P1000 My thoughts after a month

J

JTW

Yea I haven't floored it yet either, doesn't seem like the stock tires would be up to it? So how is it more unnerving than riding a bike and punching it? Explain please.
I can't say how non deluxe tires are but I'm running 65 comfortably on the bighorns at 10psi. I need to check my alignment but just eyeballing, it looks good. That could explain the hairy feeling some get. I will say you do have to pay attention (more than in a car) but then again you should.

Reactions: moparornocar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm not getting any "hairy feeling" out of the machine itself, but out of thinking about what things would be like in a crash at 60-65 in a Honda pioneer with its non existent protections that even automobiles of 4 decades ago had. It's just a completely unnecessary risk to me, speaking for myself exclusively.

J

JTW

I'm not getting any "hairy feeling" out of the machine itself, but out of thinking about what things would be like in a crash at 60-65 in a Honda pioneer with its non existent protections that even automobiles of 4 decades ago had. It's just a completely unnecessary risk to me, speaking for myself exclusively.
From the looks of this... 35, 55 or 65 it won't matter.
IMG 2439

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't believe I'm interested in 60 mph without far more protection then the Pioneer can provide, and certainly will not be pulling an Osprey around at 60 mph.
Lol, I don't imagine we will be seeing those speeds with any regularity. I'm sure I'll be creeping up there now and again just to dip my toe in the water and see how she does.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Lol, I don't imagine we will be seeing those speeds with any regularity. I'm sure I'll be creeping up there now and again just to dip my toe in the water and see how she does.
Haha. I'll hold your beer and watch.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's nice, but I was referring to a crash in my P1K.

They're developed by a automotive company in the same R&D facility...Can't say for sure but you'd think they might have put one on a crash test rig...not like a $18k SXS even compares to a $180k NSX, probably costs more to run the test itself. Note sure how safety would compare to a car at 60 though

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They're developed by a automotive company in the same R&D facility...Can't say for sure but you'd think they might have put one on a crash test rig...not like a $18k SXS even compares to a $180k NSX, probably costs more to run the test itself. Note sure how safety would compare to a car at 60 though
Hadn't thought of that, but if you look at them they do have a crumple zone of sorts.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't want to crash mine at 30 let alone 60 mph. IMO even with the seat belt (which is minimal) a person would be seriously injured, especially without a helmet.

Early last fall my wife and I were going somewhere and saw a RZR 1000 on a roll back that was almost destroyed. I remarked to my wife that I hoped whoever was in it was wearing a harness and helmet. Otherwise I don't see how they could've survived.

Reactions: JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The P1K is comfortable. The drive is more like a truck. I love the Honda windshield fit. I like the dump bed release being in the cab. It's power is a lot of fun I can see. The twin cylinder engine is really cool, and very tight, quiet. The bed walls and tailgate are a bit delicate for the typical ranch work I do, and when climbing steep terrain just creeping, I get a lot of clutch chatter.
Are you sure it's not your wife teeth?

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes.. and considering this is what a car looks like in a 40mph crash.. it won't matter in the p1000 if you're doing 40 or 60mph.. you're screwed either way!!
Point being, the faster one go's the worse the impact, that's just physics. So I haven't the interest in 60 in my P1K.

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My P1k5 handles the paved two lane twisties in SW Missouri at 60mph better than my truck. Setting the tow in carefully had a lot to do with that.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It don't matter.. dead is dead!

"Point!"
I can't make you see the difference. Not that it matters, it's ok I think if I choose not to drive my sxs which has none of the protections built into cars at 60. And fine if you choose to do otherwise.

J

JTW

I can't make you see the difference. Not that it matters, it's ok I think if I choose not to drive my sxs which has none of the protections built into cars at 60. And fine if you choose to do otherwise.
I get that and it's fine... my whole point was spinning off of what you had already said. It's not as safe as a car.. I post a picture of a car test crash at slower speeds.. it was destroyed.. soooo my point was if a car looks like that at a slower speed crash the Honda will be worse.. hence it doesn't matter if you're going 40 or 60 if you have a bad crash like that... dead is dead

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!