P500 Lithium Batteries: Pros & Cons

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Hey guys! After hearing some negative comments, I have decided to ask more questions about power sources for my electrical system. Have any of you tried lithium batteries? What are your thoughts? I am impressed by the weight savings & smaller sizes, but have absolutely no experience with them. ANY advice would be helpful. Thanks!

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
the only reason I changed to the lithium battery was to save weight on my crf250l which was about 8 lbs I belive in saving ( those bikes are insanely heavy in stock trim) cranking power seemed the same and had no problem starting in the winter and yes I do ride my bike in the winter me personal wouldn't just change out your stock battery for a few lbs savings on the p5 now if you needed a new bat and had a few extra bucks to spend go for it wont hurt and hey every pounds counts( just not a reason to buy one on these) also do not buy one to run parallel with the stock on you never mix batter types

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
only con I can think of is they are all or nothing 100% or 0 no middle ground like slow cranking ect

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I was planning on moving the battery to up under the hood. I wanted a higher amp/hour battery to better run a winch, and to be able to jump other vehicles in an emergency. That's why I was looking at an Optima. I have found a 26 amp/hour lithium battery that is smaller (and much lighter) than the Optima, and am considering changing directions after reading your comments. How is vibration resistance? Can lithiums be mounted sideways? I've had no experience with them, & I want to know the "full scoop".

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
that's battery I run in my bike I like it a lot I just didn't know about the positioning of it

Reactions: p500fan
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!