P1000 Jackal's P1000-5

Well just as well get this started off. For those of you that followed along on my Pioneer 500 build, I pretty much bought all my accessories before I even had the machine in hand and within 3 weeks of having it home it was all tricked out like I wanted.

Thanks to @HondaProKevin from Honda of Chattanooga I will pick up a Red Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe on 12/22 just before Christmas. :)

Stay tuned going to be a long and expensive 2 months. :D

Read more about this showcase item here...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Are you sure it's not the rocks, ruts and stumps impacting your arms, tie rods and CVs? :rolleyes:
Probably more the speed at which I encounter the rocks ruts and stumps. Especially the poor tie rods. CVs just have been in a couple of tight spots, only busted 2 in 5500 miles, that's like 10 miles for @JTW.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes, that's what I am saying. You can modify a machine to excel for a specific purpose, while at the same time be making sacrifices in other areas. For all around general trail riding, even fairly difficult trails an OEM Pioneer 1000 is very capable as is. I still recommend the skids and even a more durable tire as long as you don'tget one super heavy in physical weight, but the lifts and tall tires negatively impact the center of gravity and longevity of items like CV joints, axles, tire rods, and steering rack.
I totally agree with the skids. Taller tires will have little effect on axels, ect. Not so keen on lifts, seen issues here. I think the non Fox stock shocks that come stock aren't capable of the weight of a winch, which the LE's have the Foxes which, this can be taken care of with spring adjustments. I really like my 29 3/4 inch tires, but had to do the A arm thing, which I like. And I'm not running A arm guards now, because of the additional clearance, no mud build up now, most every thing else is stock, except for, HA!

Reactions: TimG
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I totally agree with the skids. Taller tires will have little effect on axels, ect. Not so keen on lifts, seen issues here. I think the non Fox stock shocks that come stock aren't capable of the weight of a winch, which the LE's have the Foxes which, this can be taken care of with spring adjustments. I really like my 29 3/4 inch tires, but had to do the A arm thing, which I like. And I'm not running A arm guards now, because of the additional clearance, no mud build up now, most every thing else is stock, except for, HA!
It's not so much the diameter of the tire I am referring to, it's the weight that concerns me. Take the OEM tires at about 32 lbs each rear and 27 lbs each on front, then jump to tires at 44 pounds on all four corners. All that unsprung weight and rotational mass can make for less responsive starting and stopping as well as steering, albeit mitigated by the power steering components, but everything has to work harder including suspension responsiveness with the additional 58 pounds of weight spinning and thrashing about.

Same principle applies to everything, you don't see too many Olympic runners competing in gum boots.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's not so much the diameter of the tire I am referring to, it's the weight that concerns me. Take the OEM tires at about 32 lbs each rear and 27 lbs each on front, then jump to tires at 44 pounds on all four corners. All that unsprung weight and rotational mass can make for less responsive starting and stopping as well as steering, albeit mitigated by the power steering components, but everything has to work harder including suspension responsiveness with the additional 58 pounds of weight spinning and thrashing about.

Same principle applies to everything, you don't see too many Olympic runners competing in gum boots.
You are the first person on this site to bring up unsprung weight, besides me, Im impressed!

Reactions: TimG
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JACKAL im trying to find video of following you through fairly rough section. I did have less trouble getting through but end result was same. People that think they HAVE to modify the crap outta it to play hard are incorrect imo. The modding is part of the fun for me so i do it for that reason.

J

JTW

Probably more the speed at which I encounter the rocks ruts and stumps. Especially the poor tie rods. CVs just have been in a couple of tight spots, only busted 2 in 5500 miles, that's like 10 miles for @JTW.
2 stocks and 2 SATV’s to date... by your calculations I’ve only ridden 40 miles. That’s false and misleading! I get a solid 400 miles between breakage.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Use the skinny petal more helps!

