L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hoping others here can offer a suggestions or feed back.

I have a 12' trailer. The rear wheels off the 700 are just past center by maybe 6 inches.
I am guessing that the tongue is pretty heavy but I don't know exactly what it is. (F150 doesn't look too bad but it is definitely front heavy.

I prefer to keep it simple and fast. I hate butchering up a trailer so been thinking about options.

Thinking about welding a couple of pieces of flat stock, vertically on the top rail and mill a slot about 24" total. But I need a good way to hold the cross tube in place. I have a horizontal slot where forward pressure should just press it forward and upward but I would like something more so it cannot fail.

It also gives us a place to throw the bicycles in since there are straps in the way.

thoughts, suggestions???
thanks in advance.
Trailer

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you pull up on your trailer you need to creep forward whiled you’re watching the rear of you truck start to squat, when it stops squatting, back up a little, that’s how I balance the load.

L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey thanks for the feedback.
I want the engine closer to being on top of the axle or just a little forward.
I could go weigh it but I don't think it's that big a deal.

I will find the center next time I load up and move forward about half way between center and where I am now and measure it. I am guessing 20 to 24" just guessing.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey thanks for the feedback.
I want the engine closer to being on top of the axle or just a little forward.
I could go weigh it but I don't think it's that big a deal.

I will find the center next time I load up and move forward about half way between center and where I am now and measure it. I am guessing 20 to 24" just guessing.
With the engine being located right under the seat that shouldn’t be a problem mine sits justba shade forward of the axle. Mine rides pretty good at this position, my trailer is 12’ as well.
43DC3A9E 5AD5 4E8B A426 1B671169E1E2

L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Russ,

You may be right, I might be over thinking it. But the dealer loaded it clear to the front with just 2 throw away straps wrapped around the the A arms.

It was just so much faster and simpler than what I have been going and it rode 3 hours just fine. I won't strap it to the a arms but darn that was simple and fast. I just thought it was a bit much for the tongue weight.

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Russ,

You may be right, I might be over thinking it. But the dealer loaded it clear to the front with just 2 throw away straps wrapped around the the A arms.

It was just so much faster and simpler than what I have been going and it rode 3 hours just fine. I won't strap it to the a arms but darn that was simple and fast. I just thought it was a bit much for the tongue weight.
NEVER load it all the way forward unless your hauling something behind it. Like when I haul my sons four wheeler.
E7C05979 E5E5 4B1F BDFD A3A241836BE5

L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Agreed. I will move it. It didn't come close to bottoming the truck but it definitely should be back.
Again, looking for simple ways to do it without long straps or carving up the new trailer.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use four load loops and two straps on mine.

Reactions: Tramguage1 and L2R
U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
My buddy made this. Used a set of car ramps to drive up and on it. He welded the extension together himself and just bolted it to the trailer. 79c667f50c67ca91475b9cbc15ae6502

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My buddy made this. Used a set of car ramps to drive up and on it. He welded the extension together himself and just bolted it to the trailer. View attachment 114088

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not bad, that’s some good problem solving.

Reactions: Mudwing
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
Agreed. I will move it. It didn't come close to bottoming the truck but it definitely should be back.
Again, looking for simple ways to do it without long straps or carving up the new trailer.
I just do it the way russ does when you haul different loads easy way to be good

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I was studying up building a trailer a while back and I think I came across something that said your tongue weight is supposed to be 10 or 15 percent of the total weight of the load. So I guess if you're hauling 1000 lbs you should have 100 to 150 lbs on the ball. You could figure out the total weight of your machine and get inventive with a bathroom scale under the tongue and figure out where the machine needs to be on the trailer according to the scale, then mark the trailer where your wheels are supposed to stop, or make a bump stop or something. Im sure it wouldnt have to be stopped precisely every time, as long as you were in the neighborhood. Things that could effect this though is if you haul the Pioneer empty one trip, then on the next trip you put a generator and an ice chest in the bed of the sxs or on the trailer. Im just thinking out loud. Whatever you come up with though post pics! :)

Reactions: Russ989 and Mudwing
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hoping others here can offer a suggestions or feed back.

I have a 12' trailer. The rear wheels off the 700 are just past center by maybe 6 inches.
I am guessing that the tongue is pretty heavy but I don't know exactly what it is. (F150 doesn't look too bad but it is definitely front heavy.

I prefer to keep it simple and fast. I hate butchering up a trailer so been thinking about options.

Thinking about welding a couple of pieces of flat stock, vertically on the top rail and mill a slot about 24" total. But I need a good way to hold the cross tube in place. I have a horizontal slot where forward pressure should just press it forward and upward but I would like something more so it cannot fail.

It also gives us a place to throw the bicycles in since there are straps in the way.

thoughts, suggestions???
thanks in advance.View attachment 113967

"forward pressure should just press it forward and upward"
Not sure what you mean by this.

Are you planning on the wheels pushing the bar forward? I'm thinking the lugs on the tires are going to grab the cross bar and try to climb it.
You could slide the bar all the way to the front, and once the SxS is parked where you think it is best loaded, you could slide the bar back to the tire.

" But I need a good way to hold the cross tube in place"
You can weld a nut inside each end of the bar to give you threads.

You gave me an idea. Some notches in the flat bar.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NEVER load it all the way forward unless your hauling something behind it. Like when I haul my sons four wheeler.
View attachment 114010
Different trailers have various tongue weight capacities, as do different trucks. With a heavy weight truck/trailer it would not matter if loaded all the way to front. On lighter trailers just watch the trailer 'movement' as you load it. The tongue with rise as you enter trailer, then start falling as you go past the axles. A little past being 'flat' is where I strap mine down, works fine.

L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
lots of posts for trailers floating around.
Posting this on the 700 forum. I finally got it made.
Oddly, the golf cart was the longest toy so had to start with it.
Now I can just pull up to the curb and know it is positioned correctly.

New pivot bar Pioneer full view

Reactions: Plumber32
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
How many tires on that thing do you go through a year? I never had any luck with a snowmobile trailer and a sxs.
I don’t really like hauling that way but it’s all I have to haul two machines. I pull that twice a year. I think those are the original tires. I’m working on picking up a new trailer.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I dont want a fixed point to load to, sometimes i just have the pioneer on the trailer and others its the pioneer and gear for riding for a day loaded into it so the weight is never the same. I always watch the rear of my truck, drive the pioneer forward til i see it squat a litlle and call it good.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!