P500 New P500 owner

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
After this fall's elk hunt I decided I needed to do something to make life easier. Got to use a Razor 570 and it really made things better, so I started shopping. I knew I wanted a trail size machine so I could get to more places. I was sold on the P500 because it is more hunter friendly. Really liked having a roll cage when compared to quads. At my age I don't bounce anymore when I do something stupid ;-) I ended up with a yellow 2015 machine with the Honda/Warn winch and plow accessories. Also added a roof and windshield. Spent this last weekend installing everything and making some improvements. The photos show an aluminum tray I formed up to hold a tool bag. I attached it with heavy tie wraps and left them a little loose so the tray can be tipped up for access. The front end sits on top of the radiator brackets. Not sure what I'm going to do on the back rack yet.

DSC 1158
DSC 1159

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
Looks good , welcome ! You'll really enjoy your P500 I know we have

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
After this fall's elk hunt I decided I needed to do something to make life easier. Got to use a Razor 570 and it really made things better, so I started shopping. I knew I wanted a trail size machine so I could get to more places. I was sold on the P500 because it is more hunter friendly. Really liked having a roll cage when compared to quads. At my age I don't bounce anymore when I do something stupid ;-) I ended up with a yellow 2015 machine with the Honda/Warn winch and plow accessories. Also added a roof and windshield. Spent this last weekend installing everything and making some improvements. The photos show an aluminum tray I formed up to hold a tool bag. I attached it with heavy tie wraps and left them a little loose so the tray can be tipped up for access. The front end sits on top of the radiator brackets. Not sure what I'm going to do on the back rack yet.

View attachment 8117 View attachment 8118
Welcome to the club,I like seeing people build their own accessories, it gives you a little more pride in your ride.There are a lot of great ideas on this sight for rear rack upgrades and other improvements.If you can dream it up, It can be done,

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Welcome to the forum! Glad to see another new fabricator join the mix!

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Finally got around to a few more things. I added an aluminum angle bracket one each side of the roll bars using the existing bolts. This is for a Big Sky gun rack that attaches cross ways. Could not find any I liked better. Most mount front to rear and that hangs the gun well away from the roof, less head room.
DSC 1169

Next up was finding a box for the rear. I'll be using the machine for prairie dog shooting and elk hunting. The smarbin was from Walmart for $45. I mounted it to the plywood platform with a couple aluminum angles. Since I attached the plywood with heavy tie wraps I thought is would be a good idea to rig a strap too. Probably a good idea when I trailer the unit. I put plastic spiral wrap around the rack tubes to help protect the paint. The reason I used tie wraps was to avoid drilling holes and making future rust points. The gap between the box and roll cage is where I'll stow the shooting benches.

Next up is getting some side mirrors for plowing.
DSC 1175

DSC 1177

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@oldfortyfive Welcome to the club and congrats on the P500, should serve you very well for your hunting excursions. Some pretty nice ideas you worked out. Keep us posted on your future additions / modifications.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Finally got around to a few more things. I added an aluminum angle bracket one each side of the roll bars using the existing bolts. This is for a Big Sky gun rack that attaches cross ways. Could not find any I liked better. Most mount front to rear and that hangs the gun well away from the roof, less head room.
View attachment 8269

Next up was finding a box for the rear. I'll be using the machine for prairie dog shooting and elk hunting. The smarbin was from Walmart for $45. I mounted it to the plywood platform with a couple aluminum angles. Since I attached the plywood with heavy tie wraps I thought is would be a good idea to rig a strap too. Probably a good idea when I trailer the unit. I put plastic spiral wrap around the rack tubes to help protect the paint. The reason I used tie wraps was to avoid drilling holes and making future rust points. The gap between the box and roll cage is where I'll stow the shooting benches.

View attachment 8270

View attachment 8271
I am not meaning this to sound like its a bad thing, just trying to help.
Have you ever considered using the rubber Jeep hood hold down "thingy's" to hold that box on. Should mount up very well and allow access to that box when you need it.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I am not meaning this to sound like its a bad thing, just trying to help.
Have you ever considered using the rubber Jeep hood hold down "thingy's" to hold that box on. Should mount up very well and allow access to that box when you need it.

I did, but didn't think the box was sturdy enough. Biggest concern was when I trailer it with the wind and road roughing things up. I'm planning on 2800 mile trips.

Reactions: MaleRN28US
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I did, but didn't think the box was sturdy enough. Biggest concern was when I trailer it with the wind and road roughing things up. I'm planning on 2800 mile trips.
I can understand that. I guess I thought the plastic was thicker. I just have a thing for a "clean" look. Function is more important though.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I can understand that. I guess I thought the plastic was thicker. I just have a thing for a "clean" look. Function is more important though.

There just isn't much in the way of good solid boxes out there that are big enough short of having a custom made aluminum one.

advertisement
RODNUT

RODNUT

May 16, 2015
There just isn't much in the way of good solid boxes out there that are big enough short of having a custom made aluminum one.
TRACTOR SUPPLY aluminum 46 in. truck box fits perfect and is waterproof and dust tite. Very sturdy and well made and lockable. Every long gun that i have except shotguns will fit in the box.
IMG 0557

Last edited:
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
TRACTOR SUPPLY aluminum 46 in. truck box fits perfect and is waterproof and dust tite. Very sturdy and well made and lockable. Every long gun that i have except shotguns will fit in the box.View attachment 8272
I saw it, but found it too narrow and not tall enough to hold my prairie dog stuff.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015

View attachment 8117 View attachment 8118
Good move. Welcome to the forum.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
View attachment 8269

View attachment 8270

View attachment 8271
I had that same bin lol its HUGE but breaks way to easy btw watch out for the weak hinges

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I had that same bin lol its HUGE but breaks way to easy btw watch out for the weak hinges
At least it's cheap. The aluminum boxes are typically too narrow to hold my prairie dog shooting gear.

Reactions: JACKAL
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
DSC 1180
Finally installed a Big Sky rifle rack in the roof. Works well with short rifles, but given the room under there it is probably best set up for a single rifle. Either way the rack gives me another place to secure stuff. The angle brackets I put in to mount the rack on provide some additional flexiblity.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
At least it's cheap. The aluminum boxes are typically too narrow to hold my prairie dog shooting gear.
Now I could get into vaporizing me some Prairie Dogs :rolleyes:

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Now I could get into vaporizing me some Prairie Dogs :rolleyes:
tons of fun there....

The plastic box is wide enough to hold two bucket seats, rifle rests and ammo.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!