New 1000-5 Deluxe, need some direction

U

UtahMountainMan

Jun 29, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys new member and Pioneer 1000-5 owner here from Spanish Fork, Utah. After a couple of years of wanting to make the switch I finally sold my Viking 700 and ordered a new Pioneer 1000-5 deluxe in white. I've always loved Honda everything and this machine already feels like such an upgrade to me!

Quick intro on me, Im 40 years old, my wife and I have 4 boys ages 8 to 15. We love the outdoors, we are avid deer and elk hunters, and I typically try to get a good archery elk hunt every fall somewhere in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, CO, or NM. My oldest son drew a great NM elk tag this fall so that is what we will be trying to fit in between his JV football games.

We use this machine basically for family joy rides up in the mountains, hunting, camping trips, etc.

I have already dipped a toe in the rabbit-hole of possible modifications and upgrades from this forum. Which, by the way, this forum is INCREDIBLE haha. I can tell many of you are experts and Im hoping I can learn from some of your past experiences and recommendations.

Was wanting to kind of throw out what I am planning on doing with my Pioneer to see if anyone has any feedback or thoughts. I know there are hundreds of threads I can reference and I dont mind doing the work and searching but was hoping to streamline the process.

Here is what I am looking to add:
1. Roof - Im looking for a simple, inexpensive hard roof. I've looked around online and haven't found anything that really jumped out at me. Looking for something simple and inexpensive.

2 - Windshield - I had a half windshield on my Viking and loved cutting down the wind and cold while still having a clear view in front of me rather than having to clean a full windshield. I purchased a 1/4", scratch resistant half windshield from these guys based off of a few threads I found on the forums: UTV Accessories, UTV Windshields USA Scratch Resistant!

3 - Lights - I am thinking I would like to add a small LED bar on the front, like the 12" light bar that is sold by the store here, as well as a 30 to 50" light bar mounted up high. I also like the idea of having some type of dome lights but have never had those before and was just fine.

4 - Winch - Looking for the best bang for my buck. I rarely had to use the winch on my Viking, so I want something that could get me out of trouble or to lift a deer up into a tree, and that is easy to mount with the Deluxe bumper setup.

5 - Switches - I would like to have LED rocker switches where possible, both on what came stock on the Deluxe as well as on what may be added for lights and accessories.

6 - From a bunch of the threads and videos I've come across it sounds like adding a 2nd battery is the way to go. I can install most things by following a video tutorial but I am by no means an expert mechanic or electrician. So wherever I can go plug n play or simplify things I would prefer that.

So to sum up, I basically am looking for the best suggestions for a 2nd battery setup to power a smaller light bar, a full size light bar, rocker switches, maybe a dome light.

If any of you could share recommendations given the above or specific threads that would help me that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey guys new member and Pioneer 1000-5 owner here from Spanish Fork, Utah. After a couple of years of wanting to make the switch I finally sold my Viking 700 and ordered a new Pioneer 1000-5 deluxe in white. I've always loved Honda everything and this machine already feels like such an upgrade to me!

Quick intro on me, Im 40 years old, my wife and I have 4 boys ages 8 to 15. We love the outdoors, we are avid deer and elk hunters, and I typically try to get a good archery elk hunt every fall somewhere in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, CO, or NM. My oldest son drew a great NM elk tag this fall so that is what we will be trying to fit in between his JV football games.

We use this machine basically for family joy rides up in the mountains, hunting, camping trips, etc.

I have already dipped a toe in the rabbit-hole of possible modifications and upgrades from this forum. Which, by the way, this forum is INCREDIBLE haha. I can tell many of you are experts and Im hoping I can learn from some of your past experiences and recommendations.

Was wanting to kind of throw out what I am planning on doing with my Pioneer to see if anyone has any feedback or thoughts. I know there are hundreds of threads I can reference and I dont mind doing the work and searching but was hoping to streamline the process.

