Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
For the same coverage area as the SATV (does not include A-Arms), Ricochet has all aluminum 3/16" 5052-H32 Aluminum for $1050 or 3/16" Aluminum with 1/4" UHMW overlay for $1475.
The hybrid set is what @aprils_fool put on his P1K5, I went with Ricochet for the sole reason that, at the time, they were the only one who made a set that didn't use self-tappers or put extra holes in the frame. That was a definite deal breaker for me. I also went with alum because, IMO, it's better suited for where I ride most of the time, the UP of Mich. I did have a pretty good dent in one after last years trip to T.O. but a BFH took care of that when I got home.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just ordered my SuperATV skid this evening. I have the high lifter arms and the clearance is awesome. I would recommend getting the SuperATV ones. The tire size option and clearance is worth it.

Usmc3468

Usmc3468

Supporting Member
Mar 21, 2021
Greenwood, Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got my SATV skid plate and I am currently installing it. There are a few issues with the holes lining up that has caused me lots of frustration. The most notable is the middle bracket has to be elongated to reach both holes. Now I am dealing with all the self tapping screws.... I feel like I am turning the underneth into swiss cheese. Lol Either way it is a solid unit I just wish is utilized more of the stock holes.

Reactions: Scoop and Coeus
B

BlownCJ

Oct 23, 2021
Northwest Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got my SATV skid plate and I am currently installing it. There are a few issues with the holes lining up that has caused me lots of frustration. The most notable is the middle bracket has to be elongated to reach both holes. Now I am dealing with all the self tapping screws.... I feel like I am turning the underneth into swiss cheese. Lol Either way it is a solid unit I just wish is utilized more of the stock holes.
Semper Fi brother.

I ordered mine too and think if there is room I am going to use riv nuts and their washers with tractor supply grade 8 hardware and lock washers. Grade 8 stuff from tractor supply is sold by the pound so you dont feel like you getting butt*****ed

B

SH21

SH21

Mar 18, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone who has or had the SATV skid plate care to comment? Would you do it again? What did or didn't you like about it?
I have the SATV skid plate, and I would do it again.

Install was straight forward, some existing bolt holes are used while others/new ones are self tappers. I did predrill the self tappers first to make installation while holding the skid up with the other hand easier. Took two of us less than half a day, with beer breaks, to install.

Bounced off a rock this weekend while riding and the machine and skid plate are now worse for wear. Honda should be ashamed of themselves to call what is put on from the factory a skid plate.

Reactions: Scoop and SuperATV
Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Semper Fi brother.

I ordered mine too and think if there is room I am going to use riv nuts and their washers with tractor supply grade 8 hardware and lock washers. Grade 8 stuff from tractor supply is sold by the pound so you dont feel like you getting butt*****ed

B
Let me know how that works out… received mine and that is in the list for sometime this year

Reactions: Usmc3468 and Scoop
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you leave everything loose so you can line it up and pre drill the self tappers.

Reactions: Scoop and SuperATV
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would think rivet nuts would be the way to go. Much stronger, cleaner, and easier to fix if damaged than self tapping screws. If you don't already have a rivnut tool. $50 gets this set with an extensive selection of mandrels:

I used it to attach my upper light bar brackets.

20210804 222122
20210804 220255

advertisement
Usmc3468

Usmc3468

Supporting Member
Mar 21, 2021
Greenwood, Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I finally got mine installed. That was definitely harder then I thought. I was not able to lay mine on it’s side so I put it up on ramps. I did end up stripping one self tap hole so I’ll need to get a bigger screw maybe. I do like how thick it is but for the price I wish it had a better fastening system. I have several SATV parts and this is the only one I am less then impressed with. I worry these screws will work loose over time. I will definitely look at the rivnut idea once my arms regain feeling. Lol

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Well I finally got mine installed. That was definitely harder then I thought. I was not able to lay mine on it’s side so I put it up on ramps. I did end up stripping one self tap hole so I’ll need to get a bigger screw maybe. I do like how thick it is but for the price I wish it had a better fastening system. I have several SATV parts and this is the only one I am less then impressed with. I worry these screws will work loose over time. I will definitely look at the rivnut idea once my arms regain feeling. Lol
I think the self tappers will be interesting for those that drop their skids for oil changes… I think that is my worry…

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed mine just as it sits, pre drilling made a big diff I think but all of the skid plates pretty much use self tapping screws.

Overall they have held just fine but i’ve also considered rivet nuts but so far haven’t lost a single bolt either.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
I installed mine just as it sits, pre drilling made a big diff I think but all of the skid plates pretty much use self tapping screws.

Overall they have held just fine but i’ve also considered rivet nuts but so far haven’t lost a single bolt either.
Have you tried to remove the skid at all?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The Trail Armor skids use some self-tapping screws, but they also use a good number of the factory bolts.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

Ricochet has a 15% off Black Friday sale on orders over $150, their skids don't use self tapping screws, either factory holes or clamps.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!