P500 Kenda Bearclaw HTR

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
OK, just got the Kenda Bearclaw HTRs installed. Wow, night and day difference from stock. Got 26x9x12 front and 26x11x12 rear on stock wheels. Got them for $360 delivered and had wally world mount them up for $5/tire, thought about doing it myself for about 5 seconds, but this is a tough, stiff tire...not messing with it to save 20 bux.

They measure 26.25" actual height and front are 9", back are 10.5", running 7 psi. Overall rear width 50.5" and front width 49.5" I know this is important to me and for some people so wanted to give some good specs. Also, the front tires clear the frame corner with about .75" clearance, shouldnt be any issues there as I didnt want to cut the frame.

The gearing seems to be about right now, 1st is actually usable to get some wheel spin up the slick steep stuff...I went up a large bank near my house that the old tires would never get even halfway up even in 2nd gear wide open, just put it in 1st with these htrs and dropped the hammer, clawed right up. The ride is much better too, kinda surprised at that. There is some loss of power, but not dramatic.

I was toying with the idea of getting 26x9 for the rear but chickened out! I do like the look of the 26x11 on the back and it is a much beefier tire than the 26x9 on the front, figured I'm in 2wd most of the time so the rear tire takes a lot of the abuse. Here are some pics:
IMG 20160220 092959
IMG 20160220 093052
IMG 20160220 093029
IMG 20160220 092946

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
OK, just got the Kenda Bearclaw HTRs installed. Wow, night and day difference from stock. Got 26x9x12 front and 26x11x12 rear on stock wheels. Got them for $360 delivered and had wally world mount them up for $5/tire, thought about doing it myself for about 5 seconds, but this is a tough, stiff tire...not messing with it to save 20 bux.

They measure 26.25" actual height and front are 9", back are 10.5", running 7 psi. Overall rear width 50.5" and front width 49.5" I know this is important to me and for some people so wanted to give some good specs. Also, the front tires clear the frame corner with about .75" clearance, shouldnt be any issues there as I didnt want to cut the frame.

The gearing seems to be about right now, 1st is actually usable to get some wheel spin up the slick steep stuff...I went up a large bank near my house that the old tires would never get even halfway up even in 2nd gear wide open, just put it in 1st with these htrs and dropped the hammer, clawed right up. The ride is much better too, kinda surprised at that. There is some loss of power, but not dramatic.

I was toying with the idea of getting 26x9 for the rear but chickened out! I do like the look of the 26x11 on the back and it is a much beefier tire than the 26x9 on the front, figured I'm in 2wd most of the time so the rear tire takes a lot of the abuse. Here are some pics:View attachment 10640 View attachment 10641 View attachment 10642 View attachment 10643
Kool.....
badass.....

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I have them...best all around tires I have had on any machine...and they wear well...that's a plus! Enjoy!

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Thanks, thought I would show a quick comparison between stock and new tires for reference. Sometimes its hard to tell from pictures, but really changes the look of the machine.
IMG 20160220 111932
IMG 20160220 112002

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
I had 27" zillas on before I liked them but they made my machine fill tipsy on hills around my property. So I went with 25s for stability. But after seeing your 26s I might have to exercise the card 1 more time. I like the stance your has. Nice looking rig sthomp54.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
52" in front 53" in rear.
Thank you. See that's the deal killer for me when it comes to those nice looking wheels. I bought the P-500 to slip it in the bed of the pickup truck which might accept 51-1/2.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I was toying with the idea of getting 26x9 for the rear but chickened out! I do like the look of the 26x11 on the back and it is a much beefier tire than the 26x9 on the front, figured I'm in 2wd most of the time so the rear tire takes a lot of the abuse. Here are some pics:View attachment 10640 View attachment 10641 View attachment 10642 View attachment 10643
Nice light bar mount too btw!

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Nice light bar mount too btw!

Thanks, I liked it tucked up under the roof, but I do get some glare off the half windshield at night...was thinking about putting some window tint on the top lip of it to stop the glare.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well I was sure I was going with the bighorns, but now I'm thinking hard about these tires... the price is so good. Did you find them locally for that price? I can get a set for $375 delivered. My only concern is the 8 ply rating. One of the reasons I was going with Bighorn 2.0 is the good ride quality everyone reports. The other big issue is the weight of the tires. I am assuming the bighorn 2.0 tires are quite a bit lighter than the bear claws, with a smoother ride. The extra durability won't hurt, but I'm sure a 6 ply would be plenty tough for me on this machine... And it sure is nice that these wear well, since I run a lot of roads...

After owning them a while, do you think the ride quality is much improved over stock? Anything you don't like about these tires?

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Well I was sure I was going with the bighorns, but now I'm thinking hard about these tires... the price is so good. Did you find them locally for that price? I can get a set for $375 delivered. My only concern is the 8 ply rating. One of the reasons I was going with Bighorn 2.0 is the good ride quality everyone reports. The other big issue is the weight of the tires. I am assuming the bighorn 2.0 tires are quite a bit lighter than the bear claws, with a smoother ride. The extra durability won't hurt, but I'm sure a 6 ply would be plenty tough for me on this machine... And it sure is nice that these wear well, since I run a lot of roads...

After owning them a while, do you think the ride quality is much improved over stock? Anything you don't like about these tires?
They ride really smooth on the road even at 40mph. 100 times better than stock tires. No power steering 700 even turns better with the HTR's. Weight difference is minimal. The bear claw HTR are great i like them better than the big horn 2.0 anyday. Now the original big horns are a closer match to how good/tough the bear claws HTR are but not the 2.0's. The big horns are better at lateral controll but i think that is all. I would still buy the bear claw HTR over both big horns. Cheaper!!! and 8 ply just can't beat that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ehart814
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015

Scott prob has more experience with them since he did RRB. I havent been riding much with them. One thing I do notice is that that dig really well compared to stock, they tear the heck out the ground when climbing... I got them online and had em mounted local. You will not be disappointed in their performance.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Scott prob has more experience with them since he did RRB. I havent been riding much with them. One thing I do notice is that that dig really well compared to stock, they tear the heck out the ground when climbing... I got them online and had em mounted local. You will not be disappointed in their performance.

We I haven't heard any complaints about the 8 ply rating causing a rough ride, or the weight sapping power.

I climbed some gnarly hills last night with the stock pioneer 500. Lots of deep ruts from recent snowmelt and heavy rain... The trail never gets used because its so rough, rocky, and not even close to level in any direction. I thought for sure the ruts would have me hung up and tipped over, but somehow I made it up. It was bad enough that I went a different route after climbing because I was sure I'd roll trying to crawl down it. With a little taller and more aggressive tire like the HTR or Bighorns, I can't imagine what these little machines are capable of!

Reactions: scott
T

tex

May 3, 2016
arkansas
kenda bearclaw 25 inch ,moose hard roof, 3500 superwinch, horn kit, homemade rear basket, trailer hitch, doam light,

Reactions: groundhog
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I've seen them tires
throw softball size
rocks...... very aggressive
tire....

Reactions: scott
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Had them in some really deep and thick mud this past weekend and they surprised me. I could ease along in 4wd where I would have been hammering down spinning the stock tires before. I like being able to ease around and not cover me and the machine in mud!

Reactions: rocmar

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!