Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I bet he didn't expect the responses he got.

I'd like to know, Sammy or Dave?

Took this out of another thread so's not to derail any more than it already has. It's a better conversation IMO anyway.
Sammy was a better singer but the question is was the band better before or after. I think Dave's lyrics were edgier, Sam's more generic and mainstream. Eddie was more creative on guitar early but grew as an overall musician as time went on. Bands always go more mainstream the older they get bc record companies push them to record what sells. Perfect example is Def Leppard, early stuff was raw and edgy and I think they peaked on Pyromania but many would argue that it was Hysteria. I'm sure sales were better for Hysteria but that's when they sold out IMO, catering to 13 yr old girls with Pour Some Sugar On Me. :rolleyes:
You could have this conversation about a lot of bands that changed singers though...
Bon or Brian - AC/DC
Ozzy or Ronny - Black Sabbath
Ian, Ronny or Joe Lynn - Rainbow
Zack or Chris - Rage/Audio Slave

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Took this out of another thread so's not to derail any more than it already has. It's a better conversation IMO anyway.
Sammy was a better singer but the question is was the band better before or after. I think Dave's lyrics were edgier, Sam's more generic and mainstream. Eddie was more creative on guitar early but grew as an overall musician as time went on. Bands always go more mainstream the older they get bc record companies push them to record what sells. Perfect example is Def Leppard, early stuff was raw and edgy and I think they peaked on Pyromania but many would argue that it was Hysteria. I'm sure sales were better for Hysteria but that's when they sold out IMO, catering to 13 yr old girls with Pour Some Sugar On Me. :rolleyes:
You could have this conversation about a lot of bands that changed singers though...
Bon or Brian - AC/DC
Ozzy or Ronny - Black Sabbath
Ian, Ronny or Joe Lynn - Rainbow
Zack or Chris - Rage/Audio Slave
Absolutely, happens with most bands and that what Dave was constantly fighting against. Ed wanted to bring in song writers, I think the same ones that worked with Bon Jovi. As Dave put it "it's like giving VH syphilis". Dave wrote a book called "Crazy From The Heat", if you are interested it will give you an insight into how he made VH what it was. Without him it was just ehh.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Absolutely, happens with most bands and that what Dave was constantly fighting against. Ed wanted to bring in song writers, I think the same ones that worked with Bon Jovi. As Dave put it "it's like giving VH syphilis". Dave wrote a book called "Crazy From The Heat", if you are interested it will give you an insight into how he made VH what it was. Without him it was just ehh.

Took your advice and listened to the audio book on YT. Interesting some of the steps he took to expose the band early on and things he did to keep them together. He was definitely more involved than many give him credit for.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Took your advice and listened to the audio book on YT. Interesting some of the steps he took to expose the band early on and things he did to keep them together. He was definitely more involved than many give him credit for.
I love the story about the mafia and the t-shirts, good stuff.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Try listining or reading Running with the Devil by Nole Monk the bands manager from 78’-85’ much better proven insite than Daves book That I have read. Dave is a rambler and veers away from truth alot in his book. Still a good read but alot of it has been debunked by members of the band and others around them.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Try listining or reading Running with the Devil by Nole Monk the bands manager from 78’-85’ much better proven insite than Daves book That I have read. Dave is a rambler and veers away from truth alot in his book. Still a good read but alot of it has been debunked by members of the band and others around them.
There is always 3 sides to a story.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
There is always 3 sides to a story.
Dave is my favorite. Although i like them all. I follow them very closely pretty much on a daily basis like a Beatles head or a Zeppelin head does to there respected band digging up stuff never heard before like bootlegs and vidgeas. I have tons of books books 6 bootlegs and lord knows how many vintage posters of the band And original vinyl right down to my phone protector lol. There the most interesting non communicating popular band with more drama than carter has liver pils lol. Thats what makes them so dam interesting.

Im such a fanatic that playing the guitar since 10 my rig has consisted in VH stuff. From the original Peavy 5150 1/2 stack I once owned back in 95’ and still own the original Peavy wolf gang guitar I bought new in 97’ to the new EVH line. Ask @trigger hes seen it in person 🤣
#POIDH ok here we go….lol
this aint 1/2 of it.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Dave is my favorite. Although i like them all. I follow them very closely pretty much on a daily basis like a Beatles head or a Zeppelin head does to there respected band digging up stuff never heard before like bootlegs and vidgeas. I have tons of books books 6 bootlegs and lord knows how many vintage posters of the band And original vinyl right down to my phone protector lol. There the most interesting non communicating popular band with more drama than carter has liver pils lol. Thats what makes them so dam interesting.

Im such a fanatic that playing the guitar since 10 my rig has consisted in VH stuff. From the original Peavy 5150 1/2 stack I once owned back in 95’ and still own the original Peavy wolf gang guitar I bought new in 97’ to the new EVH line. Ask @trigger hes seen it in person 🤣
#POIDH ok here we go….lol
this aint 1/2 of it.
View attachment 341903
Nice, I have some EVH stuff too but not that much. I have the 50w head but not the stealth, the original with the 6L6. Great amp.

And I do have a Peavey Wolfgang Goldtop Standard with a maple cap. One of the few guitars I bought new.

WP 20170724 002

WP 20170724 003

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Nice, I have some EVH stuff too but not that much. I have the 50w head but not the stealth, the original with the 6L6. Great amp.

And I do have a Peavey Wolfgang Goldtop Standard with a maple cap. One of the few guitars I bought new.

View attachment 341920
Thats nice! The gold and the black studio are the more rare. That Peavy Gig bag i bought with mine is reare as well. When i got that, there was a 5150 hockey shirt as a “promotion“ to select dealers from Peavey and was located in the front window. The owner was so amazed at what I did to make the trip with that amount of cash in 97’ to buy that guitar and gig bag that he gave me that Jersey. Ive looked for years and years to find another even not for sale and havent but one a few yrs ago on Ebay. It was going for $600. Not getting ride if mine and I hardly ware it lol.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thats nice! The gold and the black studio are the more rare. That Peavy Gig bag i bought with mine is reare as well. When i got that, there was a 5150 hockey shirt as a “promotion“ to select dealers from Peavey and was located in the front window. The owner was so amazed at what I did to make the trip with that amount of cash in 97’ to buy that guitar and gig bag that he gave me that Jersey. Ive looked for years and years to find another even not for sale and havent but one a few yrs ago on Ebay. It was going for $600. Not getting ride if mine and I hardly ware it lol.
View attachment 341922View attachment 341923
Wow, never seen one of those. Very cool.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Speaking of Sammy, Got this pic also at PineKnob in 99’
we got some VIP pass when I was at Roush with a co worker at the time. we had one of Ted’s Bronco’s at the time at one of our shops for motor work. All we had was Nextel‘s then lol so he had a camera and took this pic. If we had a printer, i would have had it signed. But i was able to make a print of it from his camera to a personal color printer at the time. Not the greatest but rare none the less. Im sure there are more form the few others that were there taking that pic as well. All of the guys were nice and great. Love me some Uncle Ted.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!