P1000 Is it worth it?

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Talked to my dealer about buying a new P1000-3 EPS. He has reserved me one coming in a month from now for under 14k. I know this is a good price and that is OTD for me as I am tax exempt. He told me to put my p700-2 on craigslist as he can only give me 7k for it on a trade. He thinks I should be able to get 8k for it there.

Is it worth 6k to upgrade to the p1000? I primarily use it on my horse farm as a work vehicle and the p700 has been great these past 2 years. I am still working on all the pluses of the 1000 like 3 seats etc. Any advice would be helpful.

Reactions: Everett
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're using it for work, and you're happy with the 700, why would you consider upgrading? I have the 1000, and I love it, but I use it purely for pleasure riding with the family. I've never had a 700, but from what I understand they are excellent work horses.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had the 700 and now have the 1000. If you use it just for work stay with the 700. The 1000 is a utility SXS on steroids.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think those are the responses he was looking for.
He needs an excuse... LOL
lol, maybe so ghost, but +$6k is a substantial cost to upgrade from an already fully capable farm machine to another fully capable farm machine that also has awesome trail capabilities... there, I tried. :)

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Yes, I am looking for excuses to buy one. I am conservative, even though I have the money and can get a good deal I need to justify the expense. My 700 without power steering is not a problem for my wife so I can't use that. She also speeds around the farm so I don't need more power. I like the green of mine better than the red, white or orange of the 1000 and 900 bucks for camo is ridiculous. I will find some reason to buy one though because I like them.

Reactions: PioneerPete
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a tough one.
Yes, I am looking for excuses to buy one. I am conservative, even though I have the money and can get a good deal I need to justify the expense. My 700 without power steering is not a problem for my wife so I can't use that. She also speeds around the farm so I don't need more power. I like the green of mine better than the red, white or orange of the 1000 and 900 bucks for camo is ridiculous. I will find some reason to buy one though because I like them.
I listen to Clark Howard just to verify everything I do is as wrong as my wife tells me! You only live once! And it's way cheaper than a horse!

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the Honda green as well. Have it on my Rubicon 500 ATV. The silver color on the P1k is also pretty sweet. Its not too flashy and blends in well in the woods. If you're looking for a financial justification for the upgrade, you'll probably have a hard time with that. But there are PLENTY of other reasons to upgrade to the P1k. If the cost of the upgrade won't phase you financially, then it's probably just a matter of time before you pull the trigger. :D

B

Bornlzr

Nov 13, 2015
A justifiable reason - your 700 will be less valuable by tomorrow, even if the 1000's don't go up much over time the difference will still become greater not smaller. I sucked it up and sold my 700 with only 100 miles on it and after driving the 1000 for only 20 miles I completely forgot about having to right out the check for the difference. No regrets, just a bigger smile and although it's not perfect I feel it is closer to what I had always expected from Honda.

advertisement
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
O
I like the Honda green as well. Have it on my Rubicon 500 ATV. The silver color on the P1k is also pretty sweet. Its not too flashy and blends in well in the woods. If you're looking for a financial justification for the upgrade, you'll probably have a hard time with that. But there are PLENTY of other reasons to upgrade to the P1k. If the cost of the upgrade won't phase you financially, then it's probably just a matter of time before you pull the trigger. :D
Ok, if I can 8k for my 700 that is 83 dollar of depreciation a month over the last two years or 1k per year. I have 10k in her with roof and rear bumper. She is in good shape with 1200 miles. The new p1000-3 EPS will cost me 14500 otd with roof and bumper. I will probably do it as long I see no more of them burning out clutches. Thanks for the help guys.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
O

Ok, if I can 8k for my 700 that is 83 dollar of depreciation a month over the last two years or 1k per year. I have 10k in her with roof and rear bumper. She is in good shape with 1200 miles. The new p1000-3 EPS will cost me 14500 otd with roof and bumper. I will probably do it as long I see no more of them burning out clutches. Thanks for the help guys.
Hey look at it realistically, life is getting shorter, sorey, reality speaking. If money wise you can handle it, go for the 1000p. I drove the 700-4, not even close, get the 1000 deluxe and enjoy :)

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
There's no replacement for displacement. As they say.

After having two rigs with EPS I don't think I could ever go back to not having it. Those times with the front end locked or when you hit a rock and dong have the wheel jerk out of your hand makes it worth the upgrade for sure.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your looking for an excuse to get a 1000 you have already made up your mind that you want it you just don't realize it yet. Your already tax exempt so the difference you pay to up grade is more deprecation you can deduct each year to get your money back and not have to give it to the government.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Now that I got someone willing to pay me 8k for my p700-2. I am now wondering if I should take a chance on the p1000 since reading about clutch and noise issues. The p700 has been great so far, so I don't want problems. Decisions?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Now that I got someone willing to pay me 8k for my p700-2. I am now wondering if I should take a chance on the p1000 since reading about clutch and noise issues. The p700 has been great so far, so I don't want problems. Decisions?

If I were in your position, I would wait and see what is release for 2017. I know that could still be six months away, but I'd still wait-and-see

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get it if you wait the 700 is not going to be worth 8k anymore. You will be waiting forever to get one because any new vehicle you buy will have a quirk or two that needs to be worked out

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda's unwillingness to provide any statement on the clutch and computer/ground issues would give me reason to pause if I was you. I would wait until the QC and design issues are worked out, or at least until Honda explains what is going on.

rubicon05

rubicon05

Dec 24, 2015
Southern, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are leaning toward the 1000 I'd go for it. The chance that Honda is going to come out and tell us there is or was an issue is a fat chance in hell. Buy it and never look back!!

Reactions: sharp
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!