1. Roof - Im looking for a simple, inexpensive hard roof. I've looked around online and haven't found anything that really jumped out at me. Looking for something simple and inexpensive.

2 - Windshield - I had a half windshield on my Viking and loved cutting down the wind and cold while still having a clear view in front of me rather than having to clean a full windshield. I purchased a 1/4", scratch resistant half windshield from these guys based off of a few threads I found on the forums: UTV Accessories, UTV Windshields USA Scratch Resistant!

3 - Lights - I am thinking I would like to add a small LED bar on the front, like the 12" light bar that is sold by the store here, as well as a 30 to 50" light bar mounted up high. I also like the idea of having some type of dome lights but have never had those before and was just fine.

4 - Winch - Looking for the best bang for my buck. I rarely had to use the winch on my Viking, so I want something that could get me out of trouble or to lift a deer up into a tree, and that is easy to mount with the Deluxe bumper setup.

5 - Switches - I would like to have LED rocker switches where possible, both on what came stock on the Deluxe as well as on what may be added for lights and accessories.

6 - From a bunch of the threads and videos I've come across it sounds like adding a 2nd battery is the way to go. I can install most things by following a video tutorial but I am by no means an expert mechanic or electrician. So wherever I can go plug n play or simplify things I would prefer that.

So to sum up, I basically am looking for the best suggestions for a 2nd battery setup to power a smaller light bar, a full size light bar, rocker switches, maybe a dome light.

If any of you could share recommendations given the above or specific threads that would help me that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance
WELCOME from NW AR! Go to the forums and scroll down until you get to the P1 section and pick what your looking for. I like the Alien Shade roof when it's not raining, think a little over $ 100.00

Kinlaw

Kinlaw

Mar 26, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from NC and congrats! I love the look of those white machines, although I'm having to use my imagination right now.

Be sure to check out the Club Store (link at the top of this website) for some stuff you'll need for your upcoming projects.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks in advance

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Thanks in advance
Like Smitty said, get in the Pioneer 1000 forums for everything you need to know. And probably some you don’t…..🤔

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I need a beer after reading all that LOL

welcome Michigan!

sounds like you got it covered LOL
All but……
POCS OR IT DIDINT HAPPEN!

T

Teamkrieg

May 19, 2021
Jefferson City
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks in advance
I am Thinking about doing some dome lights on 2018 Pioneer 1000-5D as well, and I have seen a few people take rock lights and zip tie/mount them to the roll cage and put them on a dimmer switch. Seems to function pretty well.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from southern Arizona. I’d put a good 1/2” UHMW skid plate on your to do list. SATV has a decent unit and you get a club discount.

Reactions: Rayger143
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda roof. Badlands winch with warn mount. I use the true kit for second battery. Anything you get from club store is top self.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need a beer after reading all that LOL

welcome Michigan!

sounds like you got it covered LOL
All but……
POCS OR IT DIDINT HAPPEN!
I’m still having trouble loading PICS… now I gotta figure out how to load POCS too???🤦‍♂️

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks in advance
Welcome from the mountains of WNC…
Definitely the wEnch, I put the viper 5000# on my D Lux. Most definitely do the skid plate. I did the trail armor but @SuperATV has one to that is very comparable. God luck on an “inexpensive roof” you might find one in the “Iwanna “ section on the home page. I have the plug and play 12”add a light that is triggered by the the high beam switch from the club store, it works great. I also did the True battery isolated and second battery, I put all my accessories on it and I have them triggered as key on also from the club store. As far as dome lights… My daughter got me a battery powered light that has Velcro straps and attaches to the cage, works real good and I can take it with me if I need a light outside for something. Good luck and as always Pics or it didn’t happen.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats and welcome. Honda roof, SATV flip up windshield. The club store is awesome for plug n play. When your done installing all that be sure to read more on tires, wheels, a-arms, shocks, sound system, storage mods……… Good luck! It’s an addiction.

Reactions: Homer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!