P1000 Is this old news or new news about clutch campaign?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Haven’t been paying too much attention to what’s going on around here so if this is already old news let me know.

Finally getting around to making an appointment for the clutch fix / new cover and the service manager informed me that proceeding with the campaign of replacing the cover is causing new and more issues than it’s worth?

That supposedly it’s not the larger hole in the cover that’s needed but in speaking with the Honda engineers they are starting to determine that it’s actually the velocity of the oil that’s causing the issues and most all are running 40 and they are now going to change it to 30 only.

That they are now recommending to those that are actually having issues with the clutch slipping to change to that weight oil and see if the problem goes away FIRST before proceeding with the work.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Havent heard that.
I would fight for the cover update.

In fact. Since the update campaign started. There have been very few reports of recurring issues that were not fault of the installer. Such as a cut/pinched seal or mis assembled parts.

I think most everyone is happy with the results and feel it made a difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was VERY leary of this information because he’s a multi brand dealer not specifically Honda and then when I asked him about fixing the water intake issue while he had it he was not familiar with it..

That’s very scary what you just said about the expert technicians making an error with misassembled parts!!!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
But I will say he spoke very authoritatively and very open and honestly and I didn’t pick up that he was trying to bulls*** me. And he said he has personally spoke with the Honda engineers concerning the issue which made him more believable!!!

I hate crap like this because it just makes me want to bring it to a different dealer now

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
But I will say he spoke very authoritatively and very open and honestly and I didn’t pick up that he was trying to bulls*** me. And he said he has personally spoke with the Honda engineers concerning the issue which made him more believable!!!

I hate crap like this because it just makes me want to bring it to a different dealer now
Get the new cover. It's worth it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Haven’t been paying too much attention to what’s going on around here so if this is already old news let me know.

Finally getting around to making an appointment for the clutch fix / new cover and the service manager informed me that proceeding with the campaign of replacing the cover is causing new and more issues than it’s worth?

That supposedly it’s not the larger hole in the cover that’s needed but in speaking with the Honda engineers they are starting to determine that it’s actually the velocity of the oil that’s causing the issues and most all are running 40 and they are now going to change it to 30 only.

That they are now recommending to those that are actually having issues with the clutch slipping to change to that weight oil and see if the problem goes away FIRST before proceeding with the work.
I have always ran the 30 WT, had two clutch failures before the cover, and the last clutch replacement, that makes me on my third set of clutches, bumping 1800 miles now, the last 1200 have been trouble free as far as clutches go.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have not read or heard of a clutch failure since the update.. did he try and sell you a different machine. I talk to another Honda dealer. Sounds like he may be too busy for the business.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

The guy is full of s***. You want the cover. I had it done on my first pioneer and it was a very noticeable difference. Find a Honda only dealer and get it done there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Genuine Honda 3 hrs away but looks like worth the drive.

Thinking I have it all figured out now as to REAL reason behind this story...

His techs aren’t skilled enough to do the work, which is why the last few they did had “new issues” pop up after replacing the clutch. That’s the downfall of trying to run a shop that’s sells every possible brand is finding a couple technicians that can work on all those brands when it’s hard enough to find a good one for one brand!!!

So MUST be that dumb Honda and their stupid update that’s causing all these new problems. Heck just tell them to use thinner oil, it’s the same thing anyway cuz more oil will flow through the existing holes and don’t need a larger one!!!!Stupid Honda making everything so hard to work on!!!

And manager either believes his technicians and not their lack of skill OR manager knows it and does not want to confront his techs at risk of losing them, but can’t possibly say that to his customers..

Either way it SURE explains his apprehensiveness in not wanting to touch the clutch and just replace the oil with 30 weight and say goodbye, as his attitude DID seem to turn on a dime and he got real nice and friendly and wordy with this fable when he asked me if was currently slipping and said yes.

I can see someone plotting in their heads now as how to deal with this dilemma and thinking thinner oil and a make-believe story about Honda engineers saying the update and clutch replacement is causing more problems down the road...yeah, that will work!!!! Send em down the road with that story, will keep them away for a good while...

And I thought he was just being super nice and spending 15 minutes with the long Honda engineer story because I was a new customer!

Thought it was also VERY suspicious that he, as a multi brand dealer is so “in-tune” with Honda issues and their engineers that they all “confer” together about a nationwide problem, yet was totally unaware of the water intake issue much less a kit to fix it!!!

That was my first sign something was amiss and lead me to post here asking what’s what.

Luckily it’s once again, Honda SXS to the rescue :) Thanks everyone!!!

And to THINK I’m not even having any problems with my clutch, just said that so would get a new one and they would all shut up...

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Genuine Honda 3 hrs away but looks like worth the drive.

Thinking I have it all figured out now as to REAL reason behind this story...

His techs aren’t skilled enough to do the work, which is why the last few they did had “new issues” pop up after replacing the clutch. That’s the downfall of trying to run a shop that’s sells every possible brand is finding a couple technicians that can work on all those brands when it’s hard enough to find a good one for one brand!!!

So MUST be that dumb Honda and their stupid update that’s causing all these new problems. Heck just tell them to use thinner oil, it’s the same thing anyway cuz more oil will flow through the existing holes and don’t need a larger one!!!!Stupid Honda making everything so hard to work on!!!

And manager either believes his technicians and not their lack of skill OR manager knows it and does not want to confront his techs at risk of losing them, but can’t possibly say that to his customers..

