P500 I am going to make a snorkel for my 500 and got a few questions

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Going to make a snorkel for my Pioneer 500 but I have a few questions before I go to get the materials.
I am ininitionally planning on cutting the Fresh air intake right about where the factory cover snaps over the end of the tube
then running the PVC up along the edge of the ROPS to the roof (looks like this 312500 WR4  47719  205921650371904Then across the ROPS and forward a short ways then putting a Unifilter (used as a prefilter ) to the Factory filter similair to this one in the Pic, on the end of the PVC and with it being under the roof.

My questions are will 2 inch pvc be big enough to keep the air being too restricted or would 3 inch be better suited?
Also concerning the noise with it being located under the roof,will 2 inch (assuming otherwise being big enough)be significantly louder than using 3 inch ?
(not that it is going to make a big deal of difference as I have little hearing left from shooting a lot back in the 70's when no one used ear plugs or muffs).

What Length of PVC Pipe will I need to get with what I am going to do and what angle of fittings will I need.
Also what type of glue ?

Anything else I will need to do this project ?

I will be Picking up the materials at Lowes or Home Depot on my way home today.
Probably have to order the UNIfilter as I dont think they will carry that .

Thank's
OIP.65To-S2f2MLePvcThNcowQHaE8

Reactions: TxDoc and NTCPrezJB
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is probably what your trying to do. It has all the measurements and shows u where to put that filter. This has been tried and tested. Same one @trigger and I have/had

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Where exactly are you planning to land that filter in the cab?
On the passenger side in front of the Rops and under the roof.
And support it with either /and hose clamps and zip tied.
Maybe rubber tarp straps.
This is probably what your trying to do. It has all the measurements and shows u where to put that filter. This has been tried and tested. Same one @trigger and I have/had
That is nice work that you did.

I was planning on just using one pipe that one would be good enough ??

Reactions: Backwoods
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
On the passenger side in front of the Rops and under the roof.
And support it with either /and hose clamps and zip tied.
Maybe rubber tarp straps.

That is nice work that you did.

I was planning on just using one pipe that one would be good enough ??
Will that leave you headroom for a passenger? The pic you showed looks like an EMP roof, which gives less headroom than the Honda one.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Some more ideas for you.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Will that leave you headroom for a passenger? The pic you showed looks like an EMP roof, which gives less headroom than the Honda one.
It is an Open Trail Brand

Just a nice cheap $150.00 roof that I bought several years ago on ebay to keep me in the shade whille driving.

Does the Job I wanted it to do and keeps a low profile to the roof.

I dont think that the Headroom will be an problem as 99 % of the time I am by myself and if I do have someone else with me it will be my Wife or my Momma and they are both only about 5 foot tall and about 90 pounds.

My wife is 75 and my Momma is 87 Years old .

I am 64 so My wife robbed the cradle and last time I got a little smart mouthed with Momma she informed me quickly that she brought me into this world and she could take me out of it !!

They are both a hoot and backseat driver's,figuratively speaking, as my 500 does not have a backseat .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KyGal83 and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It is an Open Trail Brand

Just a nice cheap $150.00 roof that I bought several years ago on ebay to keep me in the shade whille driving.

Does the Job I wanted it to do and keeps a low profile to the roof.

I dont think that the Headroom will be an problem as 99 % of the time I am by myself and if I do have someone else with me it will be my Wife or my Momma and they are both only about 5 foot tall and about 90 pounds.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't cappin' on your roof choice or anything, just looking at the situation. I clicked on both links the guys have posted. The one with the intake inside the cab looks like he centered it between the two seats. I have no idea what the intake looks like on the 520 but I'd cut the tube somewhere easily accessible and use a Fernco for the connection. Messing with the connection to the airbox isn't necessary.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I didnt design or make that thread .
I think one pipe might be too noisy and restrictive IMO but Im just a mechanic that dosnt know anything lol
But I bet that you did a good Job when you did yours.
You may be Just a Mechanic but you should not be so down on yourself being so Humble and all !
LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
advertisement
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't cappin' on your roof choice or anything, just looking at the situation. I clicked on both links the guys have posted. The one with the intake inside the cab looks like he centered it between the two seats. I have no idea what the intake looks like on the 520 but I'd cut the tube somewhere easily accessible and use a Fernco for the connection. Messing with the connection to the airbox isn't necessary.

No sir and I did not take it that way,Just describing the roof to you and why I chose it .

Thats what I was thinking about the ease of accessibility of Just cutting where the end of the air intake is and cutting about where the Plastic cap snaps down and then the Rops would be real close to the PVC and I could secure the PVC to the Rops.
Then run the PVcC across the back of the roof and then when I get as far over to the passenger side as I can go make a turn toward the front of the Machine to place the Unifilter under the roof .

