500 resized

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I am working on some spare fuel ideas. Don't like the rotopax containers and they take up some room. Trying to figure out how to incorporate some tankage into the bits we need for the vehicle. I have attached a picture of a bumper I started making last night. It holds 1.4 gallons. View attachment 18700
Your not concerned about
the exhaust?

Reactions: Stacy and ehart814
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Your not concerned about
the exhaust?
I don't think so. Its quite a ways from the exhaust and I did give it some fairly serious consideration. The upper part of the muffler has a heat shroud on it and then there is the surface area of the tube to dissipate heat which is sizeable. I was going to put one under the drivers seat but that area is quite the little oven in its own account. Then one can always put a heat shield on the spot on the bumper nearest to the exhaust if its is a problem. But my life as a ME and designing fired vessels makes my gut tell me it should be okay. If its not I guess it will be a air tank.

Thank you.
John

Reactions: rocmar
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I am working on some spare fuel ideas. Don't like the rotopax containers and they take up some room. Trying to figure out how to incorporate some tankage into the bits we need for the vehicle. I have attached a picture of a bumper I started making last night. It holds 1.4 gallons. View attachment 18700
This reminds me of a story years ago when In nascar Derril Waltrips crew chief designed a roll cage to hold extra fuel. It worked but...

Reactions: trigger
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
This reminds me of a story years ago when In nascar Derril Waltrips crew chief designed a roll cage to hold extra fuel. It worked but...
Having actually destroyed a couple of Rotopax's I feel better about this idea. I pierced one on the back of a Can-Am and had quite the rush thinking all that vaporized fuel was going to combust before I got my beer out of the cooler.

Reactions: SXSHP500CO
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Having actually destroyed a couple of Rotopax's I feel better about this idea. I pierced one on the back of a Can-Am and had quite the rush thinking all that vaporized fuel was going to combust before I got my beer out of the cooler.
It's actually a great idea! Back bumper really wouldn't hit anything. It just reminds me of that which I thought was brilliant but not in a 180mph race car.

Reactions: locoboilerguy
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I don't think so. Its quite a ways from the exhaust and I did give it some fairly serious consideration. The upper part of the muffler has a heat shroud on it and then there is the surface area of the tube to dissipate heat which is sizeable. I was going to put one under the drivers seat but that area is quite the little oven in its own account. Then one can always put a heat shield on the spot on the bumper nearest to the exhaust if its is a problem. But my life as a ME and designing fired vessels makes my gut tell me it should be okay. If its not I guess it will be a air tank.
go with bigger tube....if it held
a full tank....go for it.
+extra fire extinguisher

Thank you.
John

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
When I get done with this thing in a week or so ( just ordered the fuel cap and that will take a week) I will post a drawing and where to get the bits to make it along with some pictures. I was also concerned about cosmetics and didn't think a bigger tube looked any good but you are correct about the bigger tube. It wouldn't take much. I think I will play with the furnace under the drivers seat next. The real place for a tank is under the front bonnet. I bought one of those EMP storage boxes and it would be a simple thing to seal it up and you would get about 4 gallons. I go away for 4 or 5 days at a time and don't see a station. My big box on the back holds all the camping crap and the cooler is for the ice for the martinis.

Reactions: p500fan and rocmar
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get 50 miles riding atv trails in 2-3 gear, then 90 miles on gravel roads (3-5 gear) when hunting with my dad . 400 lbs both of us :) + 100 lbs gear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought about adding second tank under the driver space, it's well protected by my uhmw skid plate. But I don't do expedition trips so ok for now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Seems like I never put gas in mine.... I don't know what the MPG's are, but these things do amazing on fuel. Probably helps that I'm in 5th gear most of the miles, but still, wow. I've never had to put gas in mine more than once in a day. 960 or so miles on it now.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!