P1000 Junk

K

Kyle13

Apr 2, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a 2016 pioneer 1000 back n December and have already burned 2 sets of clutches after the first set I bought portal gears for it to reduce stress on clutches and next ride burned them again next ride out bent both tie rods and broke a axle if u are wanting a machine to ride to the mail box and back would b a good one but if u plan on going to ride with friends on the weekend on trails don't recommend it

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bought a 2016 pioneer 1000 back n December and have already burned 2 sets of clutches after the first set I bought portal gears for it to reduce stress on clutches and next ride burned them again next ride out bent both tie rods and broke a axle if u are wanting a machine to ride to the mail box and back would b a good one but if u plan on going to ride with friends on the weekend on trails don't recommend it

Sorry about the troubles and welcome to the forum.

Looks like Honda didn't find the root problem when they replaced the clutches. It's probably a voltage issue causing issues with the solenoids.

How many miles on the rig?

What type of motor oil used?

(Delton) "I HATE light scratches too. Makes me think I left some fun on the table. So I go back out there and cover them up with deep scratches. Works every time lol."

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As for the tie rods and axle, those portals put a huge amount of stress on those parts. I'm not too surprised they gave way, especially if you ride it hard.

I'm over 1500 miles with 30" roctanes and ride hard and haven't had a clutch, tie rod, or axle issue. Give Honda a chance to fix the clutches right and see if they can restore your faith.

(Delton) "I HATE light scratches too. Makes me think I left some fun on the table. So I go back out there and cover them up with deep scratches. Works every time lol."

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One other question, do you have a lift or forward arms? Some people have extended the CV causing them to bind and break axles. I've been using steering stops to prevent the over extending.

K

Kyle13

Apr 2, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Looks like Honda didn't find the root problem when they replaced the clutches. It's probably a voltage issue causing issues with the solenoids.

220 miles on it all work has been done by Honda the recommended oil has been used I put the portals to reduce the stress on clutches I no it puts more stress on tie rods so there is a weak link either way u go

Reactions: CumminsPusher
K

Kyle13

Apr 2, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One other question, do you have a lift or forward arms? Some people have extended the CV causing them to bind and break axles. I've been using steering stops to prevent the over extending.

Yes I got forward control arms and it has the steer stops n it

K

Kyle13

Apr 2, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As for the tie rods and axle, those portals put a huge amount of stress on those parts. I'm not too surprised they gave way, especially if you ride it hard.

I'm over 1500 miles with 30" roctanes and ride hard and haven't had a clutch, tie rod, or axle issue. Give Honda a chance to fix the clutches right and see if they can restore your faith.

I even went to bkt tractor tires that r only 8 in wide to reduce stress

K

Kyle13

Apr 2, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

If they will come out with a fix for the clutches I'd be happy with the machine axles and tie rods that's just wear and tare I've always owned hondas and always were tuff as nails but am truly disappointed n the pioneer

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Post some pictures of the damage please. And if you don't mind tell us the type of Terran your riding on my guess deep mud and water. Your opinion is just your opinion maybe you got a lemon or maybe you can tear up any thing don't know. But I have put 1800 miles on my Honda pioneer 1000-5 with very little problems.
20170402 154907

K

Kyle13

Apr 2, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have already dropped it off at the Honda dealership as I have to just about every time I leave the park didn't take no pics we ride on trails and ther r places with mud water hasn't been a issue I have had it snorkeled out everything up to the roof never have got water n any part of it if u ever get stuck n mud don't try to gas on it go ahead and hook winch up and pull urself out cause even with 25% gear reduction with portals it doesn't have enough power to break the tires loose u will loose ur clutch first I had better luck with can am mavericks belts with a 1000cc motor u should b able to spin the tires no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have already dropped it off at the Honda dealership as I have to just about every time I leave the park didn't take no pics we ride on trails and ther r places with mud water hasn't been a issue I have had it snorkeled out everything up to the roof never have got water n any part of it if u ever get stuck n mud don't try to gas on it go ahead and hook winch up and pull urself out cause even with 25% gear reduction with portals it doesn't have enough power to break the tires loose u will loose ur clutch first I had better luck with can am mavericks belts with a 1000cc motor u should b able to spin the tires no problem

Sounds like there's an issue with the machine. I've got 30 inch tires and when I'm in the deep mud and stomp the throttle, if the tires don't spin the clutches will hold the engine back in the engine will die. I'm not sure if Honda is going to release a "fix" sounds like yours has a part failure or an assembly issue. Hopefully they can figure it out soon. BTW, the PCV will increase the low end torque. It has been great for me.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: sharp
L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Do you have dual batteries. If your diggin and winching with one battery, chances are the low voltage scenario is why you don't have tires spinning. And it will definitely cook the clutches.

K

Kyle13

Apr 2, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No only have one battery but I have only used my winch one time someone always hooks theirs to me

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No only have one battery but I have only used my winch one time someone always hooks theirs to me

When you have burnt the clutches in the past do you know what the current voltage was at?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

K

Kyle13

Apr 2, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No when u get stuck n a hole I don't check my voltage b 4 I try to get out Honda has said nothing to me about this all they tell me is the clutches they have n them is a bad design and they r in the process of comin out with a fix for it and in till then they will continue to replace them for free

Reactions: Hawk53 and popeye
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We need pics of your p1k to start to figure out the the problem and to see if it even exist.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow! That thing is a beast!

I'm surprised they warranty the clutches with that much lift and tire. Looks cool man.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!