P1000m5 Newbie from NE Ohio

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
66a8e51d9176810ad69b9d984dd6e040
Bought a new 2016 PK5 EPS a few weeks ago. This is my first SXS. To be honest if I didn't have 5 kids I may have gone another route. Did a little break in ride then took it to Mines and Meadows last weekend. The family had a great time.

My thoughts on the machine. Surprising good ride with 5 people. This was three adults and two teens. From the driver seat it felt great. My wife switched with one of the kids at one point and rode in the back. This was a terrible idea. She was not happy with how much more bouncy it was. The hot seat issue quickly became known by all that sat in the front. I'm quite disappointed Honda didn't address this. They are usually phenomenal with ergonomics and function. I realize it's not a jeep but I shouldn't have to reengineer the seating so my ass doesn't turn into a rump roast.

My biggest complaint would be the seat belt cutting into my neck. It sucks. I will be getting a pad for that.

The ride for me was surprisingly good for what is really more of a utility than a sport machine. It handled well and I only bottomed out a couple times. I did pay attention to the self adjusting rear shocks. They seemed to work well. I didn't really need 4 wheel drive. With passengers in the back it digs great. It was a little sloppy in places and I had no problems. I ran in 2 wheel lock and sport mode. Sport mode works great for trail riding. It seems to work great for keeping in the power. It shifted well.

All in all I am very happy with the machine. It provides a way for my family to get out and enjoy the trails and spend some time together.

I have installed a winch and small light bar on the bumper. I also installed a fuse block and ground bar. A half windshield and stereo are in the works.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Very cool, it's always good to hear someone happy with their purchase. You can fix the seat heat fairly easy. Just ask around one of us will be willing to help if you need it.

Reactions: Tigermark
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome to the forum from Texas

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad that you've joined us. It's a great ride. ENJOY!!!!!

mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
welcome to the forum from Georgia. newbie also
Enjoy!

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum. Where in NE ohio?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club from Painesville.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 43727
Bought a new 2016 PK5 EPS a few weeks ago. This is my first SXS. To be honest if I didn't have 5 kids I may have gone another route. Did a little break in ride then took it to Mines and Meadows last weekend. The family had a great time.

My thoughts on the machine. Surprising good ride with 5 people. This was three adults and two teens. From the driver seat it felt great. My wife switched with one of the kids at one point and rode in the back. This was a terrible idea. She was not happy with how much more bouncy it was. The hot seat issue quickly became known by all that sat in the front. I'm quite disappointed Honda didn't address this. They are usually phenomenal with ergonomics and function. I realize it's not a jeep but I shouldn't have to reengineer the seating so my ass doesn't turn into a rump roast.

My biggest complaint would be the seat belt cutting into my neck. It sucks. I will be getting a pad for that.

The ride for me was surprisingly good for what is really more of a utility than a sport machine. It handled well and I only bottomed out a couple times. I did pay attention to the self adjusting rear shocks. They seemed to work well. I didn't really need 4 wheel drive. With passengers in the back it digs great. It was a little sloppy in places and I had no problems. I ran in 2 wheel lock and sport mode. Sport mode works great for trail riding. It seems to work great for keeping in the power. It shifted well.

All in all I am very happy with the machine. It provides a way for my family to get out and enjoy the trails and spend some time together.

I have installed a winch and small light bar on the bumper. I also installed a fuse block and ground bar. A half windshield and stereo are in the works.
Welcome! There are two fixes out for the heat issue and work pretty well. When you bottomed out was it in the front? I think the added weight of the winch contributes to this, some are using spacers on the springs to add more spring to the front and other are adding accessories shocks, I'm running Elka Stage 5's and love them. Very pricy though! Honda's are not performance Polaris's but can be made to be a real zippy utility rig!

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from WV

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from SE Missouri

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!