• Thread starter LincolnSixAlpha
  • Start date
L

LincolnSixAlpha

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm a new Honda Talon owner, and in fact, this is the first SXS that I've ever owned. That said, the Honda build quality is, well --- typical Honda so I'm very happy with my new ride. I do have a few basic questions regarding the unit and mainly evolve around, what I suspect is the suspension.

As I ride here in Arizona, I'm noticing as I put more miles on (294mi now) that the suspension or something is squeaking on suspension flex. It's constant and quite annoying but cannot pinpoint it specifically. Riding to the OHV area on my local roads, perhaps 4-5 miles I hear nothing. Only when I get into the whoops and what not do I hear this annoying squeaking.

Furthermore, I've noticed dropouts on the various sections of offroading, as the wheel and associated suspension drops, I'm guessing that the travel is bottoming out at max drop with a thud. Of course, I try to mitigate this, but it's also quite annoying. Is there any way to eliminate this, or install some sort of suspension travel limit strap?

The first day I took this thing out there was none of these behaviors, and has seemed to come about as time and miles pile on. I'd love to send my suspension off to shock therapy but spent so much as it is already and just trying to survive with what I have for the time being.

Thanks, Brian.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The squeak might be the spring separator(?) sliding on the shock body. Find a dry lube and give each a squirt. I wouldn't use WD-40, it will attract dust.

That 'top out' clunk is standard issue with the Talon. :confused: Shock Therapy just came out with a limiter strap kit for the Talon, IDIOT posted it in a thread "Finally".

(1) FINALLY! - The Honda Side by Side Club! (hondasxs.com)

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I’m in AZ and I notice some squeaking after riding for awhile. I think like CID said it might be the slider on the shocks. Maybe the fine sand and dust. I’m going to try his suggestion with the dry lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Zoni here too . It sounds to me like if the shocks are topping out and clunking when they do , something might be amiss with the shocks . Take to the dealer (warranty) have them check the gas in the shocks . Mine has never done that with 5k on it . I put 3k on it with bandit tender springs ,then I had Weller Racing work there magic on them and never experienced what you're having . OH BTW Weller is a#1 . A friend spent 1500 @ ST for the works , I spent under 1000 and mine is smoother then hers . We both have Xs .

Reactions: Blownzuki and JS45
L

LincolnSixAlpha

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you for that. I'll be looking into the Shock Therapy setup today, and I believe you probably spot on with the spring separator. I'll be picking up some dry lube today as well! :)

Reactions: Blownzuki and CID
prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi Brian We are in Tucson (Oro Valley) If you are looking for someone to head out with drop a note to my girl friend and I are always open to new places and people to explore with. My goes in Monday to Shock Therapy so will be able to tell you or let you drive the difference. Dave and Rosanne

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you for that. I'll be looking into the Shock Therapy setup today, and I believe you probably spot on with the spring separator. I'll be picking up some dry lube today as well! :)
👍

Look into Weller Racing too. ST is racing orientated and lean toward setting up for higher speeds than I ride, at least ask them about it. Disclaimer - this is only my newb opinion learned from posts on this site over the last year.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
👍

Look into Weller Racing too. ST is racing orientated and lean toward setting up for higher speeds than I ride, at least ask them about it. Disclaimer - this is only my newb opinion learned from posts on this site over the last year.
Weller Racing did mine and they gave me exactly what I asked for. Great slow speed and a SUPER plush medium speed setup. A little soft for the dunes but I knew that going in (you cannot set up a machine that will excel in all terrains) and although I love the dunes, I am not crazy there. Also helped tremendously with wheel articulation during rock crawling. My R is a totally different machine. Wifey now LOVES the machine and will go for rides with me again.

Weller asks a lot of questions and will set it up however you want (not how they think you need like the other guys). They will be straight up with you and tell you if your expectations are realistic. What they told me was exactly what I got.

Be advised, ANY of the shock tunes will make your front shocks "thump" when the shocks fully extend as the front wheels come off the ground, especially if you have heavier than stock tires/wheels. This is common in many UTV's, even a stock Talon will occasionally do this during aggressive riding.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Weller Racing did mine and they gave me exactly what I asked for. Great slow speed and a SUPER plush medium speed setup. A little soft for the dunes but I knew that going in (you cannot set up a machine that will excel in all terrains) and although I love the dunes, I am not crazy there. Also helped tremendously with wheel articulation during rock crawling. My R is a totally different machine. Wifey now LOVES the machine and will go for rides with me again.

Weller asks a lot of questions and will set it up however you want (not how they think you need like the other guys). They will be straight up with you and tell you if your expectations are realistic. What they told me was exactly what I got.

Be advised, ANY of the shock tunes will make your front shocks "thump" when the shocks fully extend as the front wheels come off the ground, especially if you have heavier than stock tires/wheels. This is common in many UTV's, even a stock Talon will occasionally do this during aggressive riding.
Being mechanically sympathetic, I first noticed the top out clunking in Lil_Steve’s Talon R at Sand Hollow, my first real SxS exposure. As I become more comfortable as a SxS driver, the topping out is increasing proportionally to my increasing speed, also in an R. The Talon (R at least) doesn’t seem to have any internal shock provisions to damp the mechanical stop at full extension. My dual sport motorcycle has a short spring to soften that clunk but it subtracts from total travel. Limiter straps are in my future. ST says only the fronts have the problem (at least on the R).

