KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Alright guys… Let’s back to the subject at hand.. July Ride.

So where are we with this?
The where is settled; Windrock.

What date are we riding? we have mentioned the last weekend of this month 27, 28, 29, 30th. .. Anyone picked an exact date or dates?

PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
Alright guys… Let’s back to the subject at hand.. July Ride.

So where are we with this?
The where is settled; Windrock.

What date are we riding? we have mentioned the last weekend of this month 27, 28, 29, 30th. .. Anyone picked an exact date or dates?

I'd say Saturday (29th) for sure. Personally, I'd consider Friday and/or Sunday as well. Dunno yet.

We're flexible. Saturday would work best for us if its a one day ride but can accommodate Fri or Sun too. I'm also okay with a second day ride if you want, just need to know from what entrance are we starting (Oliver Springs, Rocky Top or Caryville) so we can make motel reservations. I've only entered thru the Oliver Springs before. If everyone wants to camp overnight on a 2-day ride we're game, just need to make plans. I have to say after a long day of riding a HOT shower and comfortable bed sounds good...:D

Can you still get a day pass to ride Windrock or how does that work now?

advertisement
KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Well becky changed her surgery to Aug 1st. I will definitely ride 1 day. Probably game for all 3.
Excellent! Looking forward to having you guys.. especially since you know your way around.
Need to check and make sure they are not doing some event that weekend. If they are, you probably don't want to come in from the main entrance/Oliver springs.
Checked their website ... Looks like they have a Jeep club (Summer Sizzler) there that weekend also. I will defer to you on where we should go in from.

PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
Thinking about the ride coming up. I've only trailer the P5 once, from the dealership to home. It had the OEM roof and Super ATV pop out windshield installed. I borrowed a trailer which was a tilt and the axle was centered so I backed it on and opened the windshield fully to tow it home. It was only a 30 mile drive home on back roads. Prolly never went over 55.

I've since purchased a non-tilt trailer with the axle set back so I can load the P5 forward which I prefer. I've installed a tusk rear dust panel since then and I'll be driving at higher speeds travelling to Windrock. I have a Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4 so the P5 sits quite a bit higher than the truck while on the trailer so it's going to get a full blast while rolling along at 60-65mph. Would it be best to open the windshield fully and lower the rear panel or keep the windshield closed with the rear panel lowered or keep the windshield closed and the rear panel intact? I think some of you have fixed windshields so I was curious.

Also......do most of you have annual passes to Windrock or just purchase day passes when going (I'd assume @TripleB has the annual pass). Was looking at the rates. For the wife and I about $60 for one day, $90 for 2 days and $232 for annual. Do you all ride Windrock much?

EGDZ4720

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Not a P5, but my P1K5 has the OEM roof and SATV flip-up windshield. I tow on an open trailer behind an F150 with the machine facing forward, windshield down and locked, and nothing on the sides or back except the factory nets (front only). Two trips to TN (1,100+ miles RT) and one to the northern lower peninsula in MI (430+ RT) in the past 3 months and zero issues.

I installed e-Track the entire length of the the trailer (under the center of the tires) and use Erickson adjustable wheel nets on all four tires. They are easier to install and remove, and much safer than standard ratchet straps, but not mandatory.

Unless there is something peculiar with trailering a P5 vs a P1K/5, I would do it exactly the same way if I owned a P5.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
After a few different set ups, I trailer mine with the windshield closed, and the rear panel vented. Your wind dynamics may be different.

Not sure about Windrock specific fees, I have the (annual) TN hunting license required to ride buggies there. They sometimes require a WMA hunting license as well to ride. Hoping the TN guys can shed some light on this. Also wondering about coolers and trail pops.

This will be my first time to Windrock, though I've been to the prison and to the train (during the annual Takeover trip to Royal Blue).

Looking forward to it!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Also wondering about coolers and trail pops.
I've not been to Windrock yet and I don't know all the specifics about the different trails and such, but this may or may not affect that area.

@JACKAL posted it just a few weeks ago.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Windrock is privately owned so your TWRA permits don't apply. We will be buying the 1 day passes, everybody in the buggy has to have one. I guess they are about $30 each. They don't allow trail pops at windrock and will check your cooler before you are allowed on the trail.

Last edited:
GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thinking about the ride coming up. I've only trailer the P5 once, from the dealership to home. It had the OEM roof and Super ATV pop out windshield installed. I borrowed a trailer which was a tilt and the axle was centered so I backed it on and opened the windshield fully to tow it home. It was only a 30 mile drive home on back roads. Prolly never went over 55.

I've since purchased a non-tilt trailer with the axle set back so I can load the P5 forward which I prefer. I've installed a tusk rear dust panel since then and I'll be driving at higher speeds travelling to Windrock. I have a Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4 so the P5 sits quite a bit higher than the truck while on the trailer so it's going to get a full blast while rolling along at 60-65mph. Would it be best to open the windshield fully and lower the rear panel or keep the windshield closed with the rear panel lowered or keep the windshield closed and the rear panel intact? I think some of you have fixed windshields so I was curious.

Also......do most of you have annual passes to Windrock or just purchase day passes when going (I'd assume @TripleB has the annual pass). Was looking at the rates. For the wife and I about $60 for one day, $90 for 2 days and $232 for annual. Do you all ride Windrock much?

View attachment 395562
I would definitely tow with the machine facing forward.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
As far as trailering we have the OEM roof with Super ATV pop up windshield and haven't had any problems (forward facing, windshield down, and latched). I have a back panel but I haven't installed it yet, but I did install a shower curtain as a back panel for the no snow snow ride this year, and surprisingly it actually traveled without problems.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 395562
I have the annual. I don't ride it as much as i would like but I still get my moneys worth.

advertisement