Need nav help.

H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
I am trying to look into nav but I am confused. It seems that some parks have maps available that you can download. How do I use These? My wife has an older Garmin can I somehow load those maps to it and use or do I use them in some app on my phone? I have tried to read but all I get is use this tablet and this app but there isn't much that talks about how to actually use any on if. Guess I need an off-road nav for dummies course. Any help would b3 greatly appreciated. Also plan to do a rearview camera that may tie in depending which way I go. Thanks guys.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The most complete free phone or tablet app I have found is the Polaris Ride Command it has offline maps and you can create and track members of your group within a few miles of each other. Make sure it isn't set to snow mobile trails and live in the south I had mine set to snow mobile for the life of me could not figure out how I lost my local trails until I realized it was set to snow mobile instead of ATV trails.

Reactions: Backwoods and sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am trying to look into nav but I am confused. It seems that some parks have maps available that you can download. How do I use These? My wife has an older Garmin can I somehow load those maps to it and use or do I use them in some app on my phone? I have tried to read but all I get is use this tablet and this app but there isn't much that talks about how to actually use any on if. Guess I need an off-road nav for dummies course. Any help would b3 greatly appreciated. Also plan to do a rearview camera that may tie in depending which way I go. Thanks guys.

Unfortunately there is no all encompassing turn key solution in the marketplace right now. There are a lot of different (mostly crowdsourced) solutions that shine in different trail systems/areas of the country.

Www.lifetimetrailmaps.com (as @sharp ) mentioned above is probably the most turn key solution I have experienced - definitely if you ride in TN area or frequent any of the trail systems they currently have maps for.
Their maps are color coded by difficulty (which is nice) They also offer video tutorials and tech support - which is very helpful - If you are not in an area where they currently have mapped you can still use their App to record and track where you are going.​

Polaris ride command - I have used before but it seems lacking in the completeness of trails they have (at least in the areas I have used it). The nice thing is if riding with a group and you all have cell service you can set it up where you see each others positions on the map.
Map are crowd sourced as far as I know but trail systems can upload their maps to the database​

Maplets - I have had good success with Maplets - you download the program and search for the trail system you want to ride. Basically if they have the map it will show you where you are on the map.

Avensa - Similar to maplets but i find a little more accurate as people can build maps and sell them on the Avensa marketplace.

Also there are more regional maps - like the one that @Remington mentions above that can be loaded into your GPS of choice. as well as some systems that are out like TRX7 by Magellan

If you find yourself in an area where there are not a lot of maps available and you have a tablet or phone their are a few apps to check out
Above does not touch all avialable out there -

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Unfortunately there is no all encompassing turn key solution in the marketplace right now. There are a lot of different (mostly crowdsourced) solutions that shine in different trail systems/areas of the country.

Www.lifetimetrailmaps.com (as @sharp ) mentioned above is probably the most turn key solution I have experienced - definitely if you ride in TN area or frequent any of the trail systems they currently have maps for.
Their maps are color coded by difficulty (which is nice) They also offer video tutorials and tech support - which is very helpful - If you are not in an area where they currently have mapped you can still use their App to record and track where you are going.​

Polaris ride command - I have used before but it seems lacking in the completeness of trails they have (at least in the areas I have used it). The nice thing is if riding with a group and you all have cell service you can set it up where you see each others positions on the map.
Map are crowd sourced as far as I know but trail systems can upload their maps to the database​

Maplets - I have had good success with Maplets - you download the program and search for the trail system you want to ride. Basically if they have the map it will show you where you are on the map.

Avensa - Similar to maplets but i find a little more accurate as people can build maps and sell them on the Avensa marketplace.

Also there are more regional maps - like the one that @Remington mentions above that can be loaded into your GPS of choice. as well as some systems that are out like TRX7 by Magellan

If you find yourself in an area where there are not a lot of maps available and you have a tablet or phone their are a few apps to check out
That is some fantastic info there and well detailed. Just about sums it up.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sorry for my beginner questions but how do you load maps does it take special software?
If your using the VVMAPPING he will send you an SD card and in the back of every Garmin there is a micro SD card slot. Just insert it there and follow the simple instructions he sends you and your good to go.

Maplets that i also use on a tablet, that’s a free app. When you open the map, there is a search that you can search any area for a map and then you have that area. Your gps on your tablet will then pick you up on the map of that area. Hope that helps.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I want to add I met someone using Gaia this past weekend on an iPad and it looked slick - I don't know about availability of maps but the given the OS is so much smoother with iPad than Android is with their tables it might be worth a look.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I want to add I met someone using Gaia this past weekend on an iPad and it looked slick - I don't know about availability of maps but the given the OS is so much smoother with iPad than Android is with their tables it might be worth a look.
I'm using Gaia on the Amazon Fire tablet... the premium membership has lots of map/layer options. You can't download maps like you can on maprika... when you choose the 'download' option in Gaia, it gives an option to size an area on the map you're looking at which you can save that portion of the map. You can supposedly 'build' your own map but you have to use a program like mapbox, etc. to create it.

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!