For the curious - short top out spring on the left, full length fork spring on the right, blue Cogent DDC in the middle.
IMG 7356 L

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Being mechanically sympathetic, I first noticed the top out clunking in Lil_Steve’s Talon R at Sand Hollow, my first real SxS exposure. As I become more comfortable as a SxS driver, the topping out is increasing proportionally to my increasing speed, also in an R. The Talon (R at least) doesn’t seem to have any internal shock provisions to damp the mechanical stop at full extension. My dual sport motorcycle has a short spring to soften that clunk but it subtracts from total travel. Limiter straps are in my future. ST says only the fronts have the problem (at least on the R).
I have limit straps on mine, the "thump" was getting on my nerves at the dunes. Every time I crested a hill I would hear it.

I simply bought some 25" straps from PRP, 1" spacers for the top bolt and 1.25" spacers for the bottom and 12X1.25X90mm bolts. All total about $70. Simple, cheap and most importantly... NO MORE THUMP!!!

I also strapped the rear but not for noise. I limited the rear travel to see if it would reduce the bucking. The rear geometry on the R is EXCELLENT for rock crawling but when the suspension unloads, the geometry angles cause it to buck. limiting the rear travel made it jump flat so I use the straps at the dunes and remove them for everything else.

I plan on creating adjustable mount points for the rear geometry so that I can adjust the rear suspension for the type of riding I will be doing. If my calculations are correct, all it will take is for the upper trailing arm front mount to be adjustable. I would have had it done by now but personal things (most of you know what I am talking about) have slowed everything down for me. Maybe by summer if all goes well.

L

LincolnSixAlpha

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is common in many UTV's, even a stock Talon will occasionally do this during aggressive riding.

Apparently, I've been riding pretty aggressively then! Hey, I figured these things were made for this, so I wasn't holding back, but If I can prevent problems then I will. I like the fact that you made some for cheap, although I'm not familiar with the products you've listed, or can conceptually visualize how you made yours. I looked over Shock Therapy's limiters and while I feel they are a little salty @ 270, at least they appear to be made well. I was considering getting a full shock job done by them and simply add in the limiters. Shock Therapy seems to be close to me, so I was just gonna take the Talon down to them, but alas I need to buy a trailer now!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Apparently, I've been riding pretty aggressively then! Hey, I figured these things were made for this, so I wasn't holding back, but If I can prevent problems then I will. I like the fact that you made some for cheap, although I'm not familiar with the products you've listed, or can conceptually visualize how you made yours. I looked over Shock Therapy's limiters and while I feel they are a little salty @ 270, at least they appear to be made well. I was considering getting a full shock job done by them and simply add in the limiters. Shock Therapy seems to be close to me, so I was just gonna take the Talon down to them, but alas I need to buy a trailer now!
Put the car on jack stands and pull all 4 shocks (8 bolts) and bring them to shock therapy? Seems easier and cheaper than going to buy a trailer.

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
What interest rates are you guys getting financing a talon?
Also for how long. Thanks

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Right now there is a really good offer from Honda if you have good enough credit.

I try not to finance “toys” so I’m not sure the credit requirements are for the Honda card.

D850249F E6CA 4D04 A7DA 148FBD8CEDEC

L

LincolnSixAlpha

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ended up with honda financing, I believe the rate I recieved right around 4.2% or something around there. I'm not sure of the lenght but I'd guess 4 or 5 years.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
The top out clunk felt in the front is usually brought on by hanging more weight on the front 2 corners, ie after market wheels and tires. I am running System 3 beadlock wheels and 32 inch Terrabites so I have alot more weight hanging fr0om the shocks. When the front wheels are off the ground that xtra weight overcomes the shocks ability to slow down or rebound dampn it and the shock quickly tops out before the wheels are back on the ground causing the clunk. Limit straps solve this problem. Also if you put more preload into the springs for more ride height, that too will also contribute to the dreaded clunk. If you are still on a stock setup or close to it you may not have an issue with it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The top out clunk felt in the front is usually brought on by hanging more weight on the front 2 corners, ie after market wheels and tires. I am running System 3 beadlock wheels and 32 inch Terrabites so I have alot more weight hanging fr0om the shocks. When the front wheels are off the ground that xtra weight overcomes the shocks ability to slow down or rebound dampn it and the shock quickly tops out before the wheels are back on the ground causing the clunk. Limit straps solve this problem. Also if you put more preload into the springs for more ride height, that too will also contribute to the dreaded clunk. If you are still on a stock setup or close to it you may not have an issue with it.
Good point. I never rode the red Talon with these wheels (STI HD9) and 30" tires (Chicane RX). They were installed before I picked up the white one, so I never drove it with stock wheels.
I ZbnP6RR XL

Reactions: IDIOT
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X

You're in AZ, just drive it there!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice lookn machine, is that a 2021?
Yes it is. There's a thread in the Pub explaining the story - "They Stole My Talon" - there's some serious cussing on my part. :mad:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!