I did not know whether that was too far to run the 2 inch PVC pipe or not.

Mine is the Pioneer 500 ,the Picture of the 520 with the roof on it is Just a Stock photo I found on the internet that I thought would show the fitment of the roof to Rops.better than just a pic of the roof itself.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
No sir and I did not take it that way,Just describing the roof to you and why I chose it .

Thats what I was thinking about the ease of accessibility of Just cutting where the end of the air intake is and cutting about where the Plastic cap snaps down and then the Rops would be real close to the PVC and I could secure the PVC to the Rops.
Then run the PVcC across the back of the roof and then when I get as far over to the passenger side as I can go make a turn toward the front of the Machine to place the Unifilter under the roof .

I did not know whether that was too far to run the 2 inch PVC pipe or not.

Mine is the Pioneer 500 ,the Picture of the 520 with the roof on it is Just a Stock photo I found on the internet that I thought would show the fitment of the roof to Rops.better than just a pic of the roof itself.
I used 2" pvc and 2 fernco couplers. I cut the factory intake just behind the driver seat and slapped on a fernco then out and up the side of the ropes then over to the passenger side and pointing out the back. It is not restrictive in anyway. Plenty of airflow. I used zipties to hold it on.

Reactions: Bcraig
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well I got a Pleminary list of things that I can get at Home Depot.
I have never done this Before and wanted to run this by those that have.

Questions are

Is this the right Kind or Cement and Primer to use when making the snorkel and will this be enough ?

Is this type of Cement waterproof and if so How long will it continue to be waterproof ?

Do I need all the PVC fittings as 90 Degree or a couple of them to be 45 degree ?

About how long will the Rubber last when exposed to the elements?

Is there a place that offers the same material significantly Cheaper ?
Not a terrible titewad but hey if I can get the materials for less somewhere else I will .

Anything else other than the Unifoam filter that I need to do the Snorkel the way I talked about doing it ?

Thank's

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I used 2" pvc and 2 fernco couplers. I cut the factory intake just behind the driver seat and slapped on a fernco then out and up the side of the ropes then over to the passenger side and pointing out the back. It is not restrictive in anyway. Plenty of airflow. I used zipties to hold it on.
Thank you much

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What size ID and OD Unifilter did you use ?

Did you use the straight one or the angled one ?

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
On the cement buy this , it will last forever Oatey 8 oz. Purple Primer and Rain-R-Shine Medium Blue PVC Cement Combo Pack 302312 - The Home Depot

Not sure what your asking about ID ??
OD ?? , I did not use a prefilter, with the intake rt behind the passengers head I am getting some pretty clean air. On the pvc, yes get three or four 90°'s and 45°'s and about 10 foot of 2" pipe. And yes the 2" x 2" fernco you listed is what I used. I had 2 of them. I dry fitted everything and marked everything with a black Sharpe pen on how it all lined up. Even the depth and angle of the 2" pvc into the 90's and 45's. Where the fernco 2x2 connects to where you cut the factory intake pipe off behind the driver seat, splice the inside of the 2x2 coupling a little as it's a tight fit over the factory pipe. Return whatever 90's and 45's you don't need to home depot for a refund. Enjoy the day! Happy 4th !

Hib

Hib

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2021
Far N.E. Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
On the cement buy this , it will last forever Oatey 8 oz. Purple Primer and Rain-R-Shine Medium Blue PVC Cement Combo Pack 302312 - The Home Depot

Not sure what your asking about ID ??
OD ?? , I did not use a prefilter, with the intake rt behind the passengers head I am getting some pretty clean air. On the pvc, yes get three or four 90°'s and 45°'s and about 10 foot of 2" pipe. And yes the 2" x 2" fernco you listed is what I used. I had 2 of them. I dry fitted everything and marked everything with a black Sharpe pen on how it all lined up. Even the depth and angle of the 2" pvc into the 90's and 45's. Where the fernco 2x2 connects to where you cut the factory intake pipe off behind the driver seat, splice the inside of the 2x2 coupling a little as it's a tight fit over the factory pipe. Return whatever 90's and 45's you don't need to home depot for a refund. Enjoy the day! Happy 4th !
Yes I have been talking about using the Unifilter and after running the 2 inch PVC to the passenger side and then running the PVC inside and under the roof and putting the Unifilter on the end to use as a prefilter .

The reason I asked you what the ID and the OD is because I Thought that you were Using the Snorkel to attach a Unifilter to use as a Pre filter .

And I asked about the ID and OD as a way to figure out which Unifilter you were using as they make quite a few different ones and I want to make sure that I get one of the right size to best fit the 2 inch Fernco and 2 inch PVC pipe.

Enjoy your 4th of July as well

Reactions: silvertrd09
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are you using a Unifilter as a Pre filter for the Dusty Conditions that I started this thread about ?

advertisement