P1000 Jackal's P1000-5

Well just as well get this started off. For those of you that followed along on my Pioneer 500 build, I pretty much bought all my accessories before I even had the machine in hand and within 3 weeks of having it home it was all tricked out like I wanted.

Thanks to @HondaProKevin from Honda of Chattanooga I will pick up a Red Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe on 12/22 just before Christmas. :)

Stay tuned going to be a long and expensive 2 months. :D

Read more about this showcase item here...

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
the relay needed for the winch is is 100xs what a relay for lights are at any givin time a winch can draw 100s of amps a light 10ish

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here is a typical winch relay.
View attachment 56516

In this setup below the relay above is in top right corner of below picture. Note the heavy wires I previously mentioned.

View attachment 56517
Mine is very similar.The two open spade connections go to the controls
No relay needed, maybe a 10 amp fuse. Can wire direct to switches. Anything under 20 amp can go to quality rocker switches without a relay.
After I get it wired I think I will leave it outside and see if it catches fire. HA! If I get a light bar, I would think I would need a relay.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Mine is very similar.The two open spade connections go to the controls

After I get it wired I think I will leave it outside and see if it catches fire. HA! If I get a light bar, I would think I would need a relay.

Well a rule of thumb is if you smell plastic wire insulation burning, it's bad... :eek:

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for all the help, I think?
Just installed automatic fire suppression system, I think it would have made more since to pay some one to wire Rooster! HA!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
what all did you have to do to yours to go to 30s lift I seen how big and what bout clutches or gearing bout to order new ones for mine just curious
30's did not work out for me, if you continued reading I had issues and dropped back to 28x10x14 all the way around with just a strongmade lift kit. You can get 30's to work if you replace A arms that go 1.5" forward and back, just wasn't worth it to me.

Reactions: Windrock1000
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks!

One more question, can you send a photo from under the hood showing the double battery setup you mention in your garage? I think thats a good idea, especially with several electrical accessories, winch, etc. I'd like to have a look at the layout for reference, if i may.

That's a sweet ride, evolving into a one hellava Honda. I have to say, I really like the big hoops and lift!! Aarrrrr..

Has anyone thought of adding a "real" battery under the driver's seat? I'm thinking an Optima 12 volt truck battery would guarantee never having an issue. (Replaces little ATV battery)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Has anyone thought of adding a "real" battery under the driver's seat? I'm thinking an Optima 12 volt truck battery would guarantee never having an issue. (Replaces little ATV battery)

A few have dabbled in the big battery route under drivers seat.

advertisement
J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I decided to go ahead and try and alternative method of carrying a spare tire, jack, and fuel can by using the Honda bed extender accessory as a platform. The Kolpin bar just wasn't going to work out for me with anyone in back seats. The way I did it still leaves me room for a cooler, etc behind the back two seats.

Mounting, I used two, 2"x 5/16" x 4" Ubolts for the fuel mount and spare carrier with nylock nuts. To get things snug cut 1.25" plastic conduit sections to snap over bed extender tubing wrapping pieces in gorilla tape for grip and finish protection.
In addition to the Bed extender used the Quickshot verticle spare carrier with built-in jack. Got it from RMATV.COM here:
Pro Armor Quickshot Universal Tire and Accessory Vertical Mount | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
I also went with the 3 gal rotopax and quick mount also from RMATV.COM.

I mounted everything up and went for a shakedown ride everything stayed put and held up to rough terrain just fine. If you,want full access the bed extender still quick releases with everything still mounted, heavy but it works for me. Here is what the finished product looks like. I will mount my chainsaw on the left opposite of the rotopax, tired of being turned around by downed trees.
View attachment 20127 View attachment 20128
View attachment 20129
Do you still have your spare and rotopax mounted like this? If so, do you still like it and is it holding up well with rough riding? I really like this setup.

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Do you still have your spare and rotopax mounted like this? If so, do you still like it and is it holding up well with rough riding? I really like this setup.
The setup works fine, I did take it off though due to getting in the way of rocks where I ride and didn't like that much weight that far back.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@JACKAL, thank you SO much for taking the time to put this together. There is a ton of excellent information here. Very cool stuff in this thread.
Great reading for someone like me that's about to jump on the Pioneer wagon..
Thanks, It was fun doing everything and just thought at that early stage (28 months ago) would just document the progress. Everything I did was for a purpose not too many bells and whistles.

After 3000 miles have learned a lot and have developed different opinions of what I would change. I wouldn't bother with any lift, it's not needed and can cause CV joints to fail when in a bind in hard terrain. Also would not go to super heavy tires especially on the front, it just pounded the steering rack loose internally from hard running in rocky & rutted terrain. As a comparison I also have a 2018 LE that is 100% stock running exact same terrain with 1500 miles on it too. The LE has handled every type of difficult terrain with ease. I would only install a glass windshield that can be opened for ventilation in hot weather but closed for cold or wet conditions. Beyond that everything else has worked out as desired.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks, It was fun doing everything and just thought at that early stage (28 months ago) would just document the progress. Everything I did was for a purpose not too many bells and whistles.

After 3000 miles have learned a lot and have developed different opinions of what I would change. I wouldn't bother with any lift, it's not needed and can cause CV joints to fail when in a bind in hard terrain. Also would not go to super heavy tires especially on the front, it just pounded the steering rack loose internally from hard running in rocky & rutted terrain. As a comparison I also have a 2018 LE that is 100% stock running exact same terrain with 1500 miles on it too. The LE has handled every type of difficult terrain with ease. I would only install a glass windshield that can be opened for ventilation in hot weather but closed for cold or wet conditions. Beyond that everything else has worked out as desired.

The '18 1K3 LE is what I'm going to end up with.. are you still running the OE Bighorns on yours? I just can't see sticking with a 4 ply tire.. I have Moto Hammers on my Viking, and really like 'em. I know they are heavier, but the 8 ply toughness is nice peace of mind.

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The '18 1K3 LE is what I'm going to end up with.. are you still running the OE Bighorns on yours? I just can't see sticking with a 4 ply tire.. I have Moto Hammers on my Viking, and really like 'em. I know they are heavier, but the 8 ply toughness is nice peace of mind.
Still running OEM tires, I will replace them with 27x9x14 front and 27x11x14 rear Roctane XD 8 ply tires once I either cut, puncture, or wear these out. The OEM are actually only 25.5" and those 27" Roctane are 27.5" so they will still be 2" taller than current while not adding too much weight on front drive line and being tough.

Reactions: sharp and mjn
B

bucktaker

Aug 3, 2017
sw ohio/ETN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Are you saying that the Stock LE machine handles the same terrain as the modified machine, Skids, lift ,tires included???

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Are you saying that the Stock LE machine handles the same terrain as the modified machine, Skids, lift ,tires included???
Yes, that's what I am saying. You can modify a machine to excel for a specific purpose, while at the same time be making sacrifices in other areas. For all around general trail riding, even fairly difficult trails an OEM Pioneer 1000 is very capable as is. I still recommend the skids and even a more durable tire as long as you don'tget one super heavy in physical weight, but the lifts and tall tires negatively impact the center of gravity and longevity of items like CV joints, axles, tire rods, and steering rack.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!