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JACKAL im trying to find video of following you through fairly rough section. I did have less trouble getting through but end result was same. People that think they HAVE to modify the crap outta it to play hard are incorrect imo. The modding is part of the fun for me so i do it for that reason.

I’m bored now Delton. I can’t find anything I want to mode now. It is a perfect machine for me now.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I couldn’t agree more. I have no plans to lift my machine. I’ve been there with trucks, Jeeps, Blazers & others.
Lift increases the angle on the steering and axles, not to mention a higher center of gravity. Big, heavy tires suck power & add unsprung weight, creating additional wear on all suspension components.
I’m gonna stick with stock suspension, go to 28” Terrabites and if I get stuck... I have a winch. In the mean time, more of the power my motor makes will get to the ground.

It’s really just common sense.

B

bucktaker

Aug 3, 2017
sw ohio/ETN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, that's what I am saying. You can modify a machine to excel for a specific purpose, while at the same time be making sacrifices in other areas. For all around general trail riding, even fairly difficult trails an OEM Pioneer 1000 is very capable as is. I still recommend the skids and even a more durable tire as long as you don'tget one super heavy in physical weight, but the lifts and tall tires negatively impact the center of gravity and longevity of items like CV joints, axles, tire rods, and steering rack.

We have messaged before regarding riding tackett creek on a stock p1k5, shopping for a skid plate now to go on before i tackle that place, how did the LE do at Tackett Creek?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
2 stocks and 2 SATV’s to date... by your calculations I’ve only ridden 40 miles. That’s false and misleading! I get a solid 400 miles between breakage.
Sounds to me your a card carrying member of the Lesser Excursions club. You gotta bump them miles up, those are rookie numbers.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
We have messaged before regarding riding tackett creek on a stock p1k5, shopping for a skid plate now to go on before i tackle that place, how did the LE do at Tackett Creek?
I haven't taken it through the major amount of the hard trails there on the LE, just been hitting the outer markers trying to find the best way in. Usually riding by myself and its 33 miles from Tackett Creek Hells Canyon back to the house, this fat boy isn't risking having to walk. I would never recommend going in groups smaller than 3 machines.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol.. keep talking. It’s not a matter of “If” it’s “when”!
As for the angry driving.... yeah, prolly!

I may break an axel or CV at some point, I don’t care about it being a spectacle when I get up/over/down/around an obstacle and I’d rather spend my money on adds instead of replacements.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you didn’t care about it being a spectacle then why do you have Virbe?
1: Other people like to see themselves being the spectacles.
2: Shows people where we ride so it’s easier to convince them to join.
3: Use them diving
4: Use them as dash cameras for CYA.

G

Griggdaddy

Jan 21, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will be running STI Roctane XD 28 x 10 x 14 on all four corners mounted on STI HD3 14 x 7 rims with 6+1 offset, should put me down to 61" wide.

View attachment 35934 View attachment 35935
Hey Jackal, I am new to the site and was looking at upgrading my wheels. I have a new 2018 P1000-3 EPS with stock steel wheels. I want to get a set of wheels like you have or the ITP SS212's that will work with those stock tires. I see that you can get a set for around $300. I don't mind the smaller wheels and its much cheaper now to go with just wheels rather than a full set with tires. Besides these are brand new tires. Anyway will these wheels work with my stock tires? thanks!

Reactions: JACKAL and sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey Jackal, I am new to the site and was looking at upgrading my wheels. I have a new 2018 P1000-3 EPS with stock steel wheels. I want to get a set of wheels like you have or the ITP SS212's that will work with those stock tires. I see that you can get a set for around $300. I don't mind the smaller wheels and its much cheaper now to go with just wheels rather than a full set with tires. Besides these are brand new tires. Anyway will these wheels work with my stock tires? thanks!
Yes either set of wheels will work with OEM tires, recommend getting the 5+2 offset instead of 4+3. But either of those will work too.

Reactions: pct and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!