Either way it SURE explains his apprehensiveness in not wanting to touch the clutch and just replace the oil with 30 weight and say goodbye, as his attitude DID seem to turn on a dime and he got real nice and friendly and wordy with this fable when he asked me if was currently slipping and said yes.

I can see someone plotting in their heads now as how to deal with this dilemma and thinking thinner oil and a make-believe story about Honda engineers saying the update and clutch replacement is causing more problems down the road...yeah, that will work!!!! Send em down the road with that story, will keep them away for a good while...

And I thought he was just being super nice and spending 15 minutes with the long Honda engineer story because I was a new customer!

Thought it was also VERY suspicious that he, as a multi brand dealer is so “in-tune” with Honda issues and their engineers that they all “confer” together about a nationwide problem, yet was totally unaware of the water intake issue much less a kit to fix it!!!

That was my first sign something was amiss and lead me to post here asking what’s what.

Luckily it’s once again, Honda SXS to the rescue :) Thanks everyone!!!

And to THINK I’m not even having any problems with my clutch, just said that so would get a new one and they would all shut up...
^ nailed it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

advertisement
H

HondaTech

This has not been mention I any material or discussion that I've been a apart of. If you request the cover update and they try and talk you out of it again, then I'd get another dealer and make sure Honda is aware they are spreading this info. We used 40 weight oil in all of our units at the last dealer I worked for, new 1 uses 30 weight in everything.

I had 1 customer (who happens to be family of friend as well) who purchased a P1K from my old dealer and had the first service there with 10w-40 oil. We just recently did another service and all the recall/updates at my new job and the clutches looked fine. I cant remember how many miles he had on his unit, but igot t was over 1500 with the original clutch cover and original clutches. He never once complained of slipping or weird shifting and I test drove it after the service and it shifted perfectly.

So the 40 vs 30w can (IMO) be put to rest. If it were me, I'd run 30, since that's what Honda recommended since 2007.

As far as technician skill goes, I find most issues with the Pioneer line has been the lack of knowledge at large multi line dealers. I'm not putting down any brand or techs, but Hondas take a little more skill and knowledge to diagnose and repair. It's not as simple as replacing a belt, but honestly, if those guys cant install this clutch update I wouldn't let them touch anything else on my machine. There instructions are pretty clear and hard to screw up. Ive got all 4 recall/updates down to under 2 hours running and ready to pick up, but I've probably done close to 50 by now.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This has not been mention I any material or discussion that I've been a apart of. If you request the cover update and they try and talk you out of it again, then I'd get another dealer and make sure Honda is aware they are spreading this info. We used 40 weight oil in all of our units at the last dealer I worked for, new 1 uses 30 weight in everything.

I had 1 customer (who happens to be family of friend as well) who purchased a P1K from my old dealer and had the first service there with 10w-40 oil. We just recently did another service and all the recall/updates at my new job and the clutches looked fine. I cant remember how many miles he had on his unit, but igot t was over 1500 with the original clutch cover and original clutches. He never once complained of slipping or weird shifting and I test drove it after the service and it shifted perfectly.

So the 40 vs 30w can (IMO) be put to rest. If it were me, I'd run 30, since that's what Honda recommended since 2007.

As far as technician skill goes, I find most issues with the Pioneer line has been the lack of knowledge at large multi line dealers. I'm not putting down any brand or techs, but Hondas take a little more skill and knowledge to diagnose and repair. It's not as simple as replacing a belt, but honestly, if those guys cant install this clutch update I wouldn't let them touch anything else on my machine. There instructions are pretty clear and hard to screw up. Ive got all 4 recall/updates down to under 2 hours running and ready to pick up, but I've probably done close to 50 by now.
If your dealership wasn't so far away. I'd have you do all the updates/recalls on mine.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV

Check your owners manual,service books or online resources. Most Honda ATV's with wet clutch's used to run 10w40 up until fairly recently. Now most Honda atv's - sxs use 10w30. I buy 10w40 for my 2004 Rincon and 2005 Rancher 400 AT and 10w30 for the 2016 Pioneer.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Where's the oil dip stick? HA!

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fix really made mine a better shifting trans. Can't say anything about longevity because I waited until hunting season to get fix. Then wound up hunting basically in my back yard.

C

CJH

Sep 17, 2018
Black Hills, South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is a "Genuine" Honda dealer the same thing as a "Powerhouse" dealer?

My local multi-brand dealer has had some growing pains and staff turnover recently and even before reading this thread felt like I was getting the run-around about the clutch update for my 2016 1000-5.

I find three Powerhouse dealers within half a days drive of me. Is that what I need to be looking for?

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think a powerhouse dealer is a high volume dealer. My local dealer is a small shop that sells Honda and Kawasaki, great group of helpful folks.

H

HondaTech

Is a "Genuine" Honda dealer the same thing as a "Powerhouse" dealer?

My local multi-brand dealer has had some growing pains and staff turnover recently and even before reading this thread felt like I was getting the run-around about the clutch update for my 2016 1000-5.

I find three Powerhouse dealers within half a days drive of me. Is that what I need to be looking for?

Powerhouse dealers can only stock and sell Honda products. Meaning they have technicians who are very familiar with and trained to work on Hondas. I find they seem more interested in helpin Pioneer owners since that's the only SXS they sell and most likely service.

Reactions: Honda1000-5
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!