My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P

PNWGuy

I wear a helmet when I'm sitting on the dang couch!

HTWDjNYASnCD7uREhYtmbA

I don't wear a helmet when riding in the sxs. But I understand the choice of some to wear one due to the danger of hitting your head on the ROPS. When I rode motorcycles, I always wore a helmet. When my kids rode dirt bikes, they wore helmets.

When I rode ATVs, I never wore a helmet.

A good friend of the family was riding an ATV with his 3yr old granddaughter when they were going over a kelly hump and it flipped backwards and landed on the little girl, killing her instantly due to massive internal injuries. The family was devastated. That same man died last year when the ATV he was riding while logging flipped over on him and pinned him, killing him slowly by asphyxiation.

Big reason why I bought the Pioneer. Much, much safer than ATVs.

And this was a car accident I got into back in 2006.

Semi pulled out in front of me while I was doing 60mph on a hwy in Iowa. I saw it and ducked just in time. Still lost my left elbow and was knocked out for a few minutes...

0FA72c2LSQmgE0Q8ysNwxw

J

JTW

View attachment 137755

I don't wear a helmet when riding in the sxs. But I understand the choice of some to wear one due to the danger of hitting your head on the ROPS. When I rode motorcycles, I always wore a helmet. When my kids rode dirt bikes, they wore helmets.

A good friend of the family was riding an ATV with his 3yr old granddaughter when they were going over a kelly hump and it flipped backwards and landed on the little girl, killing her instantly due to massive internal injuries. The family was devastated. That same man died last year when the ATV he was riding while logging flipped over on him and pinned him, killing him slowly by asphyxiation.

Semi pulled out in front of me while I was doing 60mph on a hwy in Iowa. I saw it and ducked just in time. Still lost my left elbow and was knocked out for a few minutes...

View attachment 137757
What does losing you elbow look like?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

View attachment 137755

View attachment 137757
Holy crap you got lucky. So glad for that but I’m sorry about your arm

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That was a dumb decision on the adults part to give two small children a SxS

The 11yo now going to have to live with the mistake she was allowed make caused by a poor decision by adults.
It was a dumber decision by the adults not to teach safety and make sure kids were following it imo.
My daughter checks everyone’s belts and explains a couple
things to any passengers, probably much better then many adults. I trust her to make a safe decision more then most, I guess in part it’s how your children were raised

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Sometimes a tragic story can be used to help show others what can happen. I even have the habit of wearing a seat belt on my tractor with a ROPS. Lessons learned after years as a medic.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was a dumber decision by the adults not to teach safety and make sure kids were following it imo.
My daughter checks everyone’s belts and explains a couple
things to any passengers, probably much better then many adults. I trust her to make a safe decision more then most, I guess in part it’s how your children were raised

I know a lot of our kids have grown up around tools/guns/powersports and are a lot more familiar with all of the above as well as had safety beat into their heads. BUT don't know an 11yo I would trust with the machine that is listed in the article. It's too much for their decision making capabilities. Hell its too much for a lot of adults and thats an serious statement not me giving you any crap this go round.

The adults in this story made a list of mistakes but letting an 11yo drive it was the big one.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know a lot of our kids have grown up around tools/guns/powersports and are a lot more familiar with all of the above as well as had safety beat into their heads. BUT don't know an 11yo I would trust with the machine that is listed in the article. It's too much for their decision making capabilities. Hell its too much for a lot of adults and thats an serious statement not me giving you any crap this go round.

The adults in this story made a list of mistakes but letting an 11yo drive it was the big one.
I’d agree a little bit because choice of ride. But any time any kid gets into a rig they should have plenty of instruction and seat time with parents. A motorized vehicle shouldn’t be a babysitter.
Few years ago at the Airstrip not too far from where we just were a couple let their 12-13 yo daughter take out thier turbo RZR. They had just bought it and never had any experience with anything. While she was on the strip her parents were at camp just getting s***faced. She was doing well just tooling around then did some tight donuts and as her speed went up we knew, finally she hit a pothole sideways at about 30 doing those stupid donuts and went over. She tore her arm nearly off and shreaded it. Was in shock didn’t know anything so strangers brought her into the hospital because no service for miles. Cops came looking for their parents that 3 hours later weren’t looking for her. They found them but parents wanted to drive in, just minutes later they were arrested for dui.
Ya that type of parenting is crap. Some kids grow up around the sport and don’t do that stupid s*** because they learned better. Kids are usually fine if they’ve had instructions and lots of wheel time over the years. I know my daughter has known not to do stupid s*** and won’t go where she’s not comfortable taking a group, won’t let passengers con her into anything. All I’m saying is some kids are different. When you start taking them out at a few months old and you make it about them things are different. I’d trust my kids on any sxs. More so then most adults

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
i dont don my kids in a helmet. hell most the time i dont even buckle myself up. but its really determined by your riding. and the terrain. 700 isnt exactly a rock bouncer. all kids wear the seatbelt and the netting goes down on mine. 5 yrs and never been on its side let alone rolled. most my riding is done at <12 mph sometimes on trails which are basically roads where i ride peaking speed at 45 but i i put it my seat belt on after 20 on a road. all in all its just common sense. and your riding style and terrain. my daughter is more likely going to get a head injury falling down a set of steps than in my sxs.

Reactions: JTW and Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!