P1000 Lights, switches, electrical

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Also anyone got a link or suggestion for a connection to make my 12 Rock light wires connect to one? I have 6 only either side of the rig so I need to find something that I could use to make a 12 to one connection or two 6 to one connections and then a 2 to one connection.
Not sure which ones you have but my rock lights included wiring that made them hook together. I then only had one power and ground to hookup for all of the lights. If it didn't include that I would use a butt connector to connect all the power wires and ground wires down to one wire. I'd then run that to the fuse block. My rock lights require very little power, again I'm not sure which ones you are using.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
May be a dumb question but I'm completely new to wiring and just starting my diagram for my spread on my p1k. The guy who build and sold me the Pdm mentioned to just ground all my accessories to their respective mounting brackets on a portion of bare metal. Does that mean I only need a hot wire going to all the accessories and no negative(black) wire run back to the negative on the battery? Or is he referring to some accessories that have a dedicated ground? Take for example my sound bar and light bars. Do I only run the hot wire to the item and the rest to bare metal? Thanks for the help in advance. It would definitely save allot of wiring but I don't want to start and finish only to have nothing work and realize I have to snake 50% more wires in to get the job done.

I'm not a fan of chassis grounds as I've seen them cause problems. IMO a ground buss is much better, it'll take more wire to do the job but could prevent headaches down the road.

Reactions: PioneerPete and JTW
Skud7272

Skud7272

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2016
Cencal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need to order a fuse block. Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus & Cover : Fuse Block With Relay : Sports & Outdoors
You'll be able to narrow problems down easier and everything will have a fuse.

I actually just got a prewired Bussmann today in the mail so I have all the fuses and relays in a waterproof container wired and ready to go! Main concern was what to do with the negative wires.

Reactions: PioneerPete
Skud7272

Skud7272

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2016
Cencal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure which ones you have but my rock lights included wiring that made them hook together. I then only had one power and ground to hookup for all of the lights. If it didn't include that I would use a butt connector to connect all the power wires and ground wires down to one wire. I'd then run that to the fuse block. My rock lights require very little power, again I'm not sure which ones you are using.

I went with the LUX lighting systems. They came with a hookup box to connect all lights and run power to a switch but I'm upgrading to a Bussmann for a better waterproof system.

J

Jessie

Oct 19, 2016
Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Trying to figure out what size bolts hold the roof on
Mainly the upper corners right behind the front seats.
I don't have a roof but was thinking of using those holes to mount lights to.
So that brings me to my question metric or standard and size.
I assume there metric but we all know what happens when we ass-u-me.
Thanks

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 27466

I actually just got a prewired Bussmann today in the mail so I have all the fuses and relays in a waterproof container wired and ready to go! Main concern was what to do with the negative wires.
technically, you only have to run a hot wire from the switch to the accessory, and then ground the accessory on its bracket or to the chasis nearby. most of my accessories have a ground wire running to a bus under the hood, but my stereo is in the very back, and I only ran a hot wire to it... its grounded to one of the old net mounts up on top of the ROPS near the back.

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't mind admitting that I am a bit intimidated with the next phase of my project - electrical!

I know what I want to do and have purchased the Bussmann fuse/relay panel recommended by @JACKAL and it is very nice. I believe I'm going to mount it where the second battery was (moved it under the drivers seat). I also have one of the very nice switch panels provided by @mystic1219.

Not considering anything real sophisticated, thinking about powering and switching the following all separately: winch, 20" light bar on the bumper, two 2" POD's on the front, two 2" POD's on the rear, front interior light, rear interior light, volt meter, USB charge plug.

The panel mystic1219 supplied has cutouts for ten switches, two round holes and a 4 bolt Ram mount. I will be attaching my Garmin Zumo off the Ram mount, but it will be wired to the ignition through a fuse.

I need to select a switch brand and start making those purchases. Looks like good ole Amazon has me covered in that area. Been looking at lights, but have yet to make any purchases. I want to have everything I think I'm going to need on hand before starting.

It's on my mind this morning, because I have mostly installed all of the "stuff" I've purchased for the machine so far!
I feel ya, it was extremely intimidating for me also. I just got on here and started asking for help. Sounds like your doing exactly what I did. It wasn't that bad after I actually started.

P1000 - Jimmys Alaska build

Reactions: JTW and Manwell
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I feel ya, it was extremely intimidating for me also. I just got on here and started asking for help. Sounds like your doing exactly what I did. It wasn't that bad after I actually started.

P1000 - Jimmys Alaska build
I ended up putting the electrical project on hold for just a bit! I do need more light that's for sure, probably within the next few months.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!