P500 Kenda Bearclaw HTR

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I will say this weekend is the first time I ever got a hole in the HTR's...with over 5000 miles on those tires (two different sets)...good size hole..was surprised considering the toughness of this tire!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I will say this weekend is the first time I ever got a hole in the HTR's...with over 5000 miles on those tires (two different sets)...good size hole..was surprised considering the toughness of this tire!
I'm still saving up for some new tires... I am considering 27" now. I didn't want to go too tall because I am worried about wearing out/breaking suspension components and wheel bearings. How many miles do you have with your Bearclaws?? Have you had any issues due to running such big tires? I have yet to hear of anyone having issues like this from bigger tires on the P500

I'm starting to think, if I'm going to spend all the money on new tires, I might as well spend a couple more dollars and get the 27's if they are better than 26's on this machine. I ride by myself a lot, through some really swampy areas. I need every advantage I can get to avoid getting stuck. It's a long walk home...

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm still saving up for some new tires... I am considering 27" now. I didn't want to go too tall because I am worried about wearing out/breaking suspension components and wheel bearings. How many miles do you have with your Bearclaws?? Have you had any issues due to running such big tires? I have yet to hear of anyone having issues like this from bigger tires on the P500

I'm starting to think, if I'm going to spend all the money on new tires, I might as well spend a couple more dollars and get the 27's if they are better than 26's on this machine. I ride by myself a lot, through some really swampy areas. I need every advantage I can get to avoid getting stuck. It's a long walk home...

Keep in mind...P5
already tippy...you said you ride by yourself
alot...
just a suggestion
Ride Safe

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
OK, just got the Kenda Bearclaw HTRs installed. Wow, night and day difference from stock. Got 26x9x12 front and 26x11x12 rear on stock wheels. Got them for $360 delivered and had wally world mount them up for $5/tire, thought about doing it myself for about 5 seconds, but this is a tough, stiff tire...not messing with it to save 20 bux.

They measure 26.25" actual height and front are 9", back are 10.5", running 7 psi. Overall rear width 50.5" and front width 49.5" I know this is important to me and for some people so wanted to give some good specs. Also, the front tires clear the frame corner with about .75" clearance, shouldnt be any issues there as I didnt want to cut the frame.

The gearing seems to be about right now, 1st is actually usable to get some wheel spin up the slick steep stuff...I went up a large bank near my house that the old tires would never get even halfway up even in 2nd gear wide open, just put it in 1st with these htrs and dropped the hammer, clawed right up. The ride is much better too, kinda surprised at that. There is some loss of power, but not dramatic.

I was toying with the idea of getting 26x9 for the rear but chickened out! I do like the look of the 26x11 on the back and it is a much beefier tire than the 26x9 on the front, figured I'm in 2wd most of the time so the rear tire takes a lot of the abuse. Here are some pics:View attachment 10640 View attachment 10641 View attachment 10642 View attachment 10643
Just curious, where did you get your HTR's? The Rocky Mountain ATV web site says they are no longer available.
I am seriously considering these tires but if they are not in production ...
Thanks,
Bill

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Just curious, where did you get your HTR's? The Rocky Mountain ATV web site says they are no longer available.
I am seriously considering these tires but if they are not in production ...
Thanks,
Bill

I got them from 2wheel.com. It was the lowest price I found at the time, but there are plenty of places that sell them, certainly not discontinued. Not sure what is going on with RMATV.

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
I got them from 2wheel.com. It was the lowest price I found at the time, but there are plenty of places that sell them, certainly not discontinued. Not sure what is going on with RMATV.

Thanks for the info. I have an email in to Rocky Mountain ATV. If I find anything out I will share it.

Reactions: Sledge and ehart814
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA

I have 2475 miles now and jacked it up to check suspension the other day...No play whatsoever anywhere..I started with Carlisle Black Rock tires (27) for the first 600 miles or so then switched to the HTR's..After having a RZR I am SO impressed with the toughness of this Honda...It WILL be a little tippier but I went with aftermarket rims that (5+2 offset) widen me a little so that helps...but does get me a little muddier..but I was never going to stay clean anyhow-LOL

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I think the higher you go with these, the wider you need to go. Machine is a bit tippy stock and to alter the width ratio any more would just make it worse. 26" 's and short spacers. I kept the fat tires in the back, looked more stable to me. Just my 2 cents.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks, I liked it tucked up under the roof, but I do get some glare off the half windshield at night...was thinking about putting some window tint on the top lip of it to stop the glare.
I thought about going with that higher half windshield, does it ever mess with your line of sight?

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I thought about going with that higher half windshield, does it ever mess with your line of sight?

no not really, but i am 6'2 if that helps. i did aim my light bar a little higher to get rid of the glare.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Scott prob has more experience with them since he did RRB. I havent been riding much with them. One thing I do notice is that that dig really well compared to stock, they tear the heck out the ground when climbing... I got them online and had em mounted local. You will not be disappointed in their performance.

Where did you buy your tires online??? Went for a ride last night and had to blaze a trail around a big swampy area because I wasn't confident I could make it through on the baby stock tires.....I really can't afford it but I don't think I can wait much longer to order some HTR's!!!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Where did you buy your tires online??? Went for a ride last night and had to blaze a trail around a big swampy area because I wasn't confident I could make it through on the baby stock tires.....I really can't afford it but I don't think I can wait much longer to order some HTR's!!!
Sorry, I missed your post about 2wheel.com I looked on there and didn't
Sorry I'm stupid... forgot you already said 2wheel.com They must have raised their prices because they cost much more than 90 a piece now. :(

Still looking for the best deal...

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So here is the best deal I have found...

4 Bear Claw HTR's 27x9x12
4 STI HD4 wheels
lug nuts, valve stems
mounted, ready to bolt on

$741.00 shipped

Reactions: p500fan
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Looks like they went up a little at 2wheel. They are $400-$10 first time buyer so $390. Still pretty good and they give you $20 to spend on another purchase...

4 STI HD4 wheels
lug nuts, valve stems

$741.00 shipped

whatcha waitin for?! Not sure about wheel prices as I used stock, but it will be nice to just bolt up and roll, plus you have some backup tires/wheels or sell them...

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015

4 STI HD4 wheels
lug nuts, valve stems

$741.00 shipped
Just curious, where did you find those prices?

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK

4 STI HD4 wheels
lug nuts, valve stems

$741.00 shipped[/QUOTEThat's very reasonable. My cost on (4) 27"x11"x14" Ripsaws with STI HD3 wheels ready to go was almost $1,100. (Over $200 shipping to AK) I'd jump on that deal.

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Just curious, where did you find those prices?
KJ Motorsports. They are the people on eBay that have like 9000 different wheel and tire packages. They don't offer this package, so I emailed them and they gave me a quote on what I wanted right away... I am going to wait until next week. I know someone that can get me tires for wholesale price - sometimes I can get a deal, but sometimes it's cheaper to order online. But if I would only save like $20, it won't be worth it because that price at KJ is mounted and ready to bolt on.

Reactions: trigger
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Doesn't sound like you got a bad deal though. 14" cost more, and the wider tires cost more too, plus shipping to AK. I think you did okay.

T

TucTan

Oct 7, 2015

26 x 11 x 12 Bearclaw HTR
12 x 7 (5+2) Black Steel
No Rub, great upgrade

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!