P1000 Jumping out of gear in low range?

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 16 P1000 just recently started jumping out of gear when in low range. It's only done it in first gear, its like it goes into neutral. Let off the throttle and it goes back in gear. I seldom use low range but have been using it more lately.

I called my dealer and made an appointment to have the throttle pedal recall done. I told him what it was doing and he said there were some dogs in the sub transmission that were wore out. This rig probably has less than 300 miles on it. It seems funny to me that the dogs can be wore out with so few miles and no more use that low range sees.

Anyone else had this issue?

Reactions: Plumber32
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Probably bent dogs. Sometimes the fork bends and starts doing exactly what you are experiencing. Don't know if replacement is beefier or the same, but fixes issue. Should be under warranty.

H

HondaTech

Gear dogs dont bend, the fork is what would be bent. The dogs get worn from slipping and that's what can cause the popping out of gear.

Have you ever had the clutch update done?

I've seen some 2016 models that would creep in gear and being that Low is the last gear you engage that's the one that is usually hard to get into if the unit is creeping. Alot of times a clutch relearn will cure the creeping.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 16 P1000 just recently started jumping out of gear when in low range. It's only done it in first gear, its like it goes into neutral. Let off the throttle and it goes back in gear. I seldom use low range but have been using it more lately.

I called my dealer and made an appointment to have the throttle pedal recall done. I told him what it was doing and he said there were some dogs in the sub transmission that were wore out. This rig probably has less than 300 miles on it. It seems funny to me that the dogs can be wore out with so few miles and no more use that low range sees.

Anyone else had this issue?
I would check your battery. A bad cell can really screw with them.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Gear dogs dont bend, the fork is what would be bent. The dogs get worn from slipping and that's what can cause the popping out of gear.

Have you ever had the clutch update done?

I've seen some 2016 models that would creep in gear and being that Low is the last gear you engage that's the one that is usually hard to get into if the unit is creeping. Alot of times a clutch relearn will cure the creeping.

Yes the clutch update has been done, it only pops out in low range. Ever since the muffler recall and under seat heat fix was done its been hard to shift between modes. I know none of that should have anything to do with how it shifts but something happened.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I took my Pioneer to the dealer this week. They replaced the accelerator pedal and adjusted all the cables. The cable adjustment fixed the mode indicator in the dash too. Before it indicated turf mode regardless what mode it